Chapter 22

"Luigi, parang ang OA naman nun... May pa-presscon pa?" Kiefer complained, while working at the gym.  His entry to professional basketball has been finalized, and his team is trying to pump some hype into his re-entry.

"It's not something like a presscon talaga, more of like a luncheon lang. Just a luncheon lang.  Busugin natin ang press, nang ibenta tayo at tumaas ang ticket sales!" Luigi laughed out loud.  Kiefer just shook is head, and dropped the kettle ball.

Kiefer wiped the sweat off his forehead, when Luigi suddenly turned to him, "What would you say about your sexual, I mean, marital status? Shall we declare that you are married?"

Kiefer nodded, remembering Alyssa. It has been a week since the kiss they shared under the stars.  And it has been haunting his dreams.  Like knowing he has all that he needs, but he knows they are on borrowed time. 

But only a select few knows about his marital status.  And he is keeping it as such to spare Alyssa the humiliation as soon-

Fuck.  He knows he can't let her go.

He won't let her go.

"Let's just avoid the topic.  Let's stick with basketball," he said, stretching to cool down.  "Pero paano kung may makalusot na magtanong?" Luigi pressed, and Kiefer tried to control his breathing.  "Let's just divert the issue, or simply say that we are all about basketball," he replied.

"Okay.  Right," Luigi gave him a side glance.  "Then I guess we should not invite her?"

Kiefer shook his head, "Let's just keep it to a professional level, not a family affair."

"Except for your mom and dad, of course," Luigi pointed out.  "Of course," Kiefer seconded.

He looked at the time.  He's picking her up from aqua training, whether she likes it or not.

They tried to put back the camaraderie between them, but even if they try so hard, things are not the same.  He would make the extra effort of getting to know her, getting closer to her, like how he would stay behind her as she washes the dishes after they have eaten their midnight snack.  Or how he'd hold her hand longer...

He smiled at the memory, and this wasn't lost on Luigi. "Alam mo, if I don't know any better, I'd think you're in love," he said, punching him lightly on the arm, "in short, para kang tanga, pangiti-ngiti sa kawalan."

He just smiled at Luigi, "Masarap lang ulam namin mamayang gabi."

"Asus... Siya lang uulamin mo," Luigi teased him, and he just waved him off as he went for a shower.

The memory of Alyssa puts a smile on his face, a little jiggle in his heartbeat...

He was all fresh in record time, and he went straight to the hotel where Alyssa has her aqua training.  They were at the upper deck, and he was early, so he took the time to just watch her, observe her from afar.

She really isn't that beautiful, but she has this essence that makes you want to look at her... And look at her...

And dream about her...

Her lithe toned body is something to die for.  Pure lean muscles, golden under the setting sun.

And her laughter ringing like chimes on a summer's day with the cold afternoon breeze...

Slowly, thoughts of her lying in his bed, writhing in carnal pleasure... White sheets, bronze goddess...

"Kiefer?"

His thoughts were broken, and he turned to see Tin.  "Huy, Labs," he said, opening his arms to her, and Tin gave her cheek to his.  "Anong ginagawa mo dito? May raket?" Tin asked, pulling herself away from his embrace.  Kiefer just shook his head, "Wala.  May in-"

"Balita daw babalik ka na playing ball?" Tin cut him off, and he chuckled.  "Ang hina naman ng radar mo... Ilang buwang in the works din 'yun...," he teased her. Tin just rolled her eyes, "E kase papaano po, may isang batang halos ilang buwan din akong tinataguan, 'yun pala nagpakasal na eme eme." She eyed him and grabbed his chin so she could look straight into his eyes, "Ang totoo: sinadya mo talaga ano, ng hindi kita matalakan ano?"

Kiefer laughed and hugged her, trying to squeeze her.  "Puta, Kief," Tin complained, "Makayakap ka, parang pangtakedown na sa MMA."

Kiefer was trying to catch his breath when he saw Alyssa looking at them from afar.  He tried to straighten up, and Tin saw where he was looking.  "Ah... So your bitch is here," she said, and Kiefer elbowed her. "Stop calling her that. Once makilala mo siya-"

"I'll find out what a gold digger she is," Tin said, pasted a smile, but her eyebrow is a bit raised on one side.  Kiefer sighed, "Tin, you have no idea how much she has sacrificed-"

"E kung yung katapat is milyones ba naman?" Tin exclaimed.  Kiefer could see that Alyssa and her teammates have emerged from the pool and starting to move to the shower room.

