Chapter 34

He slowly sneaked behind her... Careful not to make his presence known-

"Babe."

Alyssa was making Oreo cupcakes, and Kiefer is so tempted with the way the smell is wafting all throughout the house.  "Paisa lang, Babe," his hand inside the bag of Oreos.  Alyssa swatted his hand away, with a glare.  "Babe, naiintindihan mo ba ang "No"?" she moved the Oreos away from his reach.  He stood behind her, and easily reached for it.  "Kiefer, no," Alyssa was adamant.  "Isa lang, promise!" he moved closer to her, reaching for the Oreos.  "Come on, Babe. Hindi pwede ang isa sa 'yo," Alyssa admonished him.

Kiefer nuzzled her nape, "I think I like you better than Oreos." He took little love bites on her neck, with her hair up on a messy bun.  He loves how her baby fine hairs would stand up when he blows hot warm air on her skin.

"Babe," she moaned, "hindi ko matatapos 'to..."

"Let's just buy something else.  I want my dessert now," he whispered huskily, pulling her by the waist, grinding behind her back.  Alyssa bit her lower lip, trying hard not to moan.  He was kissing her neck, her shoulder, sucking her sweet salty skin, inhaling her essence, his hand moving inside her thighs-

"There you are, lovebirds!"

They hurriedly separated like teenagers caught in the act, Alyssa pulling down her oversized shirt.  It was Saturday, and Alyssa does not have any volleyball practice, while Kiefer has one, but still late in the afternoon.  Alyssa was preparing dessert for the family lunch at Grandpa's, and Kiefer has been hustling and annoying her while she iis baking.

"Grandpa, what happened to knocking before you enter?" Kiefer was not happy with Grandpa interrupting their foreplay.  He definitely is still burning, just by looking at how Alyssa is trying to pat her hair back in place.

Grandpa laughed his booming laugh, "I like it that you are doing overtime!  But don't overdo it please?  Before that young lady could get any redder and then explode!"

Alyssa hurriedly went over to reach for Grandpa's hand for blessing, "Mano po, Grandpa."  Grandpa laid his hand over her head and said, "Bless you, to bear a child." Alyssa stepped back, giggling, "Isisingit po talaga, ano?"

"My dear," he beamed, "I will do what I can do to make sure that happens."  He went to where the freshly baked batch of cupcakes were, "Are these for later?"  Alyssa nodded, and Kiefer muttered, "we won't be able to finish if you keep messing the kitchen..."

"Oh, so it's my fault now?" Grandpa reached for a cupcake, and Alyssa immediately assisted him.  "I'll just finish this one, and you can go ahead and continue doing what needs to be done."  He graciously reached for the cupcake, and winked at Alyssa, "And I mean about making those babies."

"Thanks for the support, Gramps!" Kiefer grinned at his old man, and Grandpa left them, laughing to his heart's delight.

"Babe?" Kiefer now focused his attention to Alyssa, "ready to pick up-"
"Utang na loob, tapusin na natin ang cupcakes!" Alyssa glared at him, stepping backward, away from him.  Kiefer shrugged, and started stretching, showing off his muscular body. "By all means, go," he huskily murmured, while Alyssa was trying to swallow hard, trying not to drool.

And he tried to tempt her while she was baking, removing a piece of his clothing, and Alyssa's, and thankfully, the cupcakes are ready, and so were they... They were ready for a round of sweet sticky dessert in the bedroom.
*****************************

Kiefer was giving her the looks while they were having lunch, and Alyssa tried to hide the blush on her face.  "You are insatiable," she whispered, and Kiefer deliberately moved closer, blowing hot air on her ear while saying, "Pass the dessert, please."  She reached for his thigh to pinch him.  Kiefer screamed.

This did not escape Grandpa's and Grandma's notice.  "I'm betting that she's going to give us a grandchild soon," Grandpa happily declared to Grandma in a conspiratorial tone.  Grandma patted his hand, "You're getting excited again, Mi Amor."

"Things have changed after their trip to Greece," Grandpa happily shared, as if spilling a secret, "Alyssa has that glow in her, and she seems to be comfortable with Kiefer's advances!  I bet they are doing it correctly now!"

"Mi Amor!" Grandma blushed, "Your manners.. We're talking about our dear little Kiefer!"

"He's no longer little," Grandpa brushed her off, "Look at how robust and fertile he looks like! As if brimming with sperm!"

"Mi Amor!" Grandma readjusted her table napkin on her lap, "I'm not listening to that."

