Chapter 19

"So you made it...,"  Dani muttered at her oldest sibling, of which Kiefer acknowledged offhandedly.  He immediately reached for a glass of martini, and drank it up straight.

Dani raised her eyebrow, "That bad?"  Kiefer just kept on ignoring her.  She craned her neck to look around, "Where's Ate Ly?"

Kiefer massaged his temple, "Why do you care?"  He finished off his glass, and reached for another.  Dani stopped him, and asked, "Manong! What's happening?"

Kiefer gritted his teeth.  Earlier, he walked into Alyssa's room as she was trying on her clothes for tonight.  If you'd still call it as such.  And what he saw somehow evoked something in him, confusing him. 

She has taut firm muscles.  Her legs are lean and tight.  And her caramel colored skin glimmers, like beckoning him to touch it.  Her butt are tempting, perky and firm.  And her breasts are small but he knows would fit perfectly in his hands-

He reached for a bottle of Jack Daniels, but Dani was quick enough to stop him, "Manong?!? The fuck???"

He glared at her, "Leave me alone."  Dani glared back at him, "You are not okay.  You-"

"Alyssa, my dearest!" Grandfather's voice boomed all over the place.  Everyone within earshot turned to look at her direction.  Dani craned her neck, curious how the outfit would look on Alyssa, while Kiefer snatched the bottle and started to drink.

She looked perfect.  The mismatched outfit looks perfectly haute couture on her, with her slim frame and long legs.  She has that slouch though, but her exotic beauty is breathtaking, and her smile enchanting.

Kiefer avoided looking at her, trying to clear his thoughts of her.  He continued to drink into the bottle when Dani approached him, "Manong, it wouldn't look good if you leave your wife unattended.  Especially your make-believe wife who seems to be catching every male's fancy…"

Kiefer smirked and did not give any attention to Dani, more so on Alyssa.  He turned and walked further away from her.

Alyssa saw Kiefer's back, and she hurriedly walked towards him when she felt someone linked an arm on hers.  She turned and was surprised to see Dani.  "Uh, hi… Dans, thank you pala sa damit.  I'll just pay you na lang," she said in a hurry, her eyes following Kiefer's back.  Dani shook her head and smiled, "It's okay, Ate.  It's a gift.  Good thing it fits you well.  Even better than well."  Alyssa gave her full attention to Dani and smiled, "You have an eye for fashion.  Ang galing mo!" she gushed, and Dani smiled.  This time, warmly.  Dani pulled her towards their table, "Dito ka na umupo sa table namin.  Besides, you are family."  She gave Alyssa a wink just as Alyssa was about to correct her.

It was a perfect night, and Grandpa was in good spirits.  He was laughing boisterously, cracking jokes, and flirting with Grandma who seems to be poker-faced, but a tinge of blush could be seen on her cheeks.  Dani and Thirdy have started to warm up towards her, even now teasing her about being a true Ravena because of her skin color.

Alyssa laughed and danced the night away, but she's still bothered with the way Kiefer has been acting towards her.  It seems as if he despises her, and wouldn't even look at her shadow.  She really has no idea what reason Kiefer has for avoiding her, but she is now feeling hurt and alone.

It was Grandpa's turn to dance with her to a slow tune, and Alyssa smiled at his red cheeks.  "Naparami ata inom natin, Grandpa… masama 'yan," Alyssa teased him as they slowly swayed to the beat.  "I just had a little taste.  A small drop," Grandpa explained, "It's the cold night breeze that is making me all rosy."

Alyssa laughed, and Grandpa looked at her tenderly.  "I wish your daughters will inherit your beautiful smile," he said, and Alyssa beamed at him, "Buti pa yung smile ko, Grandpa, maganda.  Bakit hindi natin itodo na maganda ako?"

Grandpa laughed out loud, "Of course, of course.  How can I forget?"  He took her hand and kissed the back of it, "I thank you for making Kiefer a better man."  Alyssa smiled fondly at him, "Oh, but he already is.  Di niyo na po ako dapat pasalamatan, Grandpa.  Nasa loob niya talaga ang maging mabuti.  Front lang niya ang kabalastugan niya. Weird po, ano?"

