Chapter 40

"This is abduction Adriane!"

"Raally now, how come? Sumama ka kaya sakin"

"I don't even know where you're taking me"

"Relax! Ganitong ganito ka nung una kitang dinala dito"

"What are you talking about? Where are we... Heading?"

She stopped her rants when she noticed how familiar the place is.

"We are here"

"Yeah. Wait, this is the place where we"

"First kissed? Yes!"

"Che! First talked seriously ikawharotagadnasaisip mo!"

"Ha Ha, because that's the only thing nanaiwansa memory ko that night"

Jamie noticed the wrecked boat they sat on the first night they spent together.

She went closer and realized it's been fixed. Amazed.

"Wow.... What happened?"

"Well, inayos namin ni Mang Tami"

"He owned this?"

"Well, no. Sa best friend niya. This was the boat he and his best friend used ten years ago"

"What happened?"

She asked while her hands travel the wooden edges and slowly walks around it.

"There's a storm when they sailed one day. Nahulogsi Mang Tami then his friend saved him. Nung naiakyat na siya ulit dito, biglang yung kaibigan niya naman ang nawala. Hindi niya nadaw namalayan, isang araw nagising na siya nasa isang kabilang isla na siya, with this boat."

"That must've hurt so bad for Mang Tami"

"It was, I guess until now he's still mourning"

"For ten years. I guess there's no expiration date when you mourn for a love one"

"Indeed. And realizing you can't do anything about it doubled the misery"

Jamie breathed in and out.

"Bakit hindi niya na inayos?"

"Remember I told you, maybe things are left to be broken cause maybe it's meant to be that way. People hide things from the loss love ones to have something to remember them by. It's weird that Mang Tami chooses this way."

"But that's depressive. Leaving it broken like that makes you remember all the unfortunate things. How come Mang Tami talks about faith when he doesn't want to fix this before?"

"Jamie, we all needed time to heal. When he spoke about having faith means he also need time to heal, and he knows he will heal, by that faith"

"Paano mo naman nalaman?'

"A piece of trash like this? Over ten years? Seriously, pwedeniya tong itapon o gawing pang-gatong. Or pwedengayusinulit at ibentadiba? But he didn't."

"By remembering all the hurt Adriane? Mas pinili niyang masaktan?"

"Maybe he wants to share the pain his friend might've caused him. Maybe he wanted to let it all go, he was just waiting for the right time and reasons to do so"

"Yeah? I wonder what"

Adriane smiled.

"Maybe aside from finally letting go he said to me earlier, he believed that this boat will serve few others more. It will sail again. For the right reasons"

"Hm. Still confused, but I'll get there, maiintindihan ko din siya... Peroteka, did you say sail?"

"Yeah! Hop in?"

Adriane begins to push the boat into the shore.

"Adriane! Seryoso?"

"Oo, come! Sakayna bago pa mag sunset"

"No!"

"Why not? Jamie let's go, bababanaangaraw oh"

"No! Seryoso ka? Papasakayin mo ako sa bangakang ikinadisgrasya at ikinamatay ng best friend ni Mang Tami? No way Adriane!"

Crosses her arms, raised her eyebrows while stomping her feet.

"Jamie! Blame the storm, not the boat!"

Adriane smiled at her that calms her weary heart. Breathed in and out.

"Ugh! The impulsive things I do for and with you Adriane!"

"Ha Ha Ha. Don't worry, It's a tie"

The two sailed half way to the calm ocean. As Mang Tami watches them from afar.

"Bert, may silbi na ulit ang banka mo. Salamat"

Teary eyed Mang Tami, pat down his fisher man's hat and smiled and went his way home to his wife.