35. Going Back to the Odds

Jessie's POV

Zayn and I had been discharged from the hospital, going home with the kids. Everything seemed okay for now so I just stayed home with them.

He played with them outside as I stayed inside, I was in pain. It was normal for my second trimester coming up but I still felt extremely sick.

The phone rang, groaning as I walked over to get it.

"Hello?"

"Is this Zayn's residence?" It was a girl.

"Yeah, he's out. Can you leave a message?"

"Oh yes, tell him Laura is in town and that she can't wait to see him." I narrowed my eyebrows.

"Who exactly are you, Laura?"

"An old friend, he'll remember. Oh, and that I want to meet at the restaurant today!"

"What's 'the restaurant'?"

"He'll know."

"Huh.. Okay." I hung up without bidding her goodbye.

I sat on the couch, just trying to not overthink. She's just his friend, an old friend. Wow, I couldn't really blame him for getting aggravated at me being with guy friends.

A few hours later, Bentley's squealing and stomping awoke me from my nap. I watched as he ran down the hallway and up the stairs. Zayn came into view, holding Lydia over his shoulder. She was fast asleep. He grinned at me before walking up the stairs.

He came back down, laying on the couch beside me.

"Feel better, babe?"

"Yeah, a little bit." I sighed, "Someone left a message for you."

"From who?"

"From... Harry." I groaned, "He wanted to hang out with you tonight."

"Oh, at his?"

"No, at the pub.."

"You'd be okay with the kids?"

"Zayn.."

"Nevermind, I know." I grinned as he pecked my lips. "I'm leaving them with the best mum in the world." He hugged my waist.

"Not even your mum is the best?"

"Up until I was twelve." He sighed.

"Sorry, that was a terrible joke-"

"You're still the best." I pressed my hand onto my stomach. "What is it?"

"Nothing, I'm just rubbing." I shook my head, "What do you want it to be?"

"Maybe another baby girl, I'm in love with Lydia. I could only imagine how much love I'll have for the next baby."

"Yeah, they both look like you." I sniffled, my forehead falling into his chest.

"Jess-"

"It's fine. It's genetics, right? That's how they work.. And even when they have my genes, they die-" I whimpered.

"Stop, don't do this to yourself, Jess."

"I miss her." I cried, Zayn holding me closely.

"I know, babe."

"She was so little a-and frail, and she had the little blonde hair just like mine." I sniffled, "Why did He have to take her away from me?"

"I don't know.." Zayn sighed, "Don't let the past hold you back, there is so much to look forward to."