16. Birthday

Jessie's POV

Months had passed and today was Bentley's fourth birthday. We were going to go out later to some children's play area.

He had to go to school though, we had his favorite breakfast meal, french toast with honey and blueberries.

Right now, I was fixing up the party decorations and silverware. I had to pack them all up to bring them to the place.

The thing is I don't even know where or what the place is. Brody and Harry have been planning all this without me since the beginning of October. I don't know where they are now, but Nicky and Cynthia are here with me.

"Are you excited for today?" Cynthia asked.

"Yeah, but my baby is already four years old.."

"Aw, Jess!" I blushed as she giggled at my longing. "It's so weird, I swear, it was just yesterday Liam and Harry were arguing over being the godfather."

"Yeah, that went to Harry." I chuckled, "Liam couldn't even barely compose himself, he was all over the place that day."

"That was hilarious."

"I feel so left out right now." Nicky grumbled.

"It's okay, we'll be more recent." Cynthia nudged him. "You know, we should go to lunch before we pick up the kids."

"I have to get this stuff to the party."

"Your mum'll handle that."

"Did you already plan this?" I sighed.

"Yep, half an hour! Get up, get dressed! Harry and Brody are already there, I bet." She pulled away a goodie bag from my hand. I sighed with a frown.

I really was trying to be happy on my children's birthdays but I was just so caught up on how much more special it'd be if Zayn were here. Two more years, just two more.

After forced to wash up, Cynthia gave me my white dress to wear. I narrowed my eyes at her.

"I can't wear this.."

"Why not?"

"Because.. I-It's his favorite and.." I sighed, "Cynthia, I'm not in the mood to go out. I just want to celebrate my baby's birthday."

"We haven't all hung out in a while Jess, c'mon please?" My chest ached as she whined, taking the white silk dress in my hands.

"Okay.." She smiled as I pulled on the dress.

"I'm gonna do your hair, okay?"

"Why?"

"For Bentley's party, it's going to be chaotic so you got to keep your hairstyle tight." I squealed as she pushed my shoulders to sit on the bed.

Cynthia did a long, french braid in my hair. She laid it over my shoulder, getting on her knees as she rubbed my arms.

"You are beautiful, Jessica." I just shook my head.

"Let's just get this over with.." I sighed.

I was given a peach cardigan and flats before we headed out. There was no reason to be dressing so nicely when I was going to be dealing with rowdy children the rest of the evening.

When we arrived at the restaurant, I grew slightly annoyed. This is the party place, I was guessing. Then I saw Harry's car, he must've picked up Bentley.

Then I saw a red car, Jacob standing right beside it with a bouqet of pink roses in hand.

"Oh, hi Jacob."

"Hello." He smiled as I walked towards him, "You look beautiful."

"Thanks, I'm celebrating my son's birthday today."

"Ah." He nodded, "Uh, I got you flowers."

"Again, thank you." I smiled, taking them in my hands. "May I ask why you're giving me these?"

"Just to show how amazing you are in a flower bouqet." The thought was flattering, but it was also disturbing. We had only met on two very distant occassions.

"That's very sweet of you." He lit up.

"Uh, m-maybe we can get together sometime with the kids? Like a play date?"

"Oh yeah, that'd be nice."

"Great! My number is on the card! I'll see you later, Jessica!" I narrowed my eyebrows as he hopped into his car. His name was definitely printed on the card attached to the bouqet.

"What was that about?" Cynthia asked.

"I don't even know.."

"Well let's get inside then." She chuckled.

As I walked in, I spotted a whole bunch of presents in the corner. Little kids ran around, all of them chasing Bentley, I smiled.

"Mumma!" My mood enlightened at the sound of Lydia voice, seeing her in Brody's arms.

"Hey princess." I smiled, lifting her into my arms. I made sure not to squeeze her. "How are you?"

"Okay." I nodded, kissing her cheek as she stood on my lap.

"You feeling alright?" She nodded, playing with the braid in my hair. It felt so weird having your child have a somewhat different look than you do. Bentley and Lydia both have black hair, it's like the only trait I passed on was eye color for Bentley.

"Mumma, I like this place!"

"I do, too, pumpkin."

"You look pretty." He giggled, making me smile as he stood on his toes.

"Thank you." I leaned down and pecked his little nose, watching as she rushed back to his friends.

"So how're you?"

"I wish I was to the extent of happiness I know I could be today."

"Ah, just two more, Jess." I sighed, kissing Lydia's head. She whined a little, pushing on my shoulders.

"What, princess?" Lydia slid off my lap and ran over to the presents. "Lyd-"

"She can't open them." Cynthia nudged me.

"We should open presents now." Brody pointed at Bentley staring at two large boxes.

"What are those?"

"Toy car, like the one's big enough for him to drive." Harry chuckled.

"Oh great." I grumbled as he laughed. "Why now? I mean, then he won't touch his cake."

"Ah, who needs cake when you have presents?"

"I spent all night making that cake!" I spat.

"Jessie, we're gonna eat the cake okay? Just come on." I sighed as he tugged me to my feet.

I sat Lydia beside her brother and pulled my video camera from Cynthia's purse.

"I'll do it, just incase Bentley'll need help opening the presents." I nodded, going to sit beside Bentley as he opened his presents.

"Big one first!" He squealed. I got on my knees to help him tear off the wrapping paper, smiling as he jumped around. His joyous laughter lifted my mood a little. "Mumma, it's a car!"

"This is from Uncle Harry."

"Thank you Uncle Harry!" Harry groaned when Bentley ran into his legs, bending over in pain. I couldn't help but laugh.

"There's another big one, Bents!" I giggled, watching him quickly scurry over to it. Lydia slid off the chair carefully, helping Bentley open the bigger box.

What popped out is what changed my whole day.

This chapter is so short and I am SO sorry for that. I've been having lots of homework and recently got back into habits I hoped that I wouldn't resurrect.

I will be updating before Monday, so I won't keep you waiting too long.