Chapter 17

"Saan ka pupunta?"

It's Saturday afternoon, and usually, they would have early dinner with the Ravenas. Alyssa grinned sheepishly at him, "Ay... Ano... May dinner with TJ, and management sa beach volleyball..."

"Dinner?" Kiefer stood up from the couch he is seated. "Hanggang anong oras ka?  Sino maghahatid sa 'yo pauwi?" Kiefer casually asked.  Alyssa bit her lower lip, "Si TJ?"

"Okay," he said, and turned around to walk up the stairs.  "Habol ako for dinner tonight, Kief.  Promise!" Alyssa said, before stepping out of house.

Kiefer slammed his bedroom door.  He isn't sure why, but he is quite annoyed with the attention Alyssa is giving TJ.  Well, she can have all the boys that she can have.  It's not as if they are really married.  She'll have her life back as soon as Sarah is back.

He didn't realize he has been gritting his teeth all the time he has been contemplating about him and Alyssa.  He rubbed his jaw, and looked  out the window.  It has been a long time since he had women in his bedroom.  It's been a long time since he had sex.

He pulled out his phone and searched for his usual "playmates".  He was about to dial a number when he suddenly threw his phone on his bed.

Things have changed.  Definitely he has changed.

He plopped on his bed.  He doesn't care about casual sex anymore.  He doesn't like living a casual and carefree life anymore.

He wants to live.  To actually matter.

He stood up.  He changed into something casual, and did what he believes could help clear his mind, do what he has loved-

Play hoops.
**********************************

Oh they had a fun afternoon date.  Well, Alyssa thought it was a group date, until she got where they were supposed to meet.  It was just her and TJ.

But they had fun.  Just like the good old times.  Nothing changed: Alyssa would flirt at him annoyingly, while he would cringe at the display.  Then Alyssa would try harder, and he'll really be annoyed.  And Alyssa would burst out laughing, and he'll do the same.  Then they'll start all over again.

It was fun, until the time that they had to leave that it became awkward.  Too awkward.

"Sana tanggapin mo na this time ang flowers," TJ casually said, but it was laced with hopes and insecurities.  Alyssa could not bear to look at him, "Teej, pwede bang... Ano... Uhm, no flowers? No gifts? Ganun?"

TJ sighed.  "Mahirap ba talagang i-accept ang fact na gusto kita?" he muttered, and Alyssa turned her head away from him.  "Teej, don't make this any more uncomfortable...," she replied. 

TJ could not help himself, "Dahil ba mahal mo pa rin siya?"

Confused, Alyssa asked, "Sino?"

TJ opened his mouth to answer, then closed it.  He sighed, "O dahil may minamahal ka na?"

Alyssa was dumbfounded.  She could not help being transparent with her feelings, "Crush kita, Teej.  Alam mo 'yan. Pero niloloko ko lang sarili ko kung papatulan ko ang panliligaw mo."

"Ano ba ang meron siya na wala ako?" TJ asked softly, brokenly.

"Teej...," she dropped her head.  She stayed like that for a full minute, then with tears brimming in her eyes, she whispered, "Tanga ba ako na hindi kita kayang mahalin? Like sa paraan na iniisip mo, sa paraan na dapat maramdaman ko?"

TJ sighed.  She needs him as a friend now.  Maybe all he ever will be is a friend to her.  He opened his arms, and like a little sister, she came running to him.

And she welcomed the comfort of the familiar.  While he tried to make the broken pieces of his heart fall soundlessly to the ground.
**********************************

Messy hair bun...

He walked silently as he made his way to the kitchen.  He was up early, but Alyssa was even earlier than him, a cup of hot coffee on her hand.  She is sipping it absentmindedly, her eyes on the dawn breaking the sky.

He cleared his throat.  Last night, Alyssa was not her usual bubbly self.  Oh yes, she has been smiling and laughing with them, but somehow, there seems to be a lack of sparkle in the way her eyes normally would.

He reached for his mug, and poured coffee in it.  Alyssa turned around at the sound, and he looked at her, wondering what is going on in her mind.

She gave him a half-smile, acknowledging him, but she turned back and watched the sky turn rosy. 

He just looked at her back, trying to understand the enigma that is Alyssa.  Of why she came into their lives, and why she is still staying despite all the reasons she has for leaving them. 

And why he wants her to stay.

