Chapter 33

Morning after brought a new promise of life, and love.

Like little kids in the morning, they'd greet the dawn, running along the shore, then dipping into the water, splashing and blessing the universe with their laughter. 

In the afternoon, they'd tour the place, visit taverns and places, take pictures, making memories of the beauty that is Santorini... Mingle with the locals, share food, absorb their culture, dance with their music...

And at night, they'd make love like reunited lovers, fires burning in their soul, bodies melding like gold, finding release, proclaiming their love.

It was a beautiful life.

They are now walking along an old path to an old church.  It was a pretty quaint church, with houses along the steps to it.  They were holding hands, admiring the view.  And as soon as they were on top, they looked over the sea, sparkling under the afternoon sun.

"I'll miss this place," Alyssa murmured, "Sobrang ganda dito... It's as if tinatakam ko na sarili ko ngayon, knowing na aalis na tayo bukas."

Kiefer squeezed her hand, and said, "We can always come back here."

"It's as if a part of me is in this place, parang more than Disneyland siya for me.  More magical, more raw, more real," she softly said.  Kiefer turned her to face him, "It is, too, for me."  He cupped her face, "Because this place affirmed that you are my wife.  This beautiful haven is our love nest."  His head moved forward, his lips searching for hers, "this place marked you as my wife.  And I, your husband."

They heard a clearing of the throat, and they jumped backwards, like two teenagers caught in the middle of something forbidden.  "Tourist?" the elderly man asked, and they both nodded in agreement.  "Come," he told them, and they followed him inside the church.

It was beautiful.  Charming and old, like an old familiar house you keep coming to in the summer.  The elderly man took them around, and as the tour ended, he looked at them, eyeing them stoically, "Bless your child." He reached to touch her tummy, and both of them were surprised by the gesture.

"Th-thank you," Alyssa replied, and this time, the old man smiled.

They started on their way back to the hotel, both with heavy hearts, because they have fallen in love with the place, and it's a sweet goodbye come tomorrow.  They are bringing Oia with them, and the love that has fully blossomed.

Dinner was quite a mix of bitter sweet emotions.  They danced the night away, on the old tavern where they first had their dinner, and the old lady gave them a piece of an old blue stone, an unusual one, for remembrance.  "Keep. Remember us," she sadly smiled.  And both Alyssa and Kiefer hugged her goodbye. 

Tomorrow, they fly back home. 
********************************

It has been a week since their honeymoon, and now, everyone could see subtle changes in the two.  They may not be seated together, but their stares across the room makes up for the space between them.  They could just be standing beside each other, but the spark is too much, especially when he'd lovingly gaze at her eyes, or she'd smile at him without him knowing.

Ella was one of the first who noticed the change.  "Ly, alam ko naman na kayo na," Ella said,  "Pero sana 'wag masyadong sweet at ipangalandakan na may jowa ka nang guwapo, at ako ay sawi."  They were on their way to the shower room after practice, and Alyssa stopped before getting into the stall. "Elllllllssssss...," she slowly blurted out in her sing-song voice.  Ella turned around to face her, noting her tone of voice, "Pucha, Valdez... Ano 'yun???"

"Uhm, hindi... Ko... Jowa... Si... Kiefer...," she slowly let out, grimacing, anticipating Ella's reaction.  Ella's brows scrunched, "Nagbreak kayo?"  Alyssa gulped in air, "Kase... Ano... Uhm, technically... Kasal kami..."

It took about 10 seconds before Ella could react.  Her nose twitched, "Pak-pakiulit?"

"Narehistro yung marriage namin...," she said in a small voice, and before Ella could react, she got inside the shower stall.  "Hoy, Alyssa! Kausapin mo ako ng harapan!" Ella was banging on the shower stall door.  Alyssa grinned and giggled like a school girl, over a secret love.

She fell in love with Greece, but more so with her "husband".  Kiefer was every bit of a sweet and thoughtful man every girl would sigh and daydream.  He anticipates her every needs and wants, and hasn't pressured her into moving in his bedroom.  He still thinks she wanted some bit of privacy, so they end up making love in the family room or in the library.

And they'd make sweet and slow love, relishing every minute, every inch of their skin, every heartbeat.  Like they have waited for so long for this moment, and now that they have it, they want to prolong every second of it.

She blushed when she remembered what happened last night.  Kiefer couldn't contain himself after dinner, that he had her sprawled on the dining table, and took her there and then.  He was rough and gentle, hard and soft all the same.  And he pounded on her as if he wanted to ingrain himself to her, be one with her.

