Chapter 3

"Tell me again why we are getting her as your maid of honor?" Kiefer impatiently asked, as they were waiting for Alyssa to come out of the gym.  They have been waiting for her for 15 minutes, and so far, they could not see a shadow of her, nor of her teammates.

Weekend practices are in the morning, and they are going to be late for their appointment if Alyssa does not appear in the next half hour.  Sarah rolled her eyes, impatience in her voice, too, "Let's consider Dani, then."

And just like that, Alyssa appeared from the exit, hair wet, running towards them in her black training shorts and plain white t-shirt.  Kiefer sighed.  She is wearing flip flops, for chrissakes. "Does she have anything else to wear other than those?" Kiefer complained. 

Alyssa has just opened the car door, and hesitated as she heard what he said, "Ako ba?"  She got in the back seat and said, "Sorry… sorry… may sermon pa si Coach."

Kiefer just looked at her from the rear view mirror, while Sarah just shrugged, "Alyssa, pupunta tayo sa Rockwell." She turned to scrutinize Alyssa from head to toe, "Sa Vera Wang Boutique.  And you are wearing what?"

"What’s wrong sa suot ko?" Alyssa asked, looking down on her shirt.  "Malinis naman," she murmured.

"Gahd," Sarah let out her frustration, "Para ano pa at stylist ang pinsan mo? Ay oo nga pala! Kase tinatamad kang maghanap ng isusuot mo."

"Sa, naman," Alyssa sat forward, leaning in between Sarah's and Kiefer's backrest, "Hindi keri ang fashion mo sa mundo ko."

Sarah just rolled her eyes, "Ang sinasabi ko lang, 'wag araw-arawin ang yagit look.  Sumasahod ka naman."

"E alam mo naman kung saan napupunta sahod ko, di ba?" Alyssa sat back and leaned on her backrest, then looked outside the window, "Kelangan talaga magtipid-tipid, lalo na't papasok ng college si Kian."

Sarah knew Alyssa has been supporting her family in the province, even if she is not required to do so.  Her Tito Ruel would often insist that Alyssa just save the money, but Alyssa is adamant.  She thinks it is but time for her to give back to her family, especially that there isn't enough with Kian still in school while Kuya Nicko and Paolo have started families of their own.

Sarah turned around, and addressed her, "Ang ibig kong sabihin, pwede ka naman manghiram sa mga damit ko."

Alyssa scoffed, "Sa, naman. Baka ubuhin at sipunin ako sa mga damit mo. Bawal magkasakit at ma-miss ang practices."

Kiefer raised his brows, and Sarah just grinned.  Sarah always dresses fashionably.  A trendsetter, yet
not quite risqué.  She likes mixing the classic cut with avant-garde.  Like she is now wearing a plain cream colored baby doll dress with a very low back neckline, and hot pink ballerina shoes.

His eyes now trained to look at Alyssa, "So ikaw, hindi ka ba kinakabag sa iksi ng shorts mo?"

Sarah chuckled, while Alyssa could not help her mouth from gaping wide, "Hala ka… hindi ko kayang mag-volleyball na naka-palda or pantalon! Naman…"  Sarah touched Kiefer's hand on the steering wheel, to catch his attention, "Kung nakita mo pa 'yan mag-beach volleyball…"

"Kaya pala ganyan ang kulay niya," Kiefer responded, to which Alyssa's mouth gaped even wider.  "Ay… grabe.  Grabe kayo…," she protested, her hands up in the air.

Kiefer and Sarah were in high spirits when they arrived at the boutique, while Alyssa is cringing in embarrassment.  They entered the semi-dark boutique and were seated on the couch before they were met with the stylists.  Kiefer leaned forward and turned to Alyssa, "Ly, may flashlight naman phone mo ano?"

Confused, Alyssa scrunched her brows, "Bakit?"

Kiefer snickered, "Baka hindi ka nila makita e."

Alyssa took the throw pillow from her back and slapped it way over to Kiefer, with Sarah seated in between them, before putting in on her lap, "Sa, bakit naman siya pinili mo na pakakasalan?"

Sarah just shushed them, "Tumigil na nga kayo.  Nagsama pa talaga kayo…"  She smoothed her dress, while Alyssa sat further in her seat, petulant like a child.  Right on cue, the stylist came with her team.

"Sarah, dear," Michelle, the stylist greeted Sarah, as Sarah offered her cheek for a kiss.  "So, we've picked 5 designs for you to choose from, based from the qualities you have envisioned," Michelle started, showing her the sketches on the tablet, "And you will be fitting them, as Ava will be assisting you."