Tin's eyes were also following Alyssa, and her smile went bigger, "Give me 5 minutes.  Kaya kong hubarin ang katotohanan from that girl."  Kiefer grabbed Tin's arms, "Tin, please..."

"Trust me on this, Kief," she smiled haughtily at him, "Huhulihin ko 'tong isdang 'to."

Alyssa was wary with the way Kiefer's friend was looking at her, so she tried to avoid them, and didn't bother approaching Kiefer.  She had shower and has just stepped out for dinner with her teammates when out of nowhere, Tin came out and obstructed her path.  "Hi!" Tin said a little enthusiastically, "So we met again.  Alyssa, right?"

Alyssa nodded, afraid of what she is after.  Alyssa couldn't forgive herself for thinking badly about her, but what's a girl supposed to think, with Kiefer around?

"Kiefer is waiting for you, but I know he'll understand if we hang out a little bit?" Tin asked, batting her lashes.  Alyssa could see Ella waiting for her, but she does not know how to discourage Tin, "Uh, may team dinner pa po kase kami-"

"Look, just a drink, yun lang," Tin pleaded, and Alyssa sighed.  "Okay po," she murmured.

"Perfect!" Tin led her to a table, latching her arm over Alyssa's, just as Alyssa hurriedly sent a text message to Ella that she'll just join them a bit later.  She could see Ella at a distance, hands on her hips, looking intently at her direction, and she just shrugged her shoulders, covertly pointing at Tin.

As soon as they were seated, Tin looked for a waiter, and as if on cue, carried over drinks to their table.  Alyssa looked hesitantly at the Mai Tai on the table, and Tin shoved it carefully towards her.  "Parang it's too early to drink," Alyssa said, looking at Tin, and Tin just chuckled.  "Ano ba? Anong oras na kaya?  Kaya let's drink!" she raised her glass, and Alyssa gingerly reached for her glass and took a sip.

Tastes nice actually.

"So," Tin started, "You are my best buddy's so-called wife.  Buti napapayag ka?"

Alyssa put down her drink, and smiled faintly, "Walang choice e.  Either mag-iiskandalo ako at mag-walkout, or gawin na lang ng wala gulo."

"That bastard of your husband never even invited me," she sneered, and took a drink, "He knows na malilintikan siya sa akin if he did." Alyssa just smiled a small one, and took another sip.  Tin raised an eyebrow, provoking her, "I've met Sarah, but I don't think Kiefer was that in love with her." 

Alyssa just dropped her head, and played with her fingernails.  "A-ako rin," she murmured, and smiled sadly at Tin, "Hindi ko rin ini-expect na may ganung minahal si Sarah para magpakasal na siya.  Kaya siya siguro umalis. Nagbagong isip."

"So ano ang ginagawa mo pa? I mean, alam mo naman pala na this marriage is a farce. Bakit kelangan mo pang ipagpatuloy?" Tin was straightforward, trying to push her, but Alyssa just smiled sadly.  "Sana... Sana may easier, gentler way na makalabas sa sitwasyon.  Tipong walang masasaktan.  Kaso mahirap. Lalo na't biglaan. 'Di na ako nakapag-isip," she replied, slowly remembering how it was.  She shivered at the memory, "Ang tanga ko ano? Sabi nga ng mga kaibigan ko, ang tanga ko."

"Alam mo naman pala e, so bakit mo pa rin ipinagpatuloy?" Tin raised an eyebrow condescendingly, "Malaki siguro ang hinahabol mong pera, or gusto mo lang makatikim kay Kiefer?"

Alyssa felt cold all of a sudden, like she was slapped on the face.  Her face now hurts from trying to smile, and trying not to cry. "Oo, malaki ang alok sa akin ng mga Ravena na magpanggap. Pero ang usapan lang namin ni Kiefer ay hanggang bumalik si Sarah," she whispered, dropping her hands on her lap. "Hindi ko alam kung paghahabol yun ng pera, pero aaminin ko, kelangan ko ang perang yun para lang mahanap si Sarah."

