20. MARK THE MAN

"Hye Mi! Where are you?" "Babe, I thought we planned for a date." "Are you ok? Are you in trouble?" "Please call back as soon as possible, Hye Mi." "I'm freaking out because I don't know who where you are. Please respond."

     I opened and listened to all of Jaebum's voicemails as I sat down on the slide at the children's park. I looked around me, to see that it was already dark and most of the people that were here before were gone.

     I saw a couple walking together, sitting down on the bench in front of me. What am I doing here? It's 10pm and I'm just sitting alone, drowning in my tears.

     My phone rang again but this time it was Yugyeom. "Annyeong?" I asked, picking the phone up and wiping my nose. "Noona! Are you okay? Where are you?" He yelled worriedly into the phone.

     "I'm sorry if I worried you. I'm just at the park right now." I then heard yelling in the background from Yugyeom's phone.

     I listened closer and eventually heard a really familiar voice, Jaebum. "Yugyeom!" I yelled through the phone. "Ne?" "Why did you call me?" I asked annoyed.

     "What do you mean why did I call you? You disappeared for about 5 hours without answering calls or text massages from any of us. Please come back to the hotel, Noona." He pleaded.

     I took a second to think, then I answered, "Fine. I'll be back in about an hour because I'm walking. Araso?" "Andwae! Mark will come and pick you up. He can drive and has an American license."

     "Are you sure?" I asked. "Let me have the phone." I heard Mark say. "Yah! Hye Mi, I'm coming to pick you up right now. Where are you?"

     "I'm at Bull Park." I told him. "Araso, Jaebum is coming too." He said, about to hang up. "Andwae! Mark please come alone." I yelled.

     "Why?" He whispered into the phone. "Please." I pleaded. "Araso. I'll be there in maybe 20 minutes." He agreed. "Gomawo." I finally said, ending the call.

     Aigoooo. I'm too nervous to see Jaebum. How will I be able to sleep in the same room as him?

(Later)

     I heard a loud honk to the left of me. Two white lights were shining right at my face and I winced. "Aigooo the headlights are too bright."

     I covered my eyes, slowly making my way to the vehicle. Mark opened the door for me and ran back to the other side of the car, hopping in.

     "Hi." I said to him in English. "Tell me what happened." He replied, driving onto the road. "What do you mean?" I asked, trying to act as if nothing was wrong.

     "Nobody runs away for 5 hours then sits alone at a park when they are not mad or sad." He laughs. "If I tell you, you can never, ever tell anybody else. Araso?" I asked him putting up my pinky.

     "Araso. I can't do the pinky swear with you because I am driving, stupid." He scoffed. I then began to tell him how I spotted Jaebum cheating on me with another girl while he was half naked in a bath towel.

     "Are you sure it was him? Because the Jaebum that I know doesn't cheat." He said, scrunching up his face. "Yea, unless there is another guy that has black hair and a nice body that lives in room 4004, I'm pretty sure that it was Jaebum." I told him.

     "Mmmh." I mumbled as if he was thinking. "Mark, how will I sleep in the same room as him tonight?" I asked him, worried.

     "I don't know. You can't sleep in anyone else's room either because it will look suspicious." He said, gripping the wheel tight.

    I thought about it for a while, then I screamed "I have a plan!" "Mwo?" He asked with big eyes. "So you will carry me up to Jaebum and I's room so I don't have to talk or make eye contact with him until tomorrow or something."

     "What will be the justification for me carrying you?" He asked. "I fell asleep during the ride home and you didn't want to wake me up." I said, satisfied with my plan.

     "Araso. We are here" he said pulling up to the hotel. "Gametime." I whispered as he picked me up, bridal style, from the car and began walking in.

     "Make sure not to open your eyes under any circumstance when you are in that room with him. Just fall asleep, araso?" He whispered in the elevator.

     I nodded in his arms. The elevator dinged  and he walked us to my room. Mark knocked on the door and immediately, Jaebum swung the door open.

     "Yah! Why are you carrying her?" He asked. "Shhhhhh! She's sleeping." Mark whisper yelled. "Come in." Jaebum said, letting us through.

     Mark set me down onto the bed very gently. "You the man, Mark. Thank you." Jaebum said as I heard them pull eachother into a hug. "Take good care of her, hyung." Mark said as the door closed.

     Jaebum's steps came closer to me and my heart began to pound in my chest. I heard him kneel down next to the bed and felt him grab my hand, pulling it close to his heart.

     "What's wrong baby?" He whispered. I tried so hard to not answer and continued to fake sleep. In my mind I was yelling at him for cheating on me with a stranger.

     His hand caressed my hair. "Please, never, ever leave me again." He said, standing up and going to the bathroom.

      Then why did you have to leave me for her? I felt a tear slide down my face and I quickly wiped it away before he saw.

     The bed sunk down a bit as he got on, pulling the covers over the both of his. His lips touched my cheek as he whispered, "Goodnight, my angel."

26 July 17