Chapter 34 ○ Inhuman

Narrator's POV

It was a cold autumn day in Gotham, and Edward had gotten ready to go to the forest. He wanted to clear his mind before seeing Oswald. Edward had an idea of where Oswald had been, and that was in his family's mansion. He knew a bit about Mr. Cobblepot, and it was sort of stalker-ish. Edward wore a red plaid coat and walked around a bit. 

He spent a long time thinking about what he'd done. He didn't mean to kill Grace, but he did. He knew he wouldn't see her again. Edward knew he wouldn't get a second chance. He would never get to see her smile again. The smile that made him laugh. A small tear fell down his face, and he slowly continued to walk throughout the scarce woods.

Grace's POV (Yes, she is dead).

It wasn't long before my senses started to fade. I was sure I was dead, but I couldn't tell for sure. Maybe I had a concussion or something. I was cold, and I looked down at my hands. They were pale and my veins were visible through my skin. I blinked once, and my eyes started to tear up. When I opened my eyes, there was a room. The walls were black, and so was the floor. 

I blinked again, and the floor was flooded with water. It was shallow and was at about ankle height. There were small fading marks of green, and they slowly faded into question marks. They were like the one on Edward's coffee mug. He had kept it on his desk, along with a picture of me. In that moment, I realized what had happened.

Edward had killed me. I was shocked, I didn't know why he did this. I thought he loved me. I was pretty sure that it was an accident.  He had explained about how he killed someone for Kristen. Why did he love her? She was cruel and unkind. She would have a smug look on her face every time Edward had gotten upset or confused. Tom was perfect for her, two inhuman souls together. 

Then I thought about how I had reacted. I told him he was a psychopath. I didn't mean it, but I didn't realize that through the years of abuse that Edward had faced, he wouldn't say that I didn't mean it. I was upset at myself for saying this to him. I had just told him that I loved him, and then told him otherwise. I was becoming Kristen. I was cold-hearted and disrespectful, and I should've known better.

Jim Gordon's POV 

The GCPD was a busy mess as usual. There were cops talking about the usual, people getting coffee, and Harvey Bullock eating a donut. I noticed that someone had not shown up to work. It was Grace Grayson. She had always called in to make sure we knew she wasn't coming, and she didn't. I remember overhearing a conversation she had with Nygma. They were making plans of some sort, but I don't remember what they were about. 

I walked over to the forensics lab and knocked on the door. I heard no radio from inside, nor Nygma talking to himself memorizing math equations. I knocked harder this time, but there was still no answer. The door was locked, so I got my key to open it. Sarah Essen had given me a master key for all of the GCPD to show gratitude. 

I walked in, and Nygma wasn't there. His stuff wasn't even there, which was unusual. I looked over at the desk, and there was a picture of Grace. I knew they were friends, but I started to think about the possibilities. They always went places after work. Sometimes I would see them at the diner across the street, and they were having a pretty good time. 

I needed to know where they were. I walked out of the office and headed towards Captain Barnes's office. He was the new Captain after Essen died, and he was a strict one. Essen would always appreciate a good joke, but if you told Barnes a joke, he would fire you on the spot. He fired a bunch of cops on the first day as acting Captain, and he did not start off on a good note. All of the other cops complained about him, and so did Harvey and I. We didn't like him at all, he was trouble. 

While I was walking, Lee ran up to me. She looked concerned. We had started to grow closer together, and I considered her my girlfriend, but I don't know if she thought the same. "Jim, have you seen Grace anywhere?" She knew too. "No, but I'm going to go look for her. I'll start with Nygma's apartment." She looked at me with a confused look. "Jim, you need a warrant to conduct a full search." I nodded my head, and I realized I would need to go to a judge.

"Alright, I'll go. Tell me if Nygma or Grace show up, okay?" I started to walk away but she grabbed me by the shoulder. "Jim, what if she's fine? It's really none of our business." I let out a frustrated breath of air. "I'm just doing my job." With that, I walked over to my car to go to the courthouse.

A/N 

Oh my god, 900 reads! Thanks so much. I know I took a long time to publish this, but I have to take tests for pre-high school and I also have personal stuff. GOTHAM SEASON 4 IS OFFICIALLY ON! I'm super excited, and I hope Edward gets defrosted soon. I really think either Ivy or Firefly will do something. I won't spoil anything, but I will spoil Penguin's new hairstyle. I don't know if I like it or not, it's so different from before. Tell me your opinions! I would love to know. Also, sorry that I haven't dedicated chapters. I will do it once again when I have breaks in school. Thanks so much! 

 Thanks so much!