Chapter 16 ○ Conscience

Edward's POV

I told you she didn't like you, no one does. Kristen would like me better, just admit it.

I ran into the lab and closed the door. I couldn't comprehend what had just happened. Miss Kringle loved me, I knew it. She just doesn't want to admit it. I sat down at my desk and put my head in my hands. I was resisting tears, but they were close to falling. I heard footsteps come in slowly, and they sounded more like high-heeled shoes. Was it Miss Kringle?

No, It's Grace, you idiot. Kristen never visits you.

He was right because when I looked up, I saw that it was Grace. "Oh my god Edward, I am so sorry. I didn't know you were there, I didn't know she was going to say that either." She put her hand on top of mine and squeezed it. "Please, don't be upset. Kristen has heard too much of other people's opinions. She needs time to think." I looked down again and she spoke again. "Listen, Edward, why don't you stay here for a while, think things out for a bit. I will be back soon." 

I sat there thinking for a long time. Why didn't Miss Kringle love me back? I didn't care what he said, I just wanted quiet time alone. It couldn't be that hard to get, right? Surely not, I wasn't going to be an imbecile and cry about a woman not loving me.

"I don't know Eddie, you might. You already are an imbecile." There he was, standing in the corner of the room as always. "Just leave me alone, I don't want to talk to you." He sighed before letting out a chuckle. "You need to man up, ask Kristen out or she will never think of you as a real man. Just some advice though, don't do it right now."  "We need to plan this out for a while. It is for the best." I stared at him for a while. 

"What? I'm you, I have the same thoughts as you. Go ahead peanut brain, plan it out." I decided to write mathematical equations in my notebook to relax. People thought it was odd but I never did, I loved it in fact. Someone knocked on the door suddenly. "Come in." Grace walked in with a book and a cup of coffee. "I got you these, I couldn't stand to see you upset, especially over something that wasn't your fault." I took the book from her and examined it. "You got me a riddle book?" She chuckled at my excitement. "Even though you may know most of the riddles, I thought it would be a nice gift." 

"Thank you so much. This is a wonderful surprise. What can I do to repay you?" She sighed and thought for a minute. "Accompany me to go play that wonderful quiz show you like. I got two tickets, you up for it?" She actually bought tickets to attend and play the quiz show. "O-Oh dear, of course!" I was so excited. I clapped my hands together and when she left I turned on the radio to hear the show I love so much.