Grandpa squeezed her, "I know, but somehow, you did something to make him realize that." He looked at Kiefer's direction, who seems to be talking to a group of female friends.  "I love them all, but Kiefer… he is always special to me," he narrated, still looking at Kiefer, "When he was a little kid, he never forgets to drop by the house just so he could tell me how his day went.  If he can't, he'd call me up and bug me with all his adventures."

He sighed, "he started to change as he grew up.  He became secretive, like afraid of saying something wrong.  But he'd still drop by, sans the stories.  But he'd still come. He'd still come."  He looked at him fondly, "He is the first person to check on me if I am not feeling good.  He will stay by my side if I am not feeling well.  He would give up everything for me."

And he looked sadly at her, "Yes, even his freedom."  Alyssa nodded, trying to smile, and this time, Grandpa gave her a beautiful smile, "But I guess it wasn't that bad.  Look at him.  Finding you."

"Pero, Grandpa," she asked, "Bakit mo siya pinilit na magpakasal ng maaga? What if he isn't ready?"

Grandpa laughed sadly, "I could see him self-destructing.  I could see him losing himself.  I wanted to be there to save him. But I know I can't save him forever.  Nor his parents.  He needs someone who can be there for him.  A partner.  A wife.  A bestfriend."

Alyssa bit her lower lip, feeling guilty to the core, "But what if I don't turn out to be what is expected?  Paano po… paano kung kabaligtaran ako ng inaasahan?"

"Then I would whip you into the beautiful charming lady that you are right now!" Grandpa laughed, and Alyssa pretended to laugh with him.  But still, her conscience is nagging her.  "Paano po… paano po kung nag-antay lang kayo, nag-antay lang siya sa tamang panahon-"

"There is no right or wrong timing," Grandpa smiled gently at her, then tipped her chin up, "There is only the now.  You have to do what you have to do while there is time."

Alyssa felt a tug in her heart, knowing that Grandpa is talking about his mortality.  She wrapped her arms around him, and brokenly said, "We will see you tomorrow, Grandpa.  We promise. We'll always find you in every tomorrows. And sunrises.  And sunsets."

************************************

She found him in a secluded area, with palm leaves for cover.  He has his back on her, and seems to be pissing, but she could hear a female voice, like a soft moan or grunt.  She was about to move forward when the woman suddenly stood up and said, "Ayoko na, Kief. Ang hirap, my gahd."  And before she can react, the woman saw her, and she was rooted to the ground.

"God! What the hell?" the woman said, dusting off her pants.  Kiefer turned around, and almost fell down with his head going dizzy over the sudden movement, when Alyssa cleared her throat and tried to speak, but only a squeak came out.  She gave another hard clearing of her throat, and babbled, "Kief, ano kase… si, uh… oo, si Grandpa…"

Alyssa tried to take a deep breath, while Kiefer and his lady love were glaring at her. "Si Grandpa, hinahanap ka.  We have to, uh, act the part… uh, ng ano…," she explained, fiddling with her fingers.

The woman with him rolled her eyes, "Labs, call me if you want us to pick up where we left off."  Then she walked past Alyssa, with that glare in her eyes.  She turned to look at Kiefer for help, when she saw his pant zipper partially open.

Alyssa wanted to drop dead right at that moment.  She just couldn't have come at a more inopportune time.  "Uh, Kief," she gulped, covering her eyes, and turned her back on him, "Yung zipper mo… uh… bukas pa siya ng slight."

"Pota naman si Tin o! Di talaga tinapos!" he slurred, and instead of zipping it up, slumped on a chair.  Alyssa thought he has worked on his zipper, and turned around only to see that it's still open.  She squealed, but tried to temper her voice, choking in the process.

"So ano? Titingnan mo lang ako? Di mo man lang ako tutulungan?" Kiefer looked at her with bloodshot eyes. Alyssa squeezed her cold hands together, and made tentative steps towards him. "A-ano ba kase nangyari?" Alyssa asked, trying to fill the silence, when she realized how awkward her question was.  "Wag mo na lang pala sagutin," she muttered, and took a deep breath.  With shaking hands, she knelt in front of him as she reached for his zipper, and realized it seemed to have snagged on something.  She felt around it, careful not to touch anything, when she felt Kiefer slowly slipping from his seat, half-asleep.  "Kief, dun tayo sa maliwanag," she muttered, standing up quickly.  Kiefer just gave her a grimace, but stood up as well.

