Chapter 14

It's a battle for third place tonight.

Alyssa squinted her eyes, trying to block the harsh light, panning the ground, watching her opponents' movements. She waited for the signal for service, and when she heard it, she let go of the ball, hitting it hard to zone 1, the ball almost going out of the line. Fortunately, it dropped the last second, and SHE GOT AN ACE!

Alyssa and Ara jumped with glee, but they still have to finish the last set, in their favor. Alyssa stretched her hand, then released the ball to meet it up in the air for a good jump serve...

And another ace!

But this time, she felt a sting on her shoulder, as if her arm is electrocuted. She tried to shake it off, biting her lower lip to stop the scream from escaping her lips.

She tried hard to block the pain from her mind... they are at matchpoint, and they need this last point.

Steady hands, she released the ball...

The opponent was able to receive the ball, then tossed up for a spike. She was ready at the back for a dig, with Ara in the front for a quick dump. But the opponent was able to dig it up and return the ball with a cross court but Alyssa was there for a dig. Ara immediately tossed it up back to Alyssa, and with one determined spike, sent it across the net with a loud smack, their opponents scrambling on the sand to receive it.

Without success.

Alyssa threw her hands up in the air, but she knew something was wrong. But it was such a beautiful hard-earned victory for them, even for third place, that she just dismissed the gnawing pain on her right shoulder.

They were awarded their trophy and medals, and were in high spirits. Their team manager and the coaching staff were there to celebrate with them. They cheered while waiting for the awarding to start.

Kiefer shook his head. He felt that Alyssa's right shoulder must be a nightmare after that awkward way she dropped her arm after the service. He never let his eyes off of her. He could sense the pain she is feeling, with the way she seems to favor her arm.

But she seems to make it look okay with the way she hits the ball for a spike, as if the pain doesn't exist. Kiefer just clenched his jaw.

For the life of him, he could not understand why he feels this way... why he has suddenly felt a soft spot for her. Sure, she has sacrificed a lot for him and his family. Sure, she has that smile that could make him smile back for no reasons. And sure, she makes life easier in their self-exile... more fun and less challenging.

Maybe that's it. He is concerned for her. After all, they are friends, right?

He could see her covertly massaging her right shoulder, and he wants to drag her and make her sit down to ice it. No one seems to have noticed. Not even her coach. They are all just busy chatting happily.

He could not take it anymore.

He looked for the PT in their tent, approached her and said, "Hi po. Uhm, I think yung isang alaga niyo needs to ice her shoulder."

The PT seems to be surprised with his sudden appearance. "I'm sorry, but who are you?" she asked, squinting at his face. He sighed, "Look, can you just give me an ice pack?"

"Teka, sino ba?" the PT shook her head, "Sorry naman... nagulat lang ako sa 'yo."

"Alyssa Ravena," he stopped, "Er, Valdez. Yung no. 2." He was quick to correct himself before he could kick himself for saying it. And what the hell was that?

"Uh, sure," the PT eyed him curiously. "Ikaw ba ang manliligaw ni Ly?" she gave him fleeting glances while preparing the ice pack. Kiefer just kept his silence. The ice bag is now ready, and she turned around to face him, "Okay, I'll check on Ly."