Chapter 4

THIS. COULD. NOT. BE. FUCKING. HAPPENING.

Kiefer wanted to yell, wanted to break the window, wanted kick the bed to it…

His grandmother came in, with slow sure steps.  He stopped pacing the floor and looked at her.

Everyone was in his suite.  Except his grandfather, and his dad. He raked his hair with his fingers.

"Any news?" his grandmother softly asked.  Kiefer moved forward to seat his grandmother.  He shook his head.  His grandmother sighed.

It's already midday, and the bride is nowhere in sight.  Alyssa has given up calling her, as she has also sent out more than 20 text messages to her cousin.  She also tried to contact Sarah's friends, being discrete about it, asking them if they know of Sarah's plans.  And somehow, Alyssa is getting more and more confused.

No one from her friends knew she was getting married.  But Sarah was saying they were all busy and could not get away from work.

Even her parents were unaware of her getting married. 

Alyssa closed her eyes.  What was Sarah up to?

She already had that gut feeling about this… she just thought it was all about the sudden marriage that gave it a surreal feel.  That she did not expect her cousin to get married this fast, this soon.  And her cousin never mentioned about going steady with someone.

And above all, what really struck Alyssa was that Sarah has been too calm, too quiet about this wedding.  Yes, Sarah can be really quiet.  She's not the one to make a scene or have an outburst.  But not this quiet, not this serene.

That not even her parents were informed.

When Alyssa contacted Sarah's parents through Facetime, she asked when they would be coming, even if she knew they can't make it, and it seems her parents were even clueless. And that does not add up, as if Sarah is covering up something.

When Alyssa tried to reach out to Sarah's close friends on Messenger, she asked if Sarah made any plans after today, and all they said was that Sarah has nothing on her schedule, or she hasn't mentioned it.  One even claimed Sarah will be on a sabbatical.

So it would all boil down that only Alyssa would be the sole witness to the wedding from her family's side. 

She was dying inside.  And she does not know why.

"Alyssa?"

She raised her eyes.  Kiefer's mom was looking at her, with that soft concerned look on her face.  She has already recounted to them what she knows about Sarah, and right now, they are just waiting for news from Kiefer's dad.  "Po?" Alyssa asked, not following their trail of conversation.

Mozzy, Kiefer's mom, smiled at her, "Mahahanap din natin si Sarah, okay?  Let's not think too much."  Alyssa nodded, and she looked at Kiefer, wondering how he is handling this.

Kiefer's back is to them, his gaze outside the window.  She could not fathom if he is mad, or worried, or going insane, when his grandmother broke the silence, "We can't disappoint your grandfather. You know how much he has waited for today."

Kiefer sighed, and slowly turned around to face them.  As if trying to absorb all that is happening.  As if trying to face the verdict on him.  "So what do we do, Grandma?"

His grandmother slowly said, "The wedding must go on."  She addressed everyone in her soft yet steely determination, "We'll find a replacement for the bride."

Then suddenly, it's as if everything went in slow motion when Grandmother looked straight into Alyssa.  "You will do."

No wedding bells.  Instead, Alyssa heard the death knell.

And everything became a blur of activities.

She already had her shower, and was pulled for her makeup and hair done.  She sat on the makeup chair, looking at the ghost in front of her in the mirror.

What is happening?

Kiefer's mom was beside her, holding her hand. "I'm sorry we have to put you through the shock," she apologized for the family, "We… we just can't let my father be disappointed."

Alyssa turned to look at her, devoid of any expression.  She actually could not think.  She does not know how to react.  Or should she react at all.

Mozzy squeezed her hand, "Don't worry, this is all for show.  Technically, hindi ikaw ang ikakasal.  Sarah's name is on paper, on invitation. Just pretend you are Sarah."  She looked at Alyssa, pleading, "Please?"

Alyssa nodded, her mind refusing to cooperate.

The team of videographers and the photographers were refused to document the preparation.  Mozzy felt it was overkill, this game of pretend.  Instructions have been handed out to them: they could take videos and pictures during the wedding ceremony, and as much as possible, limit Alyssa's exposure.

Someone knocked on the door, and Mozzy turned and walked towards it.  "I'll be back," she said, and Alyssa automatically nodded.

Think, Alyssa. Think.

The stylist now said, "Dear, would you like help on your wedding gown?"  Alyssa nodded.

She opened the box on the table and slowly, gently, took out the beautiful dress.  Emotions are running wild again in her chest.

This is Sarah's.

She slowly laid it on the bed.  Then she looked for the lining, and could not find any.  "Uh, Michelle?" she asked, panic in her voice, "Di ba may lining 'to? Yung pang inner?"  Michelle nodded, and moved forward to help look for it.  They could not find any. "Dammit," Michelle muttered, and Alyssa wanted to faint.  She could not wear the dress without the lining.  It is too sheer, as if she is naked!

They racked the whole room, everyone helping them, but to no avail.  Alyssa wanted to scream, wanted to cry… Not like this, Sarah!  Not like this…

Then Michelle gave up and in a cool, composed manner, addressed the issue, "Alyssa, we could do two things: wear the gown as is.  You have skin tone underwear.  You can use your nipple pads, or we'll look for a camisole bra."

Alyssa looked at the dress, examined the sheer fabric and shook her head, "I… I can't…"

"Or," Michelle continued, "You can just wear your maid-of-honor dress. No one would know."
***********************************

The wedding is in an hour, and Alyssa's hand was shaking when she opened the door to her hotel room.  "Where's the gown?" Michelle asked, and she pointed to the built-in cabinet on the wall.  Michelle went over to take the gown off the rack, when Alyssa noticed something on the floor on the door.

A small white note.

Alyssa.

Please tell Kiefer I love him, but I can't. Not now.

I love you,
Sarah

Alyssa whimpered. So it was all planned by Sarah.

Michelle took in Alyssa's state on the floor, and helped her stand up.  She took the note, read it, and looked at Alyssa, "Two things, Alyssa - you'll get through this day and forget it. Or make a scene by doing another disappearance."

Alyssa looked at Michelle, "I… wa-wala na akong lakas para tumakas."

Michelle squeezed her shoulders sympathetically, "Good girl. Today, you'll be making your greatest performance."

Alyssa tried to laugh, "Di ko po binalak mag-artista."

"Then pretend this is the finals game, and your team needs that pep talk from you despite the numbers on the board," she said, to which Alyssa, who was surprised, asked, "Paano mo nalaman na I play?"

Michelle smiled, "You're my favorite no. 2.  I'm a fan."
***********************************

The violins swept the air with romance and dreams, and everyone inside the church was excited to see the bride that no one knew of, or has seen, and were also interested on how this whirlwind of a marriage will go.

Michelle turned to look at Alyssa, and whispered, "Breathe… and be brave."

Alyssa did, took a deep breath, and tried to smile despite her fears, "Thank you."

Michelle nodded her head, signaling for the chapel doors to be opened.

And she stepped inside, one at a time.

Slowly…

Making her way to the altar…

You can do it…

Almost there…

Don't look at them; eyes on the altar…

Her legs starting to buckle.  She stilled herself to move forward.

Please, not now…

A little bit more…

And she saw Kiefer.  In a black tuxedo.  Like fresh from a magazine shoot.  She took a deep breath and moved towards him.

Kiefer took her hand, and draped it on his arm.

And surprisingly, covered her hand with his.  She looked up at him, startled.

"We'll get through this alive," he promised.
************************************