Chapter 23

It's not easy going to school when everyone watches you like you're a criminal

It's not easy going to school when everyone watches you like you're a criminal. I'm in one of those situations right now, walking to the newsroom minding my own business. But apparently when you're a target of a serial killer, that automatically makes you the most hated person ever.

"Hannah, hey." Randy says following my gaze. He shakes his head at Riverwood High's stare champs and asks me to come in. "Morons." He mutters under his breath after closing the door.

"So what's going on?" I ask, sitting down next to Aubrey as she and Nolan are there too.

"Well, other than the fact that we're being chased down by a crazy person with a butcher knife, principal Hutcherson wants to shut down the newspaper." He says.

"What? Why?" I ask angrily.

"Yeah I heard, Mandy told me." Nolan joins in.

"He said since all the staff already quit and we've been a little behind."

"Are you sure that's all he said Randy?" I ask suspiciously knowing there's something he's not telling me.

"He might've also mentioned something about not wanting the school paper to be run by someone who's a target for a serial killer but he could be talking about anyone." He says sarcastically waving me off and trying to make me feel better.

"Right." I nod with narrowed eyes.

"Hey guys." Diego opens the door and walks in giving me a quick peck. "It's crazy out there everyone's talking about you babe."

"I'm flattered." I say rolling my eyes.

"Not in a good way." He says putting his arm around me.

"So what, we're  just gonna shut it down?" I say. "Without a fight?"

"What, the newspaper?" Diego asks. "Everyone's talking about that too."

"Yeah it's this week's top stories. Hannah Thorne causes Riverwood High Weekly to shut down. You could write about that for your last article ever. Imagine the irony." Aubrey says.

"Yeah thanks Aubrey. Real supportive." I say sarcastically.

"Mandy was pretty bummed about it." Nolan says.

"Okay seriously Nolan, are you still hanging out with her?"

"Why not?" He asks confused.

"We don't know anything about her. She just waltzes in here around the same there's a killer on the loose? We can't trust anyone I thought we agreed on this. Everyone's a suspect." I say.

"Mandy's not the bad guy." He argues.

"Randy, can we plesse talk to Hutcherson about this? Together? I mean I know we haven't been very active lately given the circumstances. But working on this is what's keeping me sane right now. I can't lose it."