42. Starting Anew

Zayn's POV funeral

There was a vigil held for Lydia. The family and our friends got together at her favorite park at night where we all recieved one sky lantern.

Bentley was nuzzled in Jessie's legs as we all held out lanterns. She stared aimlessly at the pond a few yards from the park.

Everyone had tried to speak to her, but she just never budged until she got home.

She rubbed his face unconsciously.

"I guess it's my turn, huh?" Nora sniffled as she walked forward. "Oh.. Lydia was my first granddaughter and the sweetest little girl I had ever met. The most distinctive thing I remember about her is her hazel eyes and how they glimmered when you gave her praise. She was so shy, yet kind to everyone who came in her presence. Which is why I'm so baffled as to how and why someone could do this so such an innocent spirit like her."

Nora sniffled, "We were lucky to have her brought into the world and still lucky to have gotten to know her while she was with us."

Jessica bit her lip, looking up from the pond. Bentley moved from her hands, walking forward.

"Bent-"

"Let him, Jess." I rubbed her arm.

"My sister is my best friend. She plays with me and gives me hugs when I'm mad and sad. So when she's mad and sad, I try and make her happy, too. Mummy said that even though she can't be with us anymore, she is happy but I don't like that. F-Family makes you happy, how can you be happy w-without family?" He fiddled with his fingers, "W-Wouldn't she miss us?"

Jessie tried to hold in her cry but failed, a squeak emitting from her mouth. She clasped her hand over it quickly.

"C'mon, Bents.." I sniffled as he walked into my legs. He hugged them.

"Jess, do you want to say anything?" She shook her head, "One last thing for Lydia.." She let out a shaky breath, looking up at me. "C'mon." Bentley walked over to Nora as we stepped forward.

"It's hard to find words to describe how you feel way you lose a child this way. You-"

"You nurture it from birth in hopes that you'd be such a great parent that you'd never have to see the day where your child dies. But it happens and feel as though you didn't do enough.." Jessie spoke up, "I keep going back to the first time I met Bentley and how in love I was with him when I first caught glance of him. With Lydia, she was my first and only daughter at the time so I held them both ten times closer. I watched them grow and.. achieve precious milestones. I-I wanted to feel more proud of them every single day and I did, now I-I can't with Lydia because.." She couldn't gather her words, covering her mouth.

"Our princess was our everything. We still can't understand.. Who in the world could possibly do this to our little girl? She didn't deserve that. And I curse myself everyday for not being there for her throughout most of her life. I lost so much time with her, and now that makeup time had been cut too short." I sniffled, Jessica rubbing my arm, "My princess.. W-We love her so much and touched so many hearts. She'll always be in ours."

Everyone had spoken their piece, so it was time to try and let go.

Everyone lit theit lanterns, letting them fly. They were all yellow except for Lydia's. We decided to let hers go last.

"Ready?" Jessica nodded, wrapping Lydia's bracelet around it. We lit the lantern, Jessica taking it into her hands as we both walked over to the pond. My hands held over hers as we released the lantern. I held her as we watched it float higher into the sky. Jessie held tight to me, softly crying as the light faded from vision.