They moved towards the lighted gazebo where the family gather for lunch, but is currently unoccupied. Kiefer just slumped on the nearest seat, which is a daybed, and pointed at his zipper.  Alyssa gave a deep sigh, and moved  towards him.

Alyssa tried to focus on the task, carefully, moving the zipper slowly, trying to maneuver it from the snag.  It took some time, but when she felt the zipper move up slowly, she let out a sigh of relief and smiled widely at Kiefer, "Okay na! Sa wakas!"

Kiefer stared at her jubilant face, her soft lips parted, her smile reaching her eyes.  He slowly reached for her chin, and tilted it up to look at even more closely, "What will I do without you?"

And suddenly, the room became so enclosed, that they could only hear their hearts beat, their breaths mingling, their shadows dancing…

Kiefer couldn't take his eyes off of her, his drunken state mingling with fantasy and reality… soft yellow light seems to make her skin glow, enticing him.  Slowly, he moved closer, dropping his hands to hold her shoulders.

His eyes searching hers, asking…

Alyssa took a deep breath, trying to calm the quivers in the pit of her stomach.  His eyes seem to drown her being, her rationale mind.  She stared back in his eyes, and was afraid of what she saw…

"Kief…," she murmured.

Kiefer gulped in, trying to control the shaking of his hands.  "I… I never realized you are this beautiful…," he whispered, and his words seem to caress her being.  "I'm just…," she trailed off, her eyes never leaving his.

"You are," he murmured, "so damn beautiful."

Slowly, counting heart beats, he lowered his head, closer to hers.  Slowly, he tried to control the trembling of his hands, and the pounding of his heart…

Then his lips touched hers, the merest of touches.  Like softly seeking permission, making her aware, that he wanted this.  She shakingly sighed, and closed her eyes. 

And he stopped.  And blinked.

This is Alyssa…

Alyssa suddenly felt cold, like a chilling realization that something has gone wrong.  Gone was the romance, that feeling of throwing caution in the wind because… because…

She stopped herself.

Kiefer dropped his hold on her, seemingly catching his breath.

Both silent, trying to count the seconds of the passing time.

"I'm - "

"I think we should go.  Inaantay na tayo siguro," Kiefer mumbled, angry at himself.

Alyssa nodded, and wrapped her arms across her chest, feeling the cold air hitting her skin.  She's wearing the daring outfit that Dani has given her, and she now regretted taking on the challenge that Kiefer posted.

They walked silently, slowly, each absorbed in their own thoughts.  They reached the area where the party is held.  Counting their steps, counting their breaths.

"There you are!" Grandpa's voice boomed.  "Why don't you dance with your wife, eh?" Grandpa gave them a wink before whirling his wife away.  Both looked sideways, wanting to get away from the situation.  "I can feign migraine, if you want," Alyssa offered, holding on to her temple, "mukhang sumasakit na ulo ko rin e."

"Good idea," he muttered, and grabbed her hand, "Let's go."

They bid their goodbyes, and started back home.

When Alyssa reached her room, she took a hot shower, scrubbed herself clean.  She closed her eyes shut, trying to erase the memory of what has happened earlier.  Or what was about to happen.

"Ang tanga-tanga mo lang, Alyssa…," she scolded herself, hot tears now flowing freely down her face.  "Ang tanga-tanga mo lang…," she continued her tirade.  As soon as she was done, she hurriedly got herself into her nightwear, which is basically a large oversized shirt.  She didn't bother with a shorts since her head is now actually throbbing in pain.

"Tama na kase, Ly…," she whispered to herself, "Tama na…"
************************************

He woke up with the sound of someone puking her guts out.

He slowly shook his head, glad that he didn't get to have a bad hangover, only a numbing sensation in his head.  He stood up to investigate, and realized it was coming from Alyssa's room.  He didn't know, but immediately got himself in, right into her bathroom.