He cleared his throat and dragged a chair to sit beside her.

Alyssa knew it was Kiefer.  She took a sip of her coffee.  They were both silent, absorbed in their own thoughts.

Kiefer cleared his throat, "So, how was your official date with TJ?"

Alyssa just shrugged, and took another sip.

"I kind of felt he had something for you with the way he looks at you," he continued, and stole a glance at her as he took a sip from his own mug.  She just shrugged.  He sighed, "So ano to? Monologue ko?"

"Kief," she sighed back, "Ayoko pag-usapan si TJ..."

"Kase mahal mo pa si Jovee?"

Alyssa shot her head to look at him, "Ano?"

Kiefer smiled, "Pogi naman si TJ.  Kung landiin mo siya, wagas. Pero bakit ka nagkakaganyan? On your first date?"

Alyssa dropped her gaze on her almost empty mug.

"Tama ako, ano?" he leaned forward, his arm on his knees.

Alyssa sat up straight, and mumbled, "Sabihin na lang natin na mas masaya ako na kung ano man ang meron kami..."

"Bakit 'di mo muna subukan?" he asked softly, looking straight into her eyes.

Oh how she wanted to tell him! But she felt... "Wag na," she smiled sadly, "Mahirap na. Magkaibigan kami, magkasama pa sa tourneys.  Ang hirap 'pag di nagwork out.  Disaster in all levels."

"Alam mo, Ly," he sighed, and looked at the horizon, "Di mo malalaman hangga't di mo subukan.  Di mo malalaman kung baka siya na pala ang para sa 'yo.  Di mo malalaman kung baka isa din pala siyang lesson na kelangan mong matutunan." Then he returned his gaze at her, "Ang importante dun, sinubukan mo."

"Kahit na labag naman sa loob ko?" she asked back, searching for confirmation.  He removed his gaze.  "Susubukan mo lang, Ly.  Bigyan mo ang sarili mo ng chance na... Na maging masaya sa iba.  Hindi yung nakatali lang ang emotion mo sa ex mo."

Alyssa dropped her gaze on her mug, and finished off her coffee.

He chuckled, softly... Sadly... "Galing pa talaga sa akin ano? What do I know about love?"  He looked at her, "Sorry, I'm the wrong person-"

She smiled at him.  That smile that reaches her eyes, even if her lips somehow looks so sad, "You could never be the wrong person, Kief. Sometimes, yung situation ang mali.  It's never wrong to be generous... kind... to love..."

They just looked at each other, words suspended in the air.  His eyes on her, he drank the last drop of his coffee from his mug.  "Ly, Jovee could have been your one great love, pero there will always be someone... Someone who will treat you as much, who will feel as much...," he murmured, his thumbs fiddling his mug.

She nodded her head.  She doesn't understand herself actually.  Here she is, trying to control the emotions running in her veins... "Ang hirap magmahal ng taong hindi para sa 'yo," she whispered.

Kiefer sighed, "It's up to you." He looked into her eyes, "It's all up to you kung gusto mo siyang mahalin kahit ikaw ang nasasaktan, or mahalin mo siya dahil sa ikakaligaya mo."

"Pa-paano kung both?" she raised her eyes to him, meeting his, "Paano kung ikaliligaya mo, pero alam mong ikaw rin masasaktan?"

"Sino bang nagsasabi na masaya?  Sino ba ang nagsasabi na masakit?" he asked, then looked at the horizon.  "Ikaw lang naman," he whispered to the air.

"Kief? Paano kung takot kang masaktan?" she asked softly, still looking at him. He smiled at the sun peeking from the horizon.  "Then love is not meant for you," he said, looked at her and stood up.  "Kung mahal mo, di ba, hanggang sa kahulihulihan ng hininga mo?"

And he left her to her thoughts.
**********************************

"Grandpa!" Alyssa greeted the old man who was obviously donning a new polo shirt, "Ang gara po! Saan galing?"

"Well...," he said, "I've been planning to go on a trip to Maldives, but the plane ride is too much for me..." And he winked at her, "So I'm bringing Maldives here."

"Whaaat? Like a luau?" Alyssa asked, her eyes sparkling.  Grandpa laughed, "Yes, like a luau.  I want you to dress something really nice... A hawaiian princess!"  And with a naughty grin, "I want you to show off your abs... Your baby bump-"

"Grandpa...," Alyssa pretended to admonish him, "Kaya nauudlot e... Pinapangunahan mo."

