Chapter 26 ○ Savior

Grace's POV

The pounding got louder and louder. James was obviously struggling on what he should do. He ran over and covered my mouth. He walked over to the door and looked through the peephole. I banged on the door with my free hand and it was very loud. James grabbed my hand tightly, causing it to start to bruise. 

"Last time, open the door, now!" I recognized the voice, it was Jim Gordon. How did they know that I was in trouble? James saw that they started picking the apartment locks and put his body against the door, setting me free on mistake. "Help, please!" I yelled with the loudest voice I could. They kicked in the door, knocking James down with it. 

"Oh my god, thank you, Jim." Tears came from my eyes, and I could tell that they were tears of happiness. James wasn't the same, he was a monster. They took him out of the room carrying him by his shoulders. "I'm glad you banged on the door like that, if we knocked down the door with you still near it, that would have been bad." He chuckled and cleared his throat.

Harvey Bullock came in with the suspected news. "Don't worry, we'll take the bastard to the holding cells. Why did he attack you?" I explained it so many times. "He was most likely jealous of my friendship with Edward." Both of their expressions changed to surprised. "Nygma? You're friends with Ed Nygma?" Harvey said. I sat down on the couch to relax after taking an ice pack from the freezer for my wrist. 

"Yes, is that a problem?" I looked up at them with anger. I was done with everyone being rude to Edward like this. Jim had decided to intervene. "Harvey didn't mean anything by it. It's not a problem, no." I nodded and rested the ice pack on my swollen wrist. It felt nice and eased the heat rising within me. "Are you coming to work tomorrow?" Jim asked. "Yes, I am. By the way, speaking of work, will I keep my job?" Harvey sighed. "If the next Captain likes you, then yes. You should stay until the next boss shows up."

After the police had left, I decided to head to bed. I went over to the bedroom, changed into my pajamas, and sat on the edge of it. My phone buzzed, and I assumed that it was a text from Edward, and I was right. "Are you okay? You must be exasperated, I know. I hope to see you at work tomorrow, we have much to talk about." I looked at the text message. "How do you know what happened?" I questioned. 

"I'm the one who called the police. You didn't want me to intervene, so I didn't." I thought for a minute. How did he hear everything? "How did you hear us yelling inside of the building?" He responded quickly enough. "You had left one of your lipsticks from your purse at my apartment, I came to give it back." 

It was good timing. Tomorrow would be a long day of explaining and talking. I dreaded it, but I knew I had to. 

A/N

I'm sorry if I ever re-use gifs at the top, I hope no one minds. Thank you for 250 reads! I hope you enjoy this story!