Chapter 41

"Are you sure you'll be okay?" Luigi tapped him on the back, "I have to go."

"I'm leaving, too," he sighed, and gathered his cellphone and car key. Luigi looked at him, worry on his face, "Gustuhin ko man magstay pa, I need to get home kase may lakad pa ako ng 4AM tomorrow."

"I know... I understand," Kiefer shrugged his shoulder. He looked at his friend with that carefree grin on his face, "Lilipas din 'to."

"Yeah," Luigi smiled, and patted him at the back. "You've been to worse, this is nothing but," he said, and gave him their customary brotherly hug.

"See you when you get back," Kiefer said, and went to where he parked his car.

It's late and it was good he bumped into Luigi at a small bar near the village. He got someone who knows his secret, and he was able to unload himself. His original plan was to drink himself silly, but with Luigi, he was able to calm down with only a few bottles of beer.

He started the car, and drove aimlessly. He is not ready to come home. He is not angry. He is just...

He just felt lost. Depleted. Like waking up one day to learn that Santa Claus did not exist.

He sighed, changing gears. He realized that he is near the village where Sarah and Alyssa used to live. Well, Sarah still lives there. With Zitti.

He slapped his steering wheel. He has never been more frustrated and angry at himself for being stupid and careless!

Maybe if Alyssa did not happen, he would have gladly opened his arms to Zitti. But...

All he wanted is a family with Alyssa, and not with any other girl. Alyssa has been nothing but an angel. She does not deserve...

He stopped. But why did she lie about the pregnancy test? What is there in a pregnancy test?

Luigi was right. Maybe, Alyssa has her reasons for not telling him. Maybe she wanted to be sure before she announces that she's delayed or something. Maybe she wanted to surprise him.

A flicker of light caught his attention, and he remembered Manang Isang. He hurriedly stepped on the breaks, and went out.

Manang Isang was surprised to see Kiefer alone, but she just didn't show it. "O, Boy, napadaan ka? Asan si Ineng?" she called out to him. Kiefer just crossed the street, and walked over. "Papahangin lang po," he said, his hands busy choosing which to have Manang Isang grill. He handed them over, and watched as Manang Isang expertly laid them out, while attending to other customers.

He was silent, trying to gather his thoughts when Manang Isang pushed the cooked isaw on his hand. "May problema ba kayo?" she softly asked, and Kiefer sighed.

"Mahal kaya ako ni Alyssa?"

Manang Isang looked at him, and said, "Siguro naman. Bakit ka naman niya sasagutin kung hindi ka niya mahal?"

"Pwede naman po siyang napilitan. Or nasanay na lang, kaya tinuloy niya," he murmured. Manang Isang shook her head. "Alam mo, Hijo, minsan hindi na kelangan sabihin para malaman mo na mahal ka ng isang tao. Yung nandiyan siya para sa 'yo, yung patuloy siyang tumutulong sa 'yo kahit 'di naman niya problema...," she said. "Ganun si Ineng. Hindi man niya sinasabi, pero ipapakita niya sa 'yo, ipaparamdam niya sa 'yo," she said.

Kiefer looked up into the black inky sky, "Paano po... Paano po kung nagsisimula na siyang maglihim? Ano po ibig sabihin nun?"

"Marami. May itinatago siya sa 'yo dahil ayaw niyang masaktan ka, ayaw niyang mamroblema ka, o ayaw niyang ipaalam sa 'yo dahil hindi mo naman kelangan malaman," she answered nonchalantly.