"I'm just excited, my dear," he reached to cup her face.  "I can't wait 'til the day you say you are positively-"

"Hep, hep, hep," Alyssa shook her head, laughing.  "Darating din tayo diyan, Grandpa. Tiwala."

"I'm claiming it!" he cheered, just as Kiefer came in from work, "Right, Kief?"

Kiefer raised his brows, "Yes, whatever, Gramps."  He turns to Alyssa, "What was it about?"

Alyssa smiled widely at him, eyes flashing, "Hi, Babe!"  Kiefer remembered and kissed her, "Sorry, Babe. Pagod lang from work."  Kiefer automatically wrapped his arms around her waist, "Dinner here, Grandpa?"

"Yes," Grandpa beamed, and tapped his cane, "How I wish my granddaughter here knows how to cook dinner..."

Alyssa laughed heartily, "I'll teach you how to play volleyball na lang po."  Grandpa shook his head, "That's not how women should be raised! They should know how cook dishes, give massages, and... Have babies."

"Grandpa!" Alyssa shrieked, "Sabi ko na nga ba e!"

"Alyssa gives the best head massages," Kiefer blurted out, and Grandpa turned to address him, "And how is your sperm count?"

"My God!" Alyssa stood up, scandalized, "Teka lang po..."

"You sound like a virgin!" Grandpa's booming voice ricocheted in the room, and turned to look at Kiefer, "I don't smell sex in your room anymore, big boy."

"Grandpa," Kiefer warned his old man, "I think you are being a bit too invasive-"

"I want a grandchild, so naturally, you should be having sex every night!"

Alyssa whimpered and blushed.  Grandpa's eyes narrowed on her, "Has he turned cold on you?"

"No... No, no, Grandpa," Alyssa shook her head, of which Kiefer reached for Alyssa's hand and stood up.  "Tell you what, Grandpa.  I'll get her pregnant before-"

"My birthday!" Grandpa tapped his cane excitedly.  "That would be the best birthday gift!"

"Kaya may luau?" Alyssa asked Kiefer, and Kiefer bit his lip, nodding.  "And it's in 2 weeks," Kiefer said, and Alyssa whimpered again.  "Para akong hihimatayin...," Alyssa blurted out.

"Naglilihi!" Grandpa gleefully declared.

And Alyssa and Kiefer thought the night would never end.
**********************************

"I told you it's okay, Ly," Kiefer murmured as he dropped her off in the resto where she is meeting TJ.  And Ella.

"And it's okay kung 'di mo ako susunduin," Alyssa turned to look at him.

Kiefer looked at her, trying to take in her "date" image - a simple white dress, decent enough, skin covered, and a pair of white sneakers.  He rolled his eyes.  "Nasa area lang ako, susunduin ko lang si Luigi, then dinner kami.  Sabay na tayong umuwi later para di ka na magtaxi."

"What if gusto akong ihatid ni TJ?" she asked, after she stepped out of the car, and Kiefer sighed, "E di sabihin mo lang, nang hindi ako parang tanga na nag-aantay sa 'yo."

Kiefer left after Alyssa went inside the restaurant, and he drove to meet his good old friend who just came from California to spend some bonding time with him.

Luigi has been a close family friend, and he has migrated to the US to pursue his masteral degree.  Luigi wanted to surprise his family that he is back, and decided to stay for some days at Kiefer's while the family is still in the province, but will be home soon in about 5 days time.

"Musta, Bro?" Kiefer clapped his back, and Luigi grinned at him.  "Kala ko di mo na ako sisiputin," Luigi replied, and dragged his luggage to dump into the baggage compartment of Kiefer's car. "Ikaw pa? Baka sakalin ako ni Tita 'pag nalaman niya 'yun," Kiefer chuckled.

They had a good time catching up at the bar and grill where Kiefer had reserved a table for them and some old friends.  It was fun, boys being boys, gregarious and silly.  But it has started to get late and Alyssa is yet to text Kiefer. 

Luigi noticed that Kiefer has been checking his phone constantly and mentioned that to him, "May inaantay kang take home?" Luigi teased him, and Kiefer looked at him blankly.  "Huh?" Kiefer's dumb reply, and Luigi laughed.  "Yan tayo e.  Pag-usapang chicks, nawawala tayo.  Maganda ba 'yan? Pa-share naman," Luigi poked him by the shoulder, and Kiefer shook his head.  "Wala... Si ano 'to...," he trailed off.