She was getting undressed when she noticed a spot of blood on her underwear.  Dang, no lovemaking tonight, she thought, and smiled at where her thoughts are leading her.  Well, masyado ka nang spoiled, Alyssa, she thought to herself, smiling.  "Besh, may napkin ka ba? Penge naman ako isa," Alyssa called out to Ella, who seems to be talking non-stop on the next door stall.

"Sa dami ng tinatanong ko," Ella was sputtering, "Ibabalik mo sa akin tanong din? And take note, walang kinalaman sa pinag-uusapan natin ha?!?"

Alyssa giggled, her mood still high, in the happy side.  "Nakikinig ako, Besh! Ano ba," she snickered, and started to shower.

"Kung nakikinig ka, pwes, ano ang last kong sinabi?" Ella challenged her, and Alyssa chuckled.  "Uh, best wishes?" Then she screamed when a soap flew on her stall.  "Lintek ka, Ella!" she laughed out loud.

"Not listening ka! Ever!" Ella cried out loud, while Alyssa snickered.  "Hoy, nakikinig kaya ako!" Alyssa responded. "Nakinig ka ba nung pinagbabawalan kitang ma-fall kay Kiefer?" Ella retorted, and Alyssa just sighed, "Besh naman... Sinabi ko naman sa 'yo na hirap ako, di ba?"

"Oo nga, pero anong nangyari sa maximum tolerance nating usapan?" Ella replied, and Alyssa tried to swallow the giggle, "Besh naman... I tried.  I really tried."

"But I guess it wasn't good enough, ano?" Ella said, "Sinasabi ko na nga ba...Pero, Besh, paano na 'yun?"

Alyssa laughed, "Ang ano na naman?"

"Kung itutuloy ba ni Kiefer ang annulment?" Ella asked, and Alyssa smiled.  "Hindi na.  Parang less hassle na for us."

"E ikaw, sure ka na ba na si Kiefer na talaga ang papakasalan mo?" Ella interrogated, "Sure na ba kayo sa isa't isa? Kakasimula pa lang ninyo e.  What if magbago ang ihip ng hangin?"

"Naisip ko rin yan, Ells," Alyssa mused, "Pero wala naman talaga sure and certain pagdating sa relationships e.  May magbabago at magbabago.  Ang sure lang dun, is if kung kaya niyong ilaban."

"So ilalaban ninyo? Ganun?" Ella asked, and Alyssa smiled, "Ilalaban na, Besh."

Ella could feel Alyssa's tone getting serious again, and she does not like any sad drama from her friends.  "E yung bakasyon ninyo sa Greece? Ano yun? Nagtitigan lang kayo?" she asked, just to hear Alyssa's happy tone.

Alyssa bit her lip, preventing the grin from spreading on her face.  "Besh, ang ganda sa Santorini!" she exclaimed, and went into details about the places she has seen, and the experience.  Ella caught on her enthusiasm, and kept on asking her questions, especially if she has seen handsome local guys.

Kiefer was waiting for her when they stepped outside the gym, and Ella rolled her eyes at the way Kiefer was watching Alyssa. "Kung kaya ko lang talaga," Ella murmured at Alyssa, "babatukan ko yang asawa mo.  Kung makangiti sa 'yo, parang sinusubsob sa mukha ko na sobrang single at alone ko sa mundo."  She turned to bid Alyssa goodbye, to see Alyssa's face beaming.  "Isa pa 'to," she murmured, "Ewan ko sa inyo, magsama kayo! Mga nakakawalang gana... Goodbye! See you tomorrow."  And she  pulled Alyssa down for their customary kiss on the cheek.

Kiefer smiled at the way Ella rolled  his eyes at them.  "Problema nun?" he asked, and gave Alyssa a kiss on her temple.  "Wala," she giggled, "naghahanap lang ng kaaway."

"Huh?" Kiefer asked, confused, and opened the car door for her.  Alyssa got in and said, "Hayaan na natin si Besh.  Ganun lang talaga 'yun. Hirap makarelate sa mga bagay-bagay, lalo na sa pag-ibig."

"Wow, ang yabang nito!" Kiefer sarcastically remarked, and teased her in the process.  "Por que nakahanap ka lang ng poging asawa..."

Alyssa laughed, and kissed Kiefer on the cheek.  She still can't believe her good fortune.  A few months before, this was just a daydream, a fancy, whenever she looks at him driving her.  She'd pretend he's driving her somewhere.  And now, they are driving home, just like any ordinary couple would. 

