Chapter 18

"So... ano sa tingin mo?" Alyssa adjusted the strap on her top, peering at the mirror, waiting for Ella's feedback.

Ella just stared at her image, munching on chips after chips after chips. "Besh, parang hindi siya bagay," she finally stood up, and stood beside her, looking at the mirror. "Actually, parang di maganda ang kulay sa 'yo," she commented, still munching.

"Argh!" Alyssa cried out in frustration. She's at Ella's place, and they are both going over Ella's wardrobe, to see if she could borrow something. Ella moved to the other side, her eyes on the mirror, "Mas maganda ata pag nag-bikini top ka, then tapis sa baba. Di ba, swimming party din yun?"

Alyssa sat on the edge of Ella's bed, "Napapagod na ako, Bes..." She looked at the scattered clothes on Ella's bed, and started folding them back.

Ella's face lit up, "Besh, shopping kaya tayo?" Alyssa rolled her eyes, "Besh, sayang. Kelangan ko pa magpadala ng allowance ni Kian." She has enough savings now, considering that she never gets to touch her salary as all her needs are provided by the Ravenas. And she has not even accounted the monetary gift the Ravenas have offered her. She literally did not even take a look at it. She does not even want to take a look at it.

"Pero, Besh, maraming high profile ang siguradong pupunta. Kelangan at least, presentable ka naman bilang asawa ni Kiefer...," she munched on. Alyssa sighed, "So kelangan talaga gumastos... Kaso sayang talaga ang pera, Besh!" She threw her hands up in the air, "Pangkain pa yun ni Kian ng 2 o 3 araw!"

"Besh," Ella reminded her, "Palagi naman tayong nagbi-beach. Magagamit mo rin 'yan."

She looked at her watch. It's only 4PM, and the luau party is two days away. She sighed, and dropped on Ella's bed. She just couldn't stomach buying another set of bikinis...

She jumped when she felt her phone vibrate. "Hello, Manang Isang?" she answered the phone, surprised. And a bit apprehensive. She stood up.

"Hello? Hello? Si Ineng ba 'to?" Isang said, in an almost hushed voice. Alyssa gripped her phone harder, "Manang, si Ineng po ito..."

"Neng, andito si Yuan... At narinig ko na may kausap siya sa selpon, at narinig ko pangalan ni Sarah..."

"Manang, andiyan pa ba sila?" Alyssa hurriedly reached for her bag and prepared to leave."

"Oo, at mukhang magba-basketball..."

"Papunta na po ako diyan, Manang," she said, looking at Ella.

"Sige, ingat ka."

"Besh, ano 'yun?" Ella asked, sensing the seriousness of the situation. Alyssa offered her cheek for a kiss, "Besh, alis na ako. Habulin ko si Yuan."

"Huuuy... Besh...," Ella ran after Alyssa. Alyssa turned around and replied, "Tawagan kita mamaya! Promise!"

No time for a Grab or Uber, she hailed a tricycle that passed by the street.

She needs to get hold of Yuan...

She commuted all the way back to the village where she lived with Sarah. She felt like it was the slowest 30 minutes of her time. As soon as she saw the street going to the village, she hurriedly alighted from the jeepney and went straigh to Manang Isang.

"Alyssa! Nasa basketball court sila!"

Half-running, she gave an air kiss to Manang Isang as she moved towards the direction of the basketball court. She could feel the fear and anticipation eating her guts... But she has to know where Sarah is. She wants to know if Sarah is okay.

She could see the players huddling on the side of the court, laughing and jesting, and some gulping in their bottles of water. Alyssa slowed down to a walk, and tried to look for Yuan. She craned her neck, yet couldn't find him. She could feel her heartbeat now...