~ Prologue ~

"I hate you, Kiefer!"

He shushed her, and pushed her back in his closet. Then that authoritative knock on the door - light and with a certain staccato. He sighed, and hurriedly put on his pants-

"So do you plan to keep your Grandpa waiting outside your door?"

Kiefer hurriedly pasted a smile on his face, "Grandpa! I missed you!" He went over to give him a hug and reached for his hand for his blessing, and acknowledged the two assistants outside the door.

His grandfather stepped in, sniffed, and looked around his room. Times have changed. When it was all about cartoon characters, animes, and basketball heroes, his room is now bare, functional, and minimalist. A subdued room with a solo painting of him on one wall, some of his medals and trophies on one side.

A gentleman's room.

His grandfather sniffed again.

Ironically, a gentleman's room that smells of sex.

His grandfather turned to look at him, "Have you been up all night fornicating?"

"Grandpa!?! What are you talking about?" Kiefer was quick to change the subject, "And ang aga-aga niyo pa po. Why so early?"

His grandfather looked at him, that look that burrows deep into his being. Like when he was a little boy. Just like the way his grandpa would extract an explanation from him.

His grandfather let out a frustrated sigh, "Nine in the morning is barely early. In my days, early is when you get to wake the rooster up."

Kiefer scratched his nape. Here we go again...

"I'm sorry, grandpa. I... I was up late last night, enjoying some quality time with friends. You know, celebrating some milestones...," he sheepishly responded.

Then a panty on the floor.

Of which his grandfather is now stoically staring at.

He crossed his fingers that his grandfather would not figure that one out.

His grandfather just stared at him. Dead meat.

"I honestly wish you'd just marry. Rather than go around and string more girls-"

"Grandpa, hold on. Teka lang po. Even if you ask Mama and Papa," he explained, "They will not agree that I'm ready to get married." Then he cheekily grinned at him, "I'm only 26, and I still have-"

His grandfather glared at him. Too bad his attempt to being cute is not working anymore.

"Let her out of the closet," his grandfather commanded.

"What?" Kiefer asked stupidly.

His grandfather sighed, and tapped his cane. "Can't fool me, hijo. Let her out, or wherever she is hiding."

Kiefer scratched the back of his head, and cleared his throat, "Look, Grandpa..."

"OUT!" his grandfather yelled.

And she stepped out.

His grandfather looked at her, then back at him. "So, who is she?" he demanded on his soft low voice. The one that used to make Kiefer tremble.

He sighed, "Grandpa, ang tanda-tanda ko na-"

"Which is which, Kiefer? You are too young to get married, yet too old to fool around?" his grandfather raised his eyebrow. Kiefer dropped his head. "And you, young lady. What are you doing in his closet?" he directed his attention to her.

"I... I'm... ano po...," she stammered, and Kiefer slapped his palm on his head, "Leave her out of this, Grandpa."

He raised his brow higher and regarded the girl, "If you just let any boy fuck you then hide you in the closet, I hope you get the meaning that you are not worth his time."

She gulped, and turned to Kiefer, not sure how to react,"Uh, yeah. Sure po."

His grandfather gave her dagger looks, "So, you're contented to warm his bed?"

"No, I'm his-"

"You see, Grandpa, this isn't the time-"

"Let her talk."

They looked at each other, with worry etched on Kiefer's forehead. She gulped, and said, "I'm... I'm his girlfriend."

His grandfather looked at Kiefer, and Kiefer wished this drama would end soon. "Grandpa, you are a busy man, aren't you? Maybe you should-"

"No. You should get married. You have a girlfriend that you didn't bother to introduce to the family-"

"Because she's not my girlfriend," Kiefer let out a sigh.

"Bastard!" she looked at him. He just shrugged.

"And since when did you become - uhm, an item?" his grandfather interrogated.

"Uh... since... uh, last...," she stammered.

That's it.

"Grandpa, we'll talk about this. May lakad pa si Sienna-"

"Cielo, you fucking bastard! Cielo, and Sienna is my sister!" she screamed at Kiefer, and hurriedly picked her remaining clothes on the floor. She hurriedly left him in a puff and slammed the door shut.

"Good Lord, Grandpa-"

"I am expecting the wedding in a month's time," his grandfather declared, and turned around.

"Grandpa! You got to be kidding?!?" Kiefer stopped him, annoyance on his face, "I'm no longer a little kid! I can think for myself!"

"Well, Hijo," his grandfather turned to face him, "It seems your dick is doing most of the thinking." He turned and started towards the door, "I'm not happy with what you are doing with your life, Kiefer. You need to learn responsibility-"

"And what kind of a life am I going to give my family?" Kiefer asked, frustration in his voice, "I'm not ready to settle down!"

His grandfather stopped, and slowly turned around, his face turning red, "I am not getting any younger, Kiefer. And I don't want to see you drift into nothingness. I want grandchildren. I want them from you."

"I can give you grandchildren-"

"Listen to what you are saying!" his grandfather yelled, and moved towards him, "All your life, all I have ever prayed is that you grow up to be a nice little boy your parents would be proud of! That you be happy, have a family, have kids-"

"I'll get to that, Grandpa!" he yelled back, "I'll get to that!"

His grandfather shut his mouth, and stared at him, "Oh, you better do in a month. I don't want to die without seeing my grandchildren from you."

"What is it in having grandchildren-"

"One month, Hijo," his grandfather moved towards the door. He stepped out, together with his assistants, and said, "One month, or you'll never hear back from me. Intiendes?"

And his grandfather left him, banging his head on the door.

****************************