"Kief, napaisip ako sa sinabi ni Ella kanina...,"she started, chewing on her lower lip.  "Tinanong niya if it is a good idea  na  kakasimula pa lang natin, kasal na agad tayo," she said.  "So... What does she suggest," he asked, changing gears.  Alyssa shrugged, "Wala naman. More of nag-alala siya, na parang -boom! Kasal pala tayo."

"And...?" he asked, his eyes on the road, "Do you agree with her?"

"Call me selfish, pero I wanted to keep this, keep you," she giggled.  "I... Ayoko muna mag-isip ng kung anu-ano.  Can we just enjoy this feeling? Pagod na ako nai-deny that I'm happy being with you."

Kiefer smiled on the rearview mirror.  He reached for her hand, and squeezed it, "Me, too, Babe."

She felt her phone vibrate, so she fished for it in her bag, only to find out-

From: Sasa

Ly here's my account:  1100882253 
BDO
Lilian Sarah V Eleseo
The car is P320k.  If you can't deposit by the day after I'll look for a new buyer.  Thanks, cuz.

She started to feel cold.  Like doused with ice-cold water.  "Kief," she whispered softly.  Kiefer could sense the tremor in her voice, "Babe?"

She took a deep breath.  "Sa-sarah... Tinext ako ni Sarah," she murmured breathily.

Kiefer looked at Alyssa, dread in his heart,  "What does she want?  Pera? I'll give her-"

"I'm... I'm buying her car," she whispered, and Kiefer could feel tension in his veins.  "So pera nga... How much does she want?"  Kiefer gritted his teeth.  Alyssa took a deep breath, "Kief..."

"Don't fucking tell me that this is over now!" Kiefer looked at Alyssa, frustration and panic in his voice.  Alyssa shook her head.  "No... No... Of course not," Alyssa mumbled, her eyes outside the car window.

Kiefer could not breathe... He could not believe his bad fortune! "Babe... Babe... Please?" Kiefer was murmuring, and Alyssa smiled, and reached for his hand to squeeze.

"Kief," she murmured, "Gusto... Gusto ko lang siya makita.  Malaman.. Kung okay siya.  Bakit siya umalis?  At... At..."  She trailed off.  She looked outside the window.  Kiefer could not take it anymore, "No.  I won't let you-"

"Kief, please...," she begged.  "Damn it, Ly!" he blurted out, and slapped the steering wheel.  He was heaving heavily now.  "I... I...," he was groping for words, afraid of this day, afraid that this will happen. 

Kiefer brought the car to an alley, where he can temporarily park.  Alyssa reached for his hand again.  "Kief, patapusin mo muna ako-"

"No, Ly.  I can't let you see her," he pleaded, "I can't let you see her, and leave me.  I know... You'll find a reason to leave... Kase andito na siya.  But I'm not giving you up! No... Not ever, Babe..."

She reached out to hug him, trying to veil the tears in her voice, "No, Babe.  Hindi ganun... Hindi ganun..." She pushed herself away so she could cup his face, "I just want... I just want to talk to Sarah.  Gusto ko lang sabihin sa kanya about... about us. For closure.  That she can now stop running away from you, because... because..." 

Kiefer nodded, "Because I have you.  And there's no place for her here."

"No," Alyssa smiled, her forehead on his, "because we have each other, and we have her with us as family.  She's family, Kief.  Kaya nga ako nagpapakahirap mahanap siya."

Kiefer sighed, "I'm not in favor of you meeting up with her, or talking to her... I'm not any bit comfortable..."

Alyssa patted his cheek, "Why naman?  Are you that hurt?"

"No," Kiefer murmured, "Malakas kutob ko... It's as if she's bringing bad luck or something."

"Since when have you started being superstitious?"  Alyssa chuckled.  Kiefer gave her a shy smile, "Since the day I fell in love with you?  I don't want to tempt fate."

Alyssa reached over to kiss his nose.  Kiefer grabbed her nape and devoured her senseless.
****************************

To: Sasa
Transferred P320k today.  Confirmation No. Is IE00021638435135, 10:05:34 AM.  We need to talk, Sa.

From: Sasa
Thanks, Ly.  Is the transfer confirmed?

To: Sasa
Of course.  We need to talk, Sa.  Please do not hang up the phone.  I'm calling.

From: Sasa
No.  I'll talk when I'm ready.

To: Sasa
Wag mo ako pinagloloko, Sarah.  I paid you good money.  The least you can do is talk to me. We need to talk.

From: Sasa
Fine.  We'll talk.  I'll text again when I hand the keys over.

To: Sasa
Wala ba sa bahay? We can meet there.

From: Sasa
Wala.  It's with me.  I'll text you next week.
****************************