She was on the floor, her head over the toilet bowl.

"Ly!" he hurriedly went over and rubbed her back to soothe her, "Ano nakain mo?"

Alyssa couldn't respond.  Another round of puking, and she felt better.

Kiefer was behind her, rubbing her back.  She wanted to close her eyes and go back to sleep, but her menstrual cramps is now rearing it's ugly head. 

Kiefer pulled her close to his chest, to let her lean as she was trying to catch her breath.  But this time, she was whimpering, softly crying.  "Alyssa? Bakit… dalhin kita sa ospital," he said, then stood up and positioned himself to carry her.  But Alyssa was shaking her head, her arms preventing him from lifting her up.  "You're not okay, Ly," he gritted his teeth, afraid of what is happening with her.

"Kief," she tried to control her breath, "it's not… it's not that bad.  Kakayanin ko 'to."  She slowly stood up and Kiefer was quick to hold on to her, and moved her carefully to her bed.

She curled up in her bed, tears dripping on her pillow.  Kiefer does not know what to do, he dropped on the floor, smoothing the hair away from her face. "Ly, dalhin na kita sa ospital," he begged, and Alyssa just closed her eyes shut.  "Alyssa, 'wag kang mag-inarte. I'm bringing-"

"Utang na loob, Kief," she almost screamed in pain, "masakit lang puson ko!"

"Huh?" he asked, confusion.  Alyssa hugged her pillow tight.  "Babae ako, Kief.  Meron ako, at masakit," she muttered, before fading into  sleep to forget the pain.
************************************

Kiefer never left her side.  He cleaned her up, and realized she has nothing underneath her shirt but cotton panty.  He carefully wiped her with a wet towel, and combed her hair.  He wanted to change her shirt and undies, but he's not sure how he'll do it.

Hell, he is having a turn on just wiping her clean.  She has toned muscles, begging for him to touch.  Her thighs are firm, and he could just imagine them wrapped around him-

Stop, Kiefer.  Not Alyssa…

He could not stop thinking about her.  About last night. 

And it has bothered him now, because he could not help himself.  He wants her.  He definitely wants her.

But he can't.  Not her, of all the ladies in the world.

Not Alyssa.

He let her sleep, watching the way her brows scrunched up in pain.  He doesn't understand menstrual cramps, but he has a funny idea that it's just a good thing he doesn't have to go through it.  Alyssa has been one with high pain tolerance, yet looking at her now…

He leaned his head on the side of the bed, him seated on the floor, leaning his arms on his bent knees.

What's happening?

He took out his cellphone, and asked his mate to inform his department that he's not reporting for work for the day.  He reached for Alyssa's cellphone on her night table, and scrolled the messages, looking for an officemate.  He found one, and sent a text message that she can't report for work today.

Then he found something…

A message from Jovee:

Ly sana di mo pa na-delete number ko. Jovee to. Just wanted to meet up with you.  Let me know where, punta agad ako.

And it was dated a month ago.

Somehow, Kiefer felt uncomfortable.  Like he felt left out and he's just peering into a story unfolding outside his house.  Like he is not part of the story, yet wanting to join in the conversation.

He sighed.  But there is now this heaviness in his heart.  Like a small stone that has seemed to bother him.

He closed his eyes.  What am I going to do with you, Alyssa?

He opened his eyes just as Alyssa stirred in her sleep.  He must have fallen asleep.  He stood up and went down to check for breakfast.  He could smell freshly-baked bread wafting in the air.  And sure enough, there is the good old pan de sal.  And there are fresh fruits, omelette, and cheese.  He took out the breakfast tray and arranged something for Alyssa.

Alyssa was wide awake, seated on her bed, when Kiefer got in her room.  She looked at him, hesitatingly, not sure what to say or how to act.  What happened last night is still clear in her head.  She felt... Rejected.  And she felt...

"You okay now?" he asked, putting the tray on her lap, helping her adjust her seat.  She looked at the tray, and smiled, surprised, "Ano 'to?"

"Breakfast?" Kiefer raised his brow, and sat at the edge of her bed. "With the way you were puking earlier, inassume ko na you must be hungry by now."

