11. The Ball

Ruby

Usually I weren't self-conscious. I weren't that type of girl spending hours in the past trying to find the 'Perfect' clothes that fitted good but now I wished I had hours to spend on finding at least decent looking clothes.

I felt awful in my red glittery dress. It was comfortable but I didn't feel like I looked good at all. Maybe I should stay up here and just skip this idea if trying to embarrass Jasper? It would only backfire at me as I locked absolutely stupid.

Taking a deep staggering breath I looked nervously at myself in the mirror. My hair was down and well combed, I didn't want to dress up to much. Just try something different.

Looking through my closet I discovered I didn't have to much dresses, only a few, four at most an all were red and not really sophisticated as I preferred simple and comfortable clothes rather than expensive, extremely decorated and inflexible.

Well, no turning back now. You had already told your father you would come and you had promised him a dance. You had promised to dance with Jasper to if you for some reason did happen to attend the ball.

I had already dressed up and were ready to go, it was no way I would back down and take of this ridiculous clothes now.

Taking in last nervous breath I turned on my red high heels and left the room before I could change my mind.

I walked down the corridor on my way to the stairs leading down to the floor where the ball would be held, in the big hall.

When I passed some guards standing posted at the walls they stared mouth open and wide eyed at me.

They have never seen my in a dress looking so lady-like so I think they are pretty shocked, me too actually.

"Captain?" one of them said and I stopped in my tracks and turned to him. He gapes like a fish at me before he quickly collects himself and blinks rapidly.

"Wow, you look..." he began not really knowing what he wanted to say.

"Like a girl, I know. It feels so wierd" I told him sincerely and he smiled.

"It fits you, you look really pretty. Not that you usually looks ugly what u meant.." he began rambling and I laughed.

"Thank you, and I get what you mean. Well, I need to go now otherwise I will be late" I said and turned on by heels, continuing down the hall.

"Damn, she's smoking hot" I hear one of the guards say behind me and I bite my lip as I try to stop the smile.

My heels clicks against the floor and I feel my heartbeat increase as I get closer to the big hall, the music can be heard from the room at this distance and I become more nervous now that I have ever been before.

Wonder what Jasper will think when he sees me?

Jasper

Absolutely beautiful.

That's the first thought to cross my mind as I see Ruby entering the room that over a day has completely changed to fit tonights ball.

My eyes had been glued to the open doors, waiting nervously to see if she would come or not as her vague answer the day before didn't really was an answer and only left me sleepless.

The party is decorated in silver, gold and red. The kingdoms official colours and the theme is as expected wolves, the kingdoms symbol.

The Royal Family stands in a corner, heavily guarded by Royal Guards and ordinary guards watching from distance.

My gaze drags it's way towards Ruby again and I see her walking into the ball with confident steps but an emotion flittering in her eyes tells me she's nervous.

Why is the constantly confident and stone-hard captain of the royal guard nervous? Is she worried something might happen tonight?

I wouldn't blame her it would be a perfect opportunity to try to cause havoc tonight for whoever who would want. Despite the heavy security someone might have slipped, it would be hard to control on a night like this.

Excusing myself I left my dad to talk to the crowd that had gathered around me as I apparently was a celebrity now that I had joined the competition.

They wanted to know if they could make money on me and as I didn't listen to their conversation with my father I didn't knew what they thought about me. They were still talking to my father so I assume it is going well, I don't really care.

My dad had made me dance with a few girls already and I have started conversations with plenty of people that my father later skillfully took over and turned to his profit.

The one on my mind this ball though had just arrived and was right now standing alone between the crowd and was sipping on a newly achieved glass of liquor.

She spotted me as I made my way towards her and she smiled slightly though she seemed uncertain of what to do.

Before I reached her a young man, supposedly a competitor bend over her and whispered something in hear ear, offering his arm.

My blood began boiling as I clenched my fists that I so badly wanted to shove into his face right now. He was taking her first dance tonight!

I tried to shake the thoughts of me as I reminded myself that this is a ball and she isn't mine so he has every right to ask her for a dance.

She glanced to be with an apologetic look before she looked back to him and nodded. She placed her hand in his and let him lead her to the dance floor were he pulled her close and they began to move to the music.

I didn't let my eyes stray from the dancing pair as I fought with myself, keeping from walking out their and showing my fist down his throat.

A girl came over to me and began talking, I didn't listen to her words. I only nodded sometimes, it was obvious she wanted me to ask her for a dance bit I didn't want to do that.

I only wanted to dance with her, Ruby. A pat on my back made me turn and I looked into the eyes off my fuming father.

He grabbed my collar and pulled me to him "Didn't I say you would ask any girl that talked to you to dance? Now be a good boy and ask this obviously interested girl to dance with you" my dad snarled at me and pushed me back again before he smiled kindly to the girl beside me and left.

I turns to her with a forced smile, her blue eyes stared up ate me as she waited for my next move. "Do you want to dance?" I asked her and offered my arm.

She nodded eagerly, maybe too eagerly and took my arm in a grin grip and I led her out to the crowd of dancing pairs.

It felt wrong to dance with her, she felt wrong in my arms and I knew who would feel right. I knew exactly who would fit perfectly in my arms and I longed after her to take that place.