Chapter 8

She was staring at her laptop.

It's 6:30AM, and she knows she needs breakfast, but she just can't believe at what she is looking on her laptop's monitor: NOTHING.

The hunt for Sarah continues, and it's driving her crazy. It has been 2 weeks, and all they could come up are empty leads. The CCTV on the street where Sarah crossed is said to be malfunctioning, and has been sent for repair, and the other functioning one has bad clarity, that you can barely see anything.

She has been trying to trace people who have been in contact with her cousin for the past couple of months, and she has been sending them discreet messages, too. The report has been filed to the police, and so far, nothing came up.

It seems that Sarah wanted to get lost.

She dropped her head in her hands. When before she was scared silly of where Sarah is, now she is getting a bit frustrated with her cousin's disappearance.

"Wake up, lovebirds!"

She hurriedly closed her laptop, and rushed out of her room. She looked at Kiefer's room, which was closed, and she could hear Grandpa's footsteps almost near the top of the steps.

No... no... no...

Kiefer brought someone with him last night, and the previous nights, too. At first it annoyed her, crushed her, that Kiefer could just easily engage in casual sex when he almost had been married to her cousin. But then again, even if married to Sarah, their deal is that they get to be free to "socialize" until they are ready to be committed.

She didn't have to voice out her concerns, or her opinions. She just tried to skirt away from the issue. Besides, Kiefer has been nice to her, and never tried to annoy her. So that's another blessing.

She stopped and remembered she was using a very old oversized shirt, with a Winnie the Pooh print. Very much un-sexy. She went back hurriedly, stripped, and put on a silk nightgown and bathrobe.

"I have breakfast for you, kids!"

She hurriedly pulled on her belt, and stepped out of her room. "Grandpa!" she called out a little too loudly, hoping Kiefer would hear her, and alert his "playmate" to hide somewhere. "Good morning po," she reached for his hand and pressed it on her forehead. She gave him a big hug. How she loves this old loud man!

For the days that they have been here, he would always visit them, for 10 - 15 minutes. He would always bring tales of his childhood, and even that of Kiefer, and they would laugh to their hearts delight. Sometimes, if ever he is not feeling too good, she would go over his place, and help Grandma prepare food for him. And they would engage her in their love story, of which Grandma would try to downplay the story, yet blush and giggle at the same time.

"Are you having breakfast with us?" Alyssa asked him, clinging on to his arm. However, Grandfather seems to smell something fishy. "What were you doing in the other room?" he raised his brow. Alyssa pasted a smile on her face, "I was just organizing my bags and clothes!"

He rolled his eyes, "Women!" He looked around and said, "And where is your husband?"

"Uh, in the bedroom. He is awfully tired last night," she hurriedly explained, blocking his view of the bedroom. "Why don't-"

"If he is tired, why aren't you?" he looked at her oddly. She laughed nervously, "Because... it's the adrenaline rush! You know, if you enjoy something, it gets you hyped up!"

Oh how she'd just like to fall on the floor and not wake up!

"You are strange, hija," Grandpa said, "Still, I need to wake up my dear-"