Alyssa squirmed, and Kiefer misinterpreted it. "Walang lason 'yan, if that's what you're thinking," Kiefer tried to joke, testing the waters between them.

Alyssa rolled her eyes, and grimaced, "Di ako makakain ng marami 'pag... Uhm... Yung may... Ano...uh, cramps." Kiefer smiled, knowing the tension has been diffused. He took her fork and spoon and was about to feed her when Alyssa shook her head, "Okay lang ako, Kief. I can manage."

"So anong kakainin mo?" Kiefer asked, and Alyssa looked over her choices. She reached for a pan de sal, and started nibbling.

Kiefer looked at her, mesmerized with the way she chews her food, making Alyssa self-conscious. Alyssa tried to cover it up by shoving the plate of omelet towards him. "Sa 'yo na' yan. At yung cheese," she offered.

Silently, they both shared the food on the tray, each trying to think of what to say. Alyssa finished her pan de sal, and Kiefer offered another one. Alyssa shook her head, and pushed herself carefully to reach for her pillow and tuck it in her tummy.

Kiefer tried to finish off the food, and realized that she hasn't had her drink. "Would you prefer coffee instead of juice? Ikuha kita," he offered, to which Alyssa declined. "Okay na ako sa water, Kief," as she reached for a glass.

Both trying to measure each other up, their situation.  Kiefer fighting his fascination over her; Alyssa fighting over the confusion.  The silence became unbearable, and even awkward.  Kiefer cleared his throat, "So, okay ka na?"  to which Alyssa shook her head.  She is still feeling the throbbing pain in her lower abdomen.  Kiefer cleared his throat again, "Ly, pan de sal lang nakain mo..."

"I'm okay na sa ganun, Kief.  Isusuka ko lang din 'yun," she explained.  She reached for the breakfast tray, of which Kiefer beat her to it.  "Gusto kong mahiga, Kief," she murmured.  Kiefer helped fluff her pillows, and asked, "May gamot ka ba sa, uh, sa ganyan?"  Alyssa nodded, and said, "Pakiabot naman ng medicine bottle ko sa vanity table.

Her table is a mess, but he was able to locate the said bottle.  He reached for it and asked, "Alin dito?"

"Yung mefenamic.  Okay na ako dun," she muttered, cuddling her pillow in a fetal position.  Kiefer put his hand in to pull one that he saw.  He then reached for her glass of water that she barely drank.  She must really be feeling bad, for she loves to drink water.  "Eto na, Ly," he pushed the glass of water to her hand, and she sat back up to take her medicine, and lie down back to bed.

Kiefer sat on the floor, facing her, as she tries to find a comfortable position to ease the pain.  "I... I took the liberty of telling your office that you're not feeling well," he said, and she nodded.  "Thank you," she whispered, her eyes half-closed.

He knows he is being dismissed, but he doesn't want to leave her. Not yet. 

He could sense that she is now sleeping, so he carefully smoothed her hair away from her face.  "Okay lang ako, Kief," she murmured. 

But he knows he really can't leave her.  And he knows she's not in the mood for questions.  She's not-

"Sino pala yung babae na kasama mo kahapon?" she asked softly.

"Sino dun?" he asked back.

"Yung babae, yung nahuli ko kayong...," she then sighed, and turned to her other side, her back to him, "Never mind."

Kiefer wracked his brain who he was with when Alyssa saw him.  All he could remember last night was he was with his best buddies, and they were talking about-

"Si Tin?" he asked, "yung babaeng maputi na medyo chubby?"

Alyssa just shrugged her shoulders, "Forget I asked, Kief.  'Di mo kelangan sagutin ang tanong ko. I... I was just mildly curious."

"Bakit naman? Tropa ko lang si Tin a?" he asked, and he doesn't know why the need to explain.  He touched her shoulder when she didn't budge, "Bestfriends lang kami nun."

"Bestfriends with benefits?" she softly asked.

"Huh?" Kiefer has never been so confused in his life.  She sighed, and whimpered, hugging her pillow even tighter.  "Ly," he patted her arm, "Anong meron kay Tin? Ba't mo natanong?"

"May bestfriend bang nagbibigay ng blowjob?"
************************************