Chapter 13 ○ Intriguing

Edward's POV

We were all discussing the new drug, Viper. Its effects were extremely chaotic. Viper gave the user extreme strength and a sense of power for only a few hours. After that, the drug entered the deadly stage, where soon the bones would crumble in on themselves and the user would die.

The ignoramus Harvey Bullock suggested a way to rid the drug out of Gotham. It was a very bad idea in general. "It'll be mayhem, that's for sure, but it's skull on skull mayhem. If we keep the decent citizens indoors for a couple of weeks, let the scumbags have at it, wall-ah! The end of crime." Miss Grayson rolled her eyes at Detective Bullock's comment. How could this imbecile be a police officer, a detective let alone! 

"That's a horrible idea, Harvey. The so-called decent citizens would be in even more danger with hordes of angry drugged-up zombies going after them." Miss Grayson was completely right, it would be chaos. "This stuff seems hard to make, no?" Detective Gordon was right, it was. It could only be made in a professional lab. "Oh, it takes a high level of technical sophistication. A state of the art lab made this stuff." I replied. Miss Grayson had decided to ask a question. "Okay, so who has the biggest and best lab in the city?"

"The best is WellZyn." Commissioner Essen looked frustrated and clearly deep in thought before replying. "But this is not them. They're a subsidy of Wayne Enterprises, a multi-billion dollar corporation. Why would they be doing this?" The ruckus from outside of the Commissioner's office started to get even louder.  "I don't know, but we might as well start at the top." 

Just then, the glass in the office on one side shattered, and a woman came crashing through. I suppose it was another Viper victim, she appeared to be very strong. Miss Grayson looked shocked at the woman. This was a scientific marvel. How was someone able to alter DNA and change it completely? 

The woman was clearly struggling, and she was yelling at the officers to let her go. Grace and I stood at the opening that was left after the glass was broken, and Detective Bullock and Detective Gordon were standing in front of the woman. The woman's skin turned gray very quickly, and she stopped struggling. Her bones started to collapse on each other. Grace looked in horror, I could completely understand why. 

I whispered to myself. "Fascinating, fascinating!" Grace looked over at me and raised her eyebrows. Science was evolving, very fast and suddenly. 

Oh, by the way, Eddie, you called her Grace. I wonder why you don't call Kringle by her first name. Huh, I think you love her, don't you?

I didn't love Gra-Miss Grayson. She was a friend, and I wanted nothing more.