Chapter 3 ○ I'm Fine

★。\|/。★

  ❝HE IS VERY PECULIAR IN A GOOD WAY

  ❝HE IS VERY PECULIAR IN A GOOD WAY.❞

★。/|\。★

GRACE GRAYSON

I got in my car ready to head home after work. Today was a manageable day, mostly because Captain Essen didn't have anyone to call into her office. That is my job, after all, to do things for her. I actually like working for Captain Essen since she is one of the most generous bosses I have ever had. 

I stepped into my apartment door, and I saw James. He was reading the newspaper, and there was a concern in his eyes. I went over to the counter and put down my purse. I took off my heels and went over to James.

"James, what's wrong? Did something happen at work?"

"No, it's just this new story in the news. This is too messed up."

He slid the newspaper over to me, and the cover story was "Valeska Murder Case Solved; Murderer Determined to be Son." I gasped with disgust. What sick maniac would murder their own mother? I got sort of startled when I heard a buzzing coming from my phone in my purse. I picked up my phone and saw that it was Mr. Nygma.

"Hello?"

"Hello, Miss Grayson, it's me Mr. Nygma. I was wondering if you wanted to accompany me for dinner?"

I was confused, and I realized I never told him that I was in a relationship. Was this an invitation to a date? I was silent for a few minutes, and then I decided to answer as I felt the tension growing.

"Mr. Nygma, are you inviting me on a date? If so, I'm sorry to tell you, but I already have a boyfriend. We could still go just to talk though."

James raised an eyebrow as I said this. I realized how awkward this must be, saying you have a partner to someone your significant other doesn't know. James opened his mouth to say something but I raised my finger up so he would stay silent.

"Oh, I wasn't asking you on a date. I was asking just as friends. So, do you? I already started cooking pasta, if that's okay with you."

I sighed with relief because I could tell James was getting slightly angry. He sighed too, assuming it was not a date invitation.

"Okay, send me your apartment address and I'll be over soon! See you there Mr. Nygma."

"Likewise, Miss Grayson. Goodbye."

I hung up the phone and immediately looked over at James. He was obviously confused. I could tell just because of the way he was staring at me. His eyebrows slightly rose, and his mouth was slightly open assuming he was going to say something.

"Who was that exactly? Who is Mr. Nygma, may I ask?"

"It's one of my co-workers, Edward Nygma. He works in forensics. You know, with dead bodies and other gross things like that. I wouldn't be surprised if he picks the onions out of his Chinese food surgically. He seems like one of those guys, he is very peculiar in a good way."

James laughed and told me to have fun, but not too much fun. I kissed him and walked out of the door after getting my heels back on. I didn't know if wearing the same outfit was okay, but since it wasn't a date, I was sure he wouldn't mind. 

SHORT TIME SKIP

When I got to Mr. Nygma's apartment, I knocked on the door. I was nervous about what he would say about my outfit and if he thought I was a slob because I wore the same outfit after work. I heard some dishes clanking and footsteps from outside of the door, and I also heard Edward muttering "No" to himself. I don't know why, but I felt like he was talking to himself. I could've sworn I heard him say "She doesn't like me, she has a boyfriend! I'm not trying to flirt with her, I just want to have dinner with her!" It kind of freaked me out, but maybe he was just thinking out loud.

"Hello, Edward? Are you in there?"

He muttered, as to what I could hear, "Oh dear" and he ran over to the door. His hands were very jittery with the locks, and the door knob was moving at a jittery stance. After what seemed to be an eternity, the door opened and Edward was standing there and was obviously very sweaty and nervous. 

"Hello Miss Grayson, please come in! Sorry, I was finishing up the cooking."

I smiled and sat down on the chair, and like a gentleman, he pushed the chair in for me. He obviously was a very good cook, because he made a lot of food that usually would be seen in a beautiful restaurant, so basically not one that's in Gotham. 

I smiled and suddenly felt very ill. My head hurt extremely bad. It was at this time that I started feeling hot. "Excuse me, I'll be right b-back." I got up slowly and stumbled over to the bathroom. My vision was a bit blurry and I felt dizzy with every step I took. I went into the bathroom and slammed the door behind me. 

"Miss Grayson? Are you alright?" He seemed concerned, and I started sweating as I became more annoyed. I had only been in the bathroom for about thirty seconds, and he felt the need to ask. 

"I'm fine Edward, I just need a few minutes." 

I wasn't fine at all.