let's talk

I'm about to walk alone to a local coffee shop to get breakfast when I see Ashley following me.

"What the hell do you want?" I yell at her, and she walks faster so that she can catch up.

"Can I talk to you?"

"What? You just want to get more information so you can humiliate me?"

"What? No!"

"Then what is it?"

"Let's talk." She says.

"We are talking."

"That's not what I meant. I meant let's sit together and have an actual conversation."

"Why would I want to converse with you?"

"Because I want to apologize!" She says, and I stop in my tracks.

"What?"

"Can we please just talk?"

"Fine."

We go into some coffee shop named Tim Hortons, take our stuff and sit down.

"Okay, what is it?"

"That stuff you said." She says, referring to me accidentally telling them about my sickness.

"What about it?"

"Is it true?" I stare at the table.

"Yes."

"I just... I want to say that I'm sorry. I thought that you were just another girl that Kevin played, like Emily and I, but we saw that you guys were... You know... Official, I knew we didn't stand a chance. He really does like you, Morgan."

"That doesn't explain why you followed us here."

"I was crazy."

"You are crazy."

"Okay, sure, fine. I did really like him though. I didn't want you to have him because I thought you just walked into his life and gotten him. I guess learning about your... sickness... It made me think about how I didn't really know your story."

"Actually, Kevin and I met ten years ago. He's loved me ever since."

"I didn't know that." She says, "and I'm sorry I didn't take the time to learn or get to know you better before turning on you like I did."

"I guess it's okay." I say, "what about Emily?"

"I'll talk to her. I just hope we can put this behind us and just be... I don't know... Friends?"

"What makes you think I can trust you?"

"I don't know. I guess you can't."

"Well that's going to be a problem."

"I know."

"If you can just... Back off for the next couple weeks, maybe we have a shot at being friends."

"Okay, thank you Morgan."

"And you'll talk to Emily for me?"

"Sure."

"Thanks." I say, as I take my food. "See you later."

"See you."

I walk out as quickly as I can, hoping she won't follow right behind me, I don't want to see her face right now. I take the elevator up to our room. Kevin is laying in bed on his phone, not even acknowledging that I'm here, so I grab the bag with Kevin's food in it and throw it at his face.