Ava, the assistant, stepped forward and showed her the way with a smile.  Kiefer looked around, surprised at the dark and minimal look of the boutique.  Looks honestly like a very classy and clean warehouse.  Alyssa reached for a hard bound book on the coffee table, and started skimming the pages, when Michelle turned to look at Alyssa and asked, "And I assume you're the maid of honor?"

"Uh, yes," Alyssa answered hesitantly.  Somehow, she still can't believe what her cousin is getting into.  She put down the book, and stood to shake Michelle's hand.  "Well, you're quite tall, perfect… Filipinang-Filipina ang complexion," Michelle scrutinized her from top to toe, and smiled, "We'll work something out with the color of your gown."  Michelle turned around to a gentleman on her side, "The swatch please. Plum."

Alyssa was bewildered with the complexity of fitting a gown, and Michelle held her hand, "We'll see which would perfectly look good on you." The gentleman then handed her swatches, and she flipped through the section that is dark violet in color.  She ran her fingertip, then smiled when she saw something she liked, "How about these hues?"

Alyssa looked at the color, for it seems to be just one color to her and she smiled, bemused, "Good luck na lang po.  Bahala na si Batman."

Michelle smiled, "You'll be wonderful.  We have prepared the cut, and it's good that you are lean and tall.  Makes it easier for us to dress you."

Michelle looked at the gentleman, and nodded at Alyssa, to which Kiefer raised an eyebrow, "He'll dress her?"  Michelle chuckled, "No, Chance will just show her where she can try on the dresses.  Someone will be there to greet her."

"But what about Sarah?" Kiefer looked confused.  "Oh, it will take some time for Sarah to make her choice.  And it takes a bit of some time for her to try on the wedding dress as it is more… layered than that of any others."  Michelle nodded and stepped back, "I'll just check on Sarah and for the meantime, you can enjoy some petite hors d'oeuvres."

Alyssa looked at the 5 dresses on the rack and she went on from one dress to another.  One is very sheer, and she felt like it's too daring, with her skin showing off on places she'd normally cover.  The other one is a bit too frilly and girly for her taste.  The third one is a grecian cut, with the strap on one shoulder, and she likes it.  She slipped on it, and found it nice. The only problem is the color - too dull on her skin tone.  The fourth dress is an empire cut, simple yet elegant. The only problem is that she doesn’t like anything baring even just a portion of her chest.

And it seems the last one is just -

She ran her hand on the glittering material, but was shocked that it was backless.  The lady assisting her smile, "It looks beautiful on you.  The color." She pointed out, "It makes your skin glow."

"Ate naman, katakot 'yun," Alyssa jested, "di naman parang Christmas tree siguro, ano?"

The lady smiled, and said, "No, you've got healthy skin.  Di man maputi, but it has a beautiful glow."  She reached for the dress and waited for Alyssa outside the dressing screen.

It felt right on her.  The dress just simply hugged her body without emphasizing her bony and muscled structure.  And the lady was right.  The color simply emphasized the golden tone on her color.  She stepped out, and the lady assisting her was speechless.

Alyssa became self-conscious, "O-okay lang po ba? Parang masyadong daring ang likod."

"Turn around," the lady asked in a hushed tone.  Alyssa slowly turned around.  "Magnificent," the lady smiled, "as if it was meant for you."

"Ate, malayo pa po sahod. Pero turon, gusto niyo? Ibili ko po kayo," Alyssa jested, and the lady just smiled.  "Turon would be nice," she said. And Alyssa turned to change back into her street clothes.

"Si Sarah po?" Alyssa asked, and the lady answered, "You may join her in the adjoining room."  As soon as she stepped out of the dressing screen, the lady showed her the way, bringing the dress with her.

And Sarah was a sight to behold.

Just as Alyssa's gown is sleeveless and bare, Sarah was covered from neck to her arms, and the gown draping on the floor.  Yes, she was covered, but with barely-there lace, her beautiful creamy skin peeking on the chantilly lace, with a sprinkling of pearls like little drops of dews, accentuated with a heavily beaded belt of pearls.

Alyssa covered her mouth, stopping the tears from falling, "You're so… beautiful!" She raised her eyes to meet Sarah.

And suddenly, the romance of the wedding enveloped her being.

Her cousin, the closest she ever had for a sister, is getting married.

Sarah smiled a sad one, "Guess this will do, then?"

"Perfect for you," Alyssa gushed, and gave Sarah a hug.

