Chapter 11 ○ The Assistant Life

GRACE GRAYSON

Sarah Essen was promoted to Commissioner, but I stayed as the assistant. I didn't mind, especially because I got to go to every press conference the Commissioner was at, along with every gala and charity event. I didn't own many dresses, but with my increased pay check, I definitely had the money to buy some. I decided to expand my wardrobe. I got some clothes that were like my usual, very warm and contrasting.

I got a dark purple dress shirt, a white cardigan which was very light, and I just wore it to look professional. I got a white pencil skirt, which is pretty much the only type of skirt I would dare to wear. I just hoped I wouldn't spill coffee on it on the second day of wearing it. I bought white heels because my flats were something I rarely wore, I enjoyed the heels actually quite a bit more. 

Sarah had been talking about getting me my own office since they were renovating the break room, and I personally said whatever she wanted would be fine.

I decided to buy Edward a present because he was a good friend, and no one really got him any presents for any occasion. I bought him a 1,000 piece puzzle, and I knew he would probably solve it in five minutes. I felt bad about what happened the other day in the Annex.

I talked with Kristen a little bit after what he did. I found it kind that he attempted to organize the Records Annex for her, but she thought the opposite.

Kristen didn't appreciate anything Edward tried to do for her. I found it annoying, but I didn't want to confront her over it. I wanted to tell her that Edward did it as a gesture of kindness, but she kept saying how she would have to clean it up during her break time. I decided to give her some peace and go over to Jim Gordon and Harvey Bullock, who were near their desks. 

"Oh, hey Grace. So, how's the assistant life treating ya'?" said Harvey. He was ignorant, but overall a kind man who was dedicated to his work. 

"It's okay, a lot of writing in my planner though, and not even for my own plans!" The three of us chuckled a bit. "What are you both talking about anyway?" 

"We were just talking about what we thought may have happened at the Wayne murders." Jim's voice was very raspy and deep, it could be scary if he wanted it to be.

"Do you think it had anything to do with the mafia?" They both looked at me with thought. 

"That's a pretty good idea, they were both influential in Gotham. I'll investigate more, maybe get some undercover cops to spy on the mafia. It would be worth a try." Harvey nodded in agreement, and just then Edward came over holding a small bag. He walked closer to our group of three, and then held up the bag and smiled. "Guess what this is?"

Harvey looked at him with an annoyed glare and said "Just tell me, Ed. If I want riddles I'll read the funny pages." Edward glared over at him and then opened a small book with sketches and lots of writing in it. "It's a 45-caliber 300-grain Kupernickel Wadcutter." His smile grew wider and he held up the bag even higher. "Came out of Thomas Wayne's chest. 

Jim took the bag and looked back at Edward. "It's a six dollar bullet." 

Edward looked back at him and started to say a riddle. "Uh-huh. What kind of gun-" 

Harvey quickly butted in when he knew what was happening. "Nah-huh-uh. Don't ask, just tell." I felt bad for Edward, no one ever wanted to answer or listen to his riddles or jokes. 

Edward looked over at me and then to Jim. His expression was solemn and obviously saddened. "It's from a pistol not known by our database, no prints either."

 Harvey wanted to learn more obviously. "What else you got?" 

Edward's smile grew back a little bit, another riddle. "What's nowhere and everywhere, except where something is?" 

I knew the answer immediately, and so did Jim. In unison, we both said "Nothing." Edward looked back at us with awe. 

Harvey got closer to Edward's face and whispered, "You need professional help Nygma, seriously." I was taken aback by the statement, and so was Edward. Both cops walked away together. Why was everyone so rude to him?

A/N

Hello, everyone! I am going to change the riddle Edward told Grace a chapter or two ago to another riddle with the answer "nothing." It's a minor change, so don't worry about re-reading it. Thank you for 100 reads by the way! I appreciate it so much. Here is an Edward Nygma gif for you.