Chapter 42

She barely slept, not leaving the car, not wanting to go anywhere else.

But with the morning comes new resolutions, new chances of making it right...

A new life.

She wiped her face with her hands, trying to remove tear stains and hopefully, her naiveté when it comes to love.

Loving can hurt...

She knows love won't be perfect, but right now, she can feel all shades of sadness. Could this still be love?

She slowly stood up, smoothed the wrinkles off her clothes. She has been thinking about it, and thinking hard.

It's time.

Mustering all her resolve, she stood up, and got out of the car.  Kiefer has been calling her, but she willed her heart not to answer the phone. There are things that should be done. Must be done.

She walked that familiar path by the back. Each step making her faint. Each step drawing her closer to deciding her fate.

She knows he would be by the gazebo, doing some stretching, enjoying the morning sun. She made the sign of the cross for strength, that she be doing the right thing.

Slowly, she went up and softly called his attention, "Good morning, Grandpa."

He turned around, surprised for the early morning visit. "Good morning, Hija! What brought you here early this morning?" he asked good-naturedly, and sat down, patting the space beside him, "Where's Kiefer?"

Alyssa does not know how to react, so she simply walked over and sat beside Grandpa. She reached for his hand for his blessing, and never let it go. "Grandpa, I'm sorry...," she blurted out, trying hard not to cry, "I'm so sorry..."

"Oh, my dear," Grandpa exclaimed, rubbing her back, sensing her sadness, "What's wrong? We can always work it out."

Alyssa didn't realize the tears on her face. She sniffed and wiped them away with the palm of her hand. "Grandpa, sa palagay niyo po, mapapatawad ninyo ako kung nagsinungaling ako sa inyo?" she asked, trying to make her tone light.

"Of course, of course," Grandpa hastily agreed, just to soothe her, "Like I said, we can work things out."

Alyssa hiccupped, and gave him a big hug, "Magpapaalam po ako. Pero lagi niyo pong tandaan na mahal na mahal ko po kayo. Salamat sa panahong binigay sa akin na mahalin kayo."

Dumbfounded, Grandpa pushed himself away to look at her, "Wh-what do you mean? Where are you going? Did you and Kiefer had a misunderstanding?"

Alyssa nodded her head, "Yes po, pero I guess it was all for the best."

"Then you talk it out. Compromise. Give and take," Grandpa replied, exasperated, "Marriage isn't all about romance. There would always be problems, but you have to be stronger, together."

Alyssa shook her head, "Yun nga po ang problema, Grandpa... Kinasal kami ni Kiefer, pero hindi ako ang intended na papakasalan niya."

Grandpa shook his head, "What are you talking about?!?"

"Grandpa," she swallowed a cry that escaped her lips, "Nagpanggap lang po ako na bride ni Kiefer nung kasal niya. Pinsan ko po talaga ang ikakasal sa kanya."

And she held his hand, squeezed them, as she narrated what happened on that fateful day. Of how they chose to pretend to be a happy couple for him, of how they chose to be a real couple.

And finally, of how they found the real bride, and Kiefer's baby.

And all the time Alyssa was making a confession, Grandpa was silent, his hands cold, his breathing shallow.