Blood is thicker than water.
***************************************

"O, ano sabi ni Tita?" Alyssa asked, bringing the big box of Sarah's bridal gown.

Sarah just shrugged, "Ayun, di nga nakahabol. Last minute kase, di napayagan si Daddy.  Si Mommy na lang sana, pero malas talaga. Pinapa-report siya ng boss niya for duty."  She sighed, and Alyssa wanted to hug her, but can't, because she could barely keep her balance with the humongous box she is carrying.  "Di bale, Sa, andito naman ako. I can even give you away," she tried to comfort her, and Sarah just shrugged again.

Despite the wedding day tomorrow, Sarah is a picture of calm.  Like the one preceding a storm.  Alyssa blames it to her auntie and uncle who couldn't even be there for their only daughter's marriage.  And she couldn't blame them because of the short notice.

They alighted the elevator of the hotel where they are staying, and Alyssa tried to lean on the side, just to take the strain off her back, "Bilib din ako sa 'yo, Sa. Ang tapang mo. Mag-isa kang maglalakad sa altar. Wala sina Tita at Tito."

She could see Sarah's sad smile on the reflection of the elevator, but Sarah was silent.

They stepped out and went straight to Sarah's room.

It was a suite, ready for tomorrow's pictorial, as well as make up and preparation, and enough to accommodate the wedding coordinator and her assistants, the videographer and photographer, some guests.

Alyssa carefully laid the box on the table inside Sarah's bedroom. "Kelangan mo na magpahinga, beauty sleep," she suggested, turned around and noticed the couch. "Pwedeng samahan kita dito, if you like," she offered.  She is quartered on a room two floors below.

Sarah shook her head, "Okay lang ako, Ly.  I… I have accepted my fate."

There was that sadness on her face, which seems out of place.  Alyssa sat beside her and held her hand, "Sa, I know nalulungkot ka kase wala sina Tita ngayon.  I just want you to know, I'll be here for you." She leaned her head on Sarah's shoulder, "Hindi man tayo magbestfriends, pero ikaw na ang tumayong kapatid na babae ko.  And I'm thankful sa support ninyo sa akin. Sa pagkupkop sa akin. Sa pagbigay sa akin ng pag-asa sa buhay."

"Someday, maiintindihan ko rin bakit ganito kabilis, pero ngayon, ipinapasa-Diyos ko na lang na may reason ang lahat ng 'to.  Kung bakit ang mga tao na dapat sa tabi mo, wala. Pero, Sa," Alyssa breathed, "Andito lang ako para sa 'yo.  Katulad nung mga gabi na umiiyak ka. Andito lang ako, makikinig sa 'yo."

A tear fell from Sarah's face, and she smiled a sad one, and turned to face Alyssa, "Ano ba naman, ang drama natin.  I'm getting married tomorrow! Big day!"

Alyssa smiled, but she knows there is something troubling, hiding behind that smile, "Sa, mahal na mahal kita." And she hugged her cousin, saying goodbye to their childhood. Saying goodbye to all that is familiar.

Sarah tried to swallow the tears that is choking her, "I… I love you, Ly.  Salamat."  She cupped Alyssa's face, "Tandaan mo, kung magbabago man bukas ang buhay natin… isipin mo na lang na mahal na mahal din kita."

Alyssa let the tears flow, and kissed her cousin on the cheek.  She stood up, and said, "Beauty rest na, Sa. Basta if you need someone to talk to, alam mo kung saan mo ako hahanapin."
***************************************

Alyssa woke up early, her sleep troubled.  She looked out the big glass window, staring at the dark sky.  Dawn is about to break.  Today's the big day.  She stretched, and let out a big sigh.

When have they started to grow up?

She stood up, changed into her sweat shirt and shorts for a morning jog.  Ritual.  Embracing the day with vigor and life.

She ran around the cobbled pavement, loving how the smell of dawn, and the soft whisper of the trees.  She looked up to the sky.

I have to trust You.

She dropped by a small coffee store, bought a small cup of café americano, and started back to the hotel.  Inside the hotel, she saw a little girl who is stifling a yawn, and she smiled. She wished Sarah considered even just one flower girl, and a ring bearer…

The elevator door opened and she was about to step inside when she almost bumped into Kiefer.

"Hi, Kief-" she greeted, with a big smile on her face.

"Ly, kasama mo ba si Sarah?" he asked unceremoniously. 

"Huh? H-hinde. Bakit?" Alyssa asked, bewildered with his question.

Kiefer let out a curse. "Nawawala siya."
***************************************