Chapter 27

"So anong balak mo kay Ineng?"

It was late at night, and Alyssa's parents invited Kiefer to sleep over rather than risk going back to Manila late at night. Kiefer accepted the offer, and was happy to sleep in the living room.

The boys were sharing lambanog and beer, and happy cheers, and Kiefer was invited to sit with them. The night has deepened, and almost everyone is knocked down, leaving Itay Ruel and Kiefer.

Kiefer sighed, wanting to confess his feelings, but afraid of what her father would say. "Ah, kase po... Tay," he stammered. Ruel was looking at him intently. He sighed. "Tay, tutuparin ko po ang promise ko na iingatan si Alyssa sa lahat ng mga pangyayari," he said.

Ruel was silently staring at Kiefer, which is unnerving. Kiefer tried to pretend he is not affected, and gulped in a glass of beer. "Tay," he started, "We offered monetary endowment kay Alyssa, sa lahat ng abala sa kanya. Alam ko po walang kapantay ang sakripisyo niya, at di matatapatan to ng kahit na ano o magkano, pero gusto lang namin mapanatag ang loob ninyo na iniingatan at pinapahalagahan namin si Alyssa."

Ruel looked pensive and faraway. "Salamat naman, kung ganun," he muttered eventually, "pero sana tuparin mo pa rin ang pangako mo na iingatan siya."

Kiefer nodded his head, dropping his gaze.

"Nahuhulog na ba loob mo sa kanya?" Ruel asked, his eyes sharp. Kiefer looked at her father straight in the eye, "Hindi po mahirap mahalin si Alyssa."

Ruel was back to being silent, swirling his glass of beer. "Wag mo siyang saktan, Kiefer," he muttered, "Wag na 'wag mo siyang saktan. Malaki ang utang na loob namin sa pamilya ni Sarah. 'Wag mong sirain pamilya namin. Lalong lalo na si Ineng."

"Hindi ko po kayang saktan si Ineng," he murmured, looking at his glass of beer, "Ako na po ang unang masaktan, 'wag lang si Ineng."

"Walang pag-ibig ang nagtatagal sa kasinungalingan at panloloko. Walang pag-ibig ang lumalago sa salita lamang," Ruel imparted, slowly standing up. Kiefer followed. "Mauuna na akong matulog. Good night," Ruel said, and Kiefer followed him inside the house after cleaning up the mess they had.

Alyssa must have been fast asleep, as the lights on her room is out. He slowly lowered himself on the sofa, and fluffed the pillows. He stretched down to lie, and tried to sleep.

And started to dream about Alyssa, in his arms.

*****************************************

Kiefer left early, as he has practice the next day, but promised to be back to drive Alyssa home. Alyssa doesn't want to, but he insisted, saying that his Grandpa would worry and start to wonder why Alyssa had to commute home.

Alyssa has no choice but to give in, otherwise, their bickering wouldn't end.

She sat on the old swing that was under the tree on their backyard. Slowly, she pushed herself, and let herself enjoy this moment.

Kiefer's confession has somehow left her confused as ever. She felt blissfully wonderful that Kiefer feels strongly about her, that somehow, he can reciprocate the love she has secretly lavished him, but all the same, she felt guilty that she has taken Sarah's role in his life. Stealing the part that isn't hers in the first place.

Yes, Sarah's and Kiefer's relationship has been of convenience, and yes, it has been doomed from the start, but the reality that the wedding was of deception leaves a bitter pill in her mouth. Kiefer is married to Sarah in paper. She is just a stand-in who fell in love with him, and he with her.

Under different circumstances, would she have fallen in love with him? Maybe not. Maybe she'd just see him as a happy-go-lucky chap, a ruthless womanizer. She would never have fit in in his circle of friends.