"Pero, girl, look at you! Naka-tshirt lang and training shorts.  Kung maraming kang pera ngayon, bakit di ka naman bumili ng maayos ayos na maisusuot?" Tin criticized her, and Alyssa just shrugged.  "Yan din reklamo ni Kiefer sa akin.  Pero mas gusto ko 'to, at mas may paglalaanan ako sa pera," she quipped.

Tin was silent for a second, then continued, "So... Kung hindi pera habol mo, malamang si Kiefer?"  Alyssa just smiled, "Gwapo si Kiefer, may itsura.  May dating.  Sino ba naman ang aayaw sa kanya?" she replied, then looked at Tin straight in the eye, "Pero sana hindi sa ganitong pagkakataon ko nakilala si Kiefer.  Sana sa ibang pagkakataon."

Tin was still sizing her up, when she blurted out, "Nasaktan ka ba sa mga pinagsasabi ko?"

Alyssa was definitely surprised with the question. "O-opo. Nakakasakit, kase 'yan din ang mga tanong ko sa sarili na hirap akong sagutin.  Kung bakit ako nandidito pa rin.  Bakit ako nagtitiis," she replied.

This time, Tin tentatively reached for her arm, "I believe you.  May mga bagay talaga na, aminin man natin, alam na natin ang obvious na sagot, pero patuloy pa rin natin tinatanong.  Kase alam natin sa sarili natin kung ano talaga ang sagot dun."

It was Alyssa's turn to scrutinize Tin, "May... May gusto ka ba kay Kiefer?"

Tin was silent for 10 seconds.  Then she choked on her words, and asked in a small voice, "Seryosong tanong 'yan?"  Alyssa nodded.

And this time, Tin laughed so hard, everybody in the room seems to be looking at them.  Alyssa dropped her head, praying no one has recognized her, while Tin is in tears, holding on to her belly, guffawing. 

"Hin-hindi kita ... kinaya!" she was trying to catch her breath, with mirth in her eyes, "Tanginang tanong 'yan..."

"Pagpasensiyahan mo na... Kalimutan mo na 'yun," Alyssa muttered under her breath, and Tin, this time, reached for Alyssa's arm.  "Wag ka sanang maoffend sa pagtawa ko, pero sa lahat ng lalake sa mundo, amoy na amoy ko si Kiefer, at ang incestuous lang ng suggestion mo," Tin said, and started laughing again.  But this time, her voice a bit toned down.  Tin tried to swallow the mirth in her, and smiled, warmly this time, to Alyssa, "Ly… can I call you, Ly? Ganito kase 'yun.  Yung pogi mong asawa… hanggang friends lang kami nun.  Tanggap ko 'yun.  Gwapo siya, oo.  Pero may mga bagay na hanggang doon na lang, kahit gaano ka gwapo."

Alyssa felt awkward at that moment, not sure exactly why the sudden change in Tin's demeanor, "A-akala ko kase may gusto ka kay Kiefer," apology in her tone, and she smiled sheepishly.  Tin laughed again, "Alam mo, napakainosente mo! Buti hindi ka pa nabahiran ng kabalastugan ni Kiefer?"  She reached for her drink when her eyes went wide.  "Don't tell me… may nangyayari na sa inyo ni Kiefer?""

Alyssa choked at the suggestion, "Huh? Ay! Wala po! Hindi pwede!"

This time, Tin giggled, "Alam mo, minsan nakakapanggigil ang kagwapuhan ni Kiefer.  Pero feeling ko na-immune ka na rin.  At sana ma-immune ka.  Wala kang future dun."

Alyssa looked at Tin, wondering if she is being bitter, or is trying to make her feel better after what she has done to her earlier.  "Mabait naman si Kiefer a?" she said.

Slowly, Tin looked at her, this time, tenderness in her eyes.  "Oo, mabait si Kiefer.  At mukhang napalapit ka na sa kanya, kase nakita mo ang tunay niyang kulay.  Sa totoo lang, maswerte ang babaeng mamahalin ni Kiefer.  Ang problema lang dun, sino ang babaeng mamahalin niya?" she confided.  She reached for Alyssa's hand, and squeezed it, "Sorry, kung may masasakit akong salitang nabitawan sa 'yo.  Akala ko kase, pagsasamantalahan mo lang pamilya nila.  Napaka-judgemental ko.  Sorry talaga."

