Chapter Twenty-Nine- Café Bombón

{Chapter Twenty-Nine}

Mission #3: Expose the criminal.

As soon as school is out, I head straight for Max's house.  I decided to go early because I don't want to meet Max while I am exposing Cara.  His swimming practice has been extended in the afternoons for the competition so he won't be home anytime soon.  I know this for sure because Meme and Tesha gathered information about Max's schedule so that the plan could be executed effectively.  Speaking of Tesha and Meme, they were absolutely shocked and upset when they heard the recording, especially Meme.  She was ready to pull the girl's hair out.

The tall, iron gates of the McKnights' residence now tower over me once again as butterflies flutter in my stomach.  The worst case scenario is that Ester won't let me in and if she doesn't this whole plan will flop. My palms sweat at the possibility as I shakily press the doorbell.

A few nerve-wracking minutes pass before a familiar voice comes through the speaker. "Hello?"

My belly flips with nervousness as Ester's voice enters my ears. "Good afternoon, Ester. This is Jade. I would like to speak with you for a moment, please."

~~~~~~~~~~~

Ester's P.O.V:

"Good afternoon, Ester. This is Jade. I would like to speak with you for a moment, please."  I hear her voice, causing my back to straighten. I open my mouth to deny her request but close it when my husband's words come to mind.

"Instead of listening to external forces, listen to your heart and then decide if you're wrong or not"

Then I remember my own mental declaration.

'Heart, I'm all ears'

I close my eyes and search my heart. I search my heart for the answer. I feel myself peel away the haze that blocks it from me.  After seconds of vigorous peeling and searching, I find it. It is loud and clear.

"Come in, dear," I say softly before lifting my finger off the button of the speaker.

~~~~~~~~~~

Jade's P.O.V:

I hold my breath as I wait for Ester to respond, the thought of her possible departure crossing my mind. Just as I let out a sigh of disappointment, I hear a faint voice say," Come in, dear."

My eyes widen in surprise and a relieved smile pulls at my lips as the gate swings open. I speed walk up the driveway, urgency flowing through my veins numbing the burn in my legs.  I finally make it to the front door after what seems like forever and knock on the wood, the sound echoing off the pillars.  I play with my fingers anxiously as the phone in my back pocket seems to get heavier with every second that passes. The door opens revealing the solemn face of Ester.

"What is this about?" she asks, not looking me in the eyes but rather pass my ear.

"Cara," I say causing her eyes to lift to meet mines abruptly.

She steps to the side, opening the door wider to let me in.  I enter, hearing the door close behind me.  Ester comes in front of me, motioning for me to follow her with a swift gesture of her hand. I follow her up the stairs and in a candle lit study. We take a seat before she speaks.

"What about Cara?" she asks, her face emotionless.

I pull my phone out and unlock it before pressing play on the recording, the volume up to all.  I place it on the wooden table between us as Cara's venomous words seem to swirl around us.  I watch Ester's face as so many emotion showcase themselves.  Regret, hurt and pain being the most prominent.  As I watch the display, it hurts me to see tears in her eyes.  It becomes so hard to watch that I look down at my lap, my own tears wanting to fall.

The dreadful recording finally comes to an end. The silence that settles in the study is so thick it could be cut with a knife.  A tear slides down my cheek as I feel a soft, slender hand cover mine.  I look up to see Ester's warm, brown eyes sparkling with tears as the regret in them causes yet another tear to slide down my cheek.

"I'm so sorry," she says softly, her voice strained.  I can't say anything as the emotions that course through me become overwhelming.  Instead, I nod as my lips quiver.

Ester gets up from her seat and wraps me in her arms. "I'm so sorry."

I wrap my arms around her, rubbing comforting circles on her back, indicating that it's okay. That I forgive her.  We stay like this, our cries echoing off the shelves of books in the study and our shoulders shaking.

"She told me not to tell you and Max because she didn't want him to hate her.  I would have never expected that she would betray me like this.  I'm so sorry, Jade.  I should've known better.  I knew you weren't like that, I shouldn't have let her influence me like that." Ester cries even harder, her apologetic voice causing my heart to break even more.

"It's okay, Ester.  I knew you would have never done this without a reason and I never resented you," I reassure her, her tears wetting my shoulder.

She pulls away far enough to see my face, a gently smile lighting up her face. " Thank you.  How about some tea and girl talk like old times?"

"Count me in."  I smile back at her.

Just like that, it seems like I hop into a time machine and go back in time to the days when Ester and I would sit and laugh all day long together.  As I smile up at her and she smiles down at me, I mentally stamp 'complete' on mission #3.  Now, time for the very last part of the plan.  Mission #4  now commences. 

~Hello everyone! :D  How are you on this fine day? I hope all is well.  Thank you for coming back once again and I really hope you enjoyed this chapter just as much as the others.  What could Mission #4 possibly be?  Put your thoughts in the comments and don't forget to vote and share this book :D Until next time! *waves*~