Alyssa phone beeped, and she reached to check on it.  A message from Sarah.  She suddenly felt cold.  It has been a week since she deposited the funds, and she has not heard from her.  And now...

From: Sarah
The key is at home.  I can meet you there at  6PM. Don't bring Kiefer.

Hands shaking, she responded:

To: Sarah
Punta ako dun. Pero don't you think deserve din ni Kiefer ang explanation mo?

She chewed on her lower lip.  No response.  Kiefer could sense her agitation, "Is there something wrong, Babe?"  He reached for her hand, and squeezed it.  She just nodded, but whispered, "Pupunta ako sa dating bahay. Imi-meet ko si Sarah."

"I'm coming with you," Kiefer replied, but she shook her head, "Ayaw niya na isama kita, Babe.  Pero I'll insist another meet-"

"Look, I don't care anymore about her," he gritted his teeth, "I... I just don't like her appearing at this point.  I just don't trust her.  Not anymore."

"Babe, you've got practice," Alyssa murmured, and smiling sadly at him, "Besides, she's family.  Wala namang mangyayari na masama-"

"That's what I'm scared of.  She's family," he whispered, "And you'll fall again in the trap of being a good cousin to her."

"What are we scared of?" Alyssa soothed him, rubbing his arm, "walang masamang mangyayari.  Nasa isip lang 'yan."

Kiefer just shook his head, trying to erase the mental images.  He could not understand himself why he should be afraid. He is married to Alyssa, and even Sarah could not do anything about that.

He smiled a bit at that idea.  "Okay, fine," he  let out a sigh, "Ihahatid kita sa inyo, but I'll let Thirdy pick you up once  you are done.  I'll have him come over after I leave.  That would give you about 30 minutes to talk to her."

"Thank you, Babe," Alyssa smiled, but worry is still etched on her mind.

*****************************

The house is partially dark, with the lights open in the kitchen area only.  Manang greeted her as she was on her way out just as Alyssa arrived. Both were nervous, and she could not understand why, but they seem to hurry about what they should be doing- Manang going home, while Alyssa getting inside the house.

"Sa?"

She heard movement.  "Andito ako, Ly," Sarah said, her voice soft.

Alyssa saw her stepping out from the kitchen.  Alyssa could not help but run towards her and embraced her, "Sarah naman e..."  She pushed herself away to look at Sarah.  Sarah looked... frail... with dark circles under her eyes. "Anyare, Sa? Okay ka lang ba?  Saan ka pumunta? Bakit-"

Sarah gave her a small tentative smile, "Okay lang ako, Ly.  Sorry, hindi man lang ako nakapagpaalam-"

"Basta okay ka lang, okay na rin ako," Alyssa lied, hugging her.  "Halos mabaliw ako kung ano isasagot ko kina Tita.  Buti sinasagot mo pa ang tawag nila."

Alyssa pulled her to sit down on the living room, and she opened the lights.  "A-alam ba nina Tita ang nangyari...?" Sarah asked tentatively.  Alyssa stopped.  So... She's hiding something? 

"Oo, Sa, kase nagpatulong ako sa kanila.  Pero sinabi ko na dapat walang makakaalam sa problema na 'to, lalo na may sakit si Tito," she hurriedly replied.  Sarah nodded.  She then fished for the keys from her pocket.  "Eto na pala.  Alagaan mo si Prada.  Alam mo ang sentimental value niyan sa akin," she said softly, a sad smile on her face.

"Sa, kahit sa 'yo muna ang kotse mo.  Gusto ko lang masigurado na maayos ka, at... ," she hesitated, not sure  how to bring it up to her.

"May rason ako kung bakit ako umalis, Ly.  Kung bakit hindi ko tinuloy magpakasal kay Kiefer," she dropped her gaze, fiddling with her thumbs.  "Pero pwede mo naman sana pinakiusap sa kanya... Kung ano man yun... Alam mo yun, Sa?" Alyssa reached for her hand to squeeze it, "Maiintindihan naman nila 'yun..."

"Siguro nga," she raised her face to meet Alyssa's eyes, "Pero... Nung time na 'yun, magulo pa isipan ko.  'Di ko alam kung anong gulo ang pinasok ko..."

"Sa, ano yung narinig kong mga utang mo?  Yung sa pinsan ni Yuan?  Bakit?  Sana hindi naman sa bisyo yan...?"  Alyssa asked, worry in her eyes.  Sarah shook her head.  "Sana ganun lang kasimple ang problema ko," she said, unshed tears shining in her eyes.

Alyssa reached to hug her, "Di ba, Sa, nagