Chapter 18 ○ Companionship

Grace's POV

I woke up in the morning and went through my usual routine. James was more angry and agitated lately, I didn't know why. It was probably because of Edward, but I didn't want to argue with James. I went to work a few minutes early so I could talk with Commissioner Essen. I walked into her office and she smiled up at me. 

I assumed she was filling out paperwork. "Hello Grace, is there anything you need?" I sat down in the chair in front of the desk and looked in my lap. "I just don't know what to do, I feel like my boyfriend doesn't want to be with me anymore, and worst of all, I think it's because of my friendship with Edward." 

She sighed deeply and looked at my eyes. "Grace, if your significant other doesn't want to be with you because of a friendship, it's better to leave that relationship and stay with your friends, but that is my personal opinion." I nodded and went over to my office and put my head in my hands. What the hell is going on in my life? I thought James loved me. Edward is my friend, I don't know why James is so jealous. 

I heard a knock at the door and wiped my small tears. "Come in please." Edward walked in and frowned immediately when he saw me upset. "Grace, what happened? Why are you sobbing?" He moved a chair from the corner of the room to the side of me. He sat down and looked visibly distraught. "It's James, I don't think he likes you being such a good friend to me. He's being a total ass." 

Edward's POV

I hated seeing her like this. I loved her smile, and to see her sad was horrible. He was standing in the corner, he seemed upset too but not as much as me. "She is cute either way, doofus. You should-"  I twitched a bit, but I didn't think she noticed. "Whatever it means, I'm here for you. I'll always be a companion to you." She looked up at me, smiled, and suddenly wrapped her arms around me. I didn't know how to respond so- "Just wrap your arms around her, it's a hug Eddie. You really are anti-social. Also, since you cut me off last time, I cut you off. Now we are even." 

I wrapped my arms around her back and rubbed it. It seemed to make her feel better. "Thanks, Edward, what would I do without a friend like you?" He chuckled in the corner. "We are going to have to change that friendship thing. It's so damn boring." I looked up at him sharply. I just wanted him to shut up. Chatter was starting to fill the outside of the door, work was in full progress.

"Edward, just so you know-" She was cut off by a text message to her phone. "Oh my god." I looked at the text message. It was from her partner, James. He sent her a message describing bodies falling off of the roof of the Gotham Gazette. I assumed he worked there. She got up and apologized before leaving, allowing me to examine her office. 

"Eddie, that's snooping! You are going to get in trouble." 

I didn't care, I wanted to look anyway. She wouldn't get mad if I searched around.