Chapter 12

"Why would your dad do this?" Aubrey asks as I sip from my third cup of coffee due to my lack of sleep

Ever since the texts from last night that the killer sent me and Diego, the fingers are pointing more and more towards my dad who is supposedly still alive. I know it's crazy but right now it's all we got. I haven't slept all night, waiting for my phone to ring at any moment or even the killer to jump in through my window and attack me. I hate the fact that he's getting what he wants. A paranoid me.

"Guys I think we should tell Jake, Brea and Woody." Nolan says. "Don't they deserve to know?"

"No." I shake my head. "Look, their best friends were killed because this sick person wants to hurt me. If they find out they'll hate me and go to the police and I don't wanna find out what will happen if the killer finds out that I got police involved." I say rubbing my eyes trying to wipe away the sleep.

"What if the killer wants you to think it's your dad? I mean, you said it yourself he's not ready to end the game yet. Why would he make it that easy for you to have a lead suspect?" Randy says, making sense.

"I didn't tell you this yesterday but." I sigh taking the picture out from my purse and put it on the table of the diner.

"Is this you?" Diego asks with a smile and I nod. Too tired to speak. "The killer left it in my kitchen drawer. He was in my house."

"What?" All of them say in unison.

"Hannah, why didn't you tell me?" Diego says a little too loudly.

"What difference does it make? Anyways, look at the back." I shrug off Diego's comment.

They turn it around and Aubrey reads the written note. "Remember this? What does that mean? When is this?" She asks.

"It's the day of my fifth birthday. The day before my dad left us." I say looking down.

"Left?" Nolan asks.

"He left us two years before he died. That is if he actually died."

"Why would the killer send you this? Unless..." Aubrey trials off.

"Hannah, whatever happened between him and your mom, do you really think it could be that bad to the point where he'll kill a bunch of people just to get to you?" Nolan says shaking his head.

"Sometimes people just snap because of the simplest of things." Diego states.

"Have you tried looking him up?" Randy asks and I shake my head no.