Alyssa smiled shyly, "Okay lang 'yun.  Ganun din gagawin ko para sa kaibigan ko."

"Talaga? You can be that maldita?" Tin asked, surprised and disbelieving.  Alyssa chuckled, "Oo naman, pero hindi siguro ganun ka…"

"Venomous?" Tin suggested, and they both looked into each other's eyes, and laughed.

"Sorry sa abala, Ly, but I have to get going.  Do you want to eat? Just put it on the tab for me.  Regular naman-"

"It's okay.  May free dinner din kami," Alyssa winked, and Tin laughed.  "Oo nga pala, ni-kidnap lang kita.  Sige," she stood up, and Alyssa followed.  Tin reached out and gave her a hug, "It was nice meeting you.  Sana under a more friendly circumstance, pero all the same, I'm super happy to have met you."

"I'm so happy to call you my friend," Alyssa replied, and Tin tapped her cheek in agreement.  "Nakakatakot ka kaseng maging kaaway e," Alyssa confessed, and Tin laughed heartily at that.
******************************

"I'm so sorry, labs," Tin said, dropping on the chair across him.  "Mukhang matatagalan pa siyang lumabas because-"

"Tin, I swear hindi talaga tayo magpapansinan if you did something to-"

"Chill, Kief! Relak," Tin laughed.  "We just had a little chat-"

"Diyan ako kinakabahan sa little chat mo na 'yan," Kiefer clenched his jaw.

"Hoy, Kiefer Isaac Ravena!  Ininterview ko lang ang asa-asawahan mo!" Tin threw him a balled tissue.  "Kung maka-react ka, kala mo totohanan…," she sneered.

Kiefer just kept mum, and averted his gaze.  "Puta, Kief," Tin's eyes went wide, "'Wag mong sabihin-"

Kiefer looked at her, "Hindi nga pwede, di ba?"

"Pero tinamaan ka?" Tin persisted.  Kiefer turned his gaze somewhere.

"OH. MY. GAHD," Tin leaned back on the chair, "Lintek ka, Ravena.  Hindi kayo bagay!"

Kiefer turned his attention back at Tin, eyebrow raised.  "Napakainosente niya, Kiefer! Utang na loob! Sacrilege 'yun, Beshie," Tin said, reaching for her phone.  "Anyway," she said absentmindedly, "I guess I believe you when you say na wala siyang masamang balak."

Kiefer smiled covertly, and crossed his legs.  "So anong mangyayari 'pag nagkahulihan na?" Tin asked, her eyes on the phone.

"I'm keeping her."

Tin slowly raised her face to him, "Puta ka, Kief.  'Wag mong sirain buhay niya. Ano 'yun? Querida?"

"No, I'll stay married to her," Kiefer said simply, and Tin was about to say something when Kiefer cut her off, "Nagtago naman ang totoong Sarah.  Ayaw sa akin."

"Kief, nag-iisip ka ba?" Tin now has her full attention to him, "Kinasal ka sa papel kay Sarah.  Si Alyssa 'yan!"

"Gagawan ko ng paraan," Kiefer mumbled, and Tin just slapped her palm on her forehead.  "Engots mo, Ravena.  Engots mo talaga. Sarap mong tadyakan!" Tin blurted out, and stood up.  "Sa sobrang katangahan mo, aalis na lang ako, at ayokong mahawaan!" she said, and reached to offer her cheek to his.

But Kiefer grabbed her arm, preventing her from leaving, just yet, "Kung ikaw ba, ano gagawin mo?"

"Bakla ka ng taon! Aayusin ko buhay ko, at tatanungin ko talaga sa sarili ko kung ano gusto ko! Hindi yung puro reaction lang ako sa mga pangyayari sa buhay ko!" Tin shrugged her arm, "Alis na ako. Call me if anything, pero gosh! Magmuni-muni ka kahit malayo pa semana santa…"

And Tin was still talking while walking away from him, while Kiefer was deep in thought…

Come to think of it.  Their wedding anniversary is coming in a few months.