Luigi noticed a sense of restlessness, as well as seriousness, in Kiefer.  "Sino siya? Girlfriend mo? May girlfriend ka nang hayop ka na 'di mo man lang pinakilala sa akin?" he joked.

Kiefer looked at him, and hesitated.  Then he drew a deep breath.

"Asawa ko."
**********************************

She heard laughter and some clinking of glasses when she arrived, and it stopped when they saw her.

"Uh... Hi?" she started, and Kiefer turned his back on her.  His friend just forced a smile on his face, and kept giving Kiefer glances...

"Ako pala si Alyssa," Alyssa moved forward and shook Luigi's hand as Luigi introduced himself, and she looked at Kiefer whose back is still to her.  She turned and signed at Luigi, Bad mood? to which Luigi just smiled and shrugged.  Alyssa smiled sheepishly and rolled her eyes, "Mauuna na lang ako sa inyo.  Good night po."

"Hinatid ka niya?" Kiefer asked slowly.  Alyssa turned around and sighed, "Hinde.  Nag-Uber na lang ako."

TJ did offer to bring Alyssa home, but Alyssa, out of respect for the Ravenas, stopped him.  Soon, when this is over, she'll have her life back-

She shook her head when Kiefer called out, "Andun lang ako.  Di ba sabi ko tawagan mo ako?"  She turned around and replied, "Kief, gabi na. Late na-"

"For chrissakes! Sasagot ka pa talaga?!?" Kiefer turned to look at her.  "Look at you dressed like that!  Paano kung may nangyari sa 'yo?!?"

She slapped her palm on her forehead, "Kiefer, may bisita ka, at pinapangaralan mo pa ako sa harap niya.  Just great.  Thank you!"  She whirled around and started towards her room.

Kiefer clenched his fist, and sat back down on the bar stool.  Luigi grinned and slowly approached his friend, "Akala ko ba, this is all for show...?"

Kiefer raised his eyes to his, brows scrunched together, "What is?"

"This arrangement.  Between you and her," he replied, and slapped his back.  "Alam mo, Bruh, I wouldn't have  believed you when I saw her.  I mean, she's not your usual type.  But I must admit she's hot," and that earned him a glare from Kiefer.  He even smiled widely, "See what I mean?"

"What the fuck are you talking about?" Kiefer grumbled, and took a shot of whiskey from his glass.  Luigi laughed, "She's hot.  She's lean alright, but super toned.  She doesn't have that luscious curves, but man!" Kiefer clenched his jaw, and Luigi patted him at the back, "Bruh, I wouldn't take her away from you.  Mukhang tiniteritoryohan mo na.  She's all yours."

"She's not.  As soon as we find her cousin-"

"Then can I have her?"

Kiefer stood up, his chair flying, and Luigi laughed, raising his arms, "I was just fooling around, Bruh! Chill!"  He picked up the stool and moved it towards Kiefer.  "She's not exactly your wife, but you darn well act like a jealous husband," he guffawed.  Kiefer gave him a stabbing glare, and he just grinned his ridiculous grin, provoking Kiefer.  "Sige nga, if she's not your wife, then who is she to you?"

"She's...," his mind went blank.

Luigi nodded, waiting for him to answer.  "She's...," he stammered.

"Your wife, Bruh," Luigi offered,  "You have definitely attached yourself to her."

Kiefer dropped his gaze.  "Hindi maaari," he murmured, "Hindi pwede..."

"And why not?" Luigi asked, reaching for the bottle of whiskey and started pouring on his glass.  Kiefer ran his fingers through his hair.  "She... She deserves...," Kiefer sighed, "she deserves someone decent."

"Kief, you are decent most of the time.  Except in bed, as claimed by your ladyloves," Luigi stated and raised his glass, "I think you should forget about the cousin and go for her instead."

Kiefer dropped his head, "Hinde... Hindi pwede..."

"Bakit naman?" Luigi turned to look at him, only to find his pal on the table, "Huy! 'Wag mo akong tulugan!"

Kiefer stirred, and sat up straight.  He drew in a deep breath.  "Hindi talaga pwede..."

"Bakit nga?" Luigi persisted.

"She's in love with someone else."
**********************************