"New Pair Of Eyes"

Freen can't believe what happens in the dining area. She doesn't expect that her parents would hire a private nurse to help her. It made her realize that she truly isn't normal anymore. Freen understands the situation but it's hard for her to accept that. She wasn't fun of asking for help. She tried to do anything by herself since she was a child but now that she's blind she have to. Freen had been out only for check-ups since the accident. She asks her mother's help for choosing her clothes since she can't see what it looks like. Freen is stubborn but not enough to make her looks become ridiculous like wearing different socks or out with stray hair all over her face.

Freen is resting on her bed when someone knocks on her room. She doesn't want to open it but she is hungry since she hasn't touched her food because she storm out.

"Who is it? I'm coming". Freen walks towards the door but she doesn't open it fully wanting to hear the voice first.

"It's me mija". Mary's voice was too soft that makes Freen want to cry. Freen walks back to her bed sitting on the edge of it. She hears footsteps approaching and sighs to herself.

"Mom I know what you're going to say. You and Pop are only worried leaving me alone here. I get that. I honestly do. I just don't like having a stranger barging in my life". Freen sighs, taking a deep breath. She knows she have to give in. It's only logical having a private nurse since she's alone most of the time.

"You are wrong mija that's not what I'm here for. Well you are right that we're only concern about your safety but we also know that you're going to give-in in the end". Clara grins while explaining. Mother knows best she thought.

"You're so humble mom". Freen giggles.

"I am just here to ask you if you want me to cook fresh pancake because I know you're hungry. I can literally hear your stomach growling". Mary teases as she nudges her daughter's shoulder.

Freen wants to protest but the sounds of her stomach give it away. "Sorry mom, I love you". Freen leans her shoulder searching for her mother and proceeds in hugging her. "Despite the accident I'm still lucky because I have the three of you. I love you so much guys". Freen says teary. She doesn't want her mom to see her cry so she hugs her tighter but she can't keep her sobbing.

Mary hugs Freen with so much love. She can't help but feel proud of Freen because despite of losing her eyesight, she can still see and appreciate the love around her. "I love you Freen. You don't know how proud we are of you. I don't want to tell you that everything is going to be alright but I want you to know that no matter what happens we will always be here for you. You might have lost your eyesight but you gain six pair of eyes. We will give everything for you mija". Mary's emotions are all over and Freen can't help but laugh because her mother is crying so loud you may mistake it as wailing. They both look like crazy fools because they are crying and laughing at the same time.

"Mom stop, please. You don't want our neighbors knocking on our doors, right?" Mary slaps Freen's shoulder but giggles after. Freen heard her mom snorts followed by a blowing sound and then she feels her sleeve wet. "Mom did you just blow on my sleeve, what the..." Freen half-yelled but she cut herself knowing cursing isn't cool with her parents.

"Freen Sarocha Chankimha". Mary glares and slaps Freen's shoulder again. "You better watch your mouth".

There is a silence. Freen thought her mom is mad but then she hears giggles.

"Sorry about that I just get carried away. I don't mean to use your sleeve. Don't tell me it's disgusting because you always do that before while watching The Notebook". Mary said sternly and both of them laugh.

"Sometimes I wonder if we have cases of bipolar in our blood, we cry then laugh". Freen laughs louder than she intended. "Okay mom let's stop this, my stomach is aching and I don't know if it's because of laughter or I am so hungry". Freen whines, calms herself and stand up urging her mom to get up too. "Let's go mom, make for me the most delicious pancake in the whole universe".

"Aww, how sweet of you. You're sweeter than a candy". Mary pinch Freen's cheek and kiss it.

"Mom c'mon I'm twenty-five. I'm not a baby anymore". Freen exclaims swatting her mother's hand.

"You'll always be a baby to us. You and your brother Heng. Let's go now before your breakfast becomes brunch". Mary leads Freen to the dining room where her father is waiting.

Mike clears his throat to make his presence known. "Mija are you feeling well now?".

"I am now Pop, sorry for the little drama, you know me I dreamt of being an actress" Freen laughs to herself but keeps her head low feeling shy because of what had happen.

"Don't think too much of it mija. Being married with your mom open my eyes to every possible drama". Mike laughs loudly but shut his mouth when Mary glares at him. He just coughs to avoid her wife. "Ehem.. Ahmm... Freen mija, about your private nurse, have you think about it?".

Freen sighs as she gropes the nearest chair and sits on it. "Yes pop, I agree. Both of you are right. I won't protest anymore".

"Good". Mike claps his hands that startle both Mary and Freen. "..Because she is on her way".

"Did you know her? Don't you think I have a say on this" Freen is taken aback, surprise that it turns out quickly.

"Don't worry mija. She is a good person. We've chosen a girl because for obvious reason". Freen rolls her eye upon hearing it. "We check her background, everything's clean". Mike stands up and approaches Freen to assure her but suddenly they hear the door bell.

Ding...dong...ding...dong...

Freen's nerve spikes up not knowing who would be the stranger behind the door which will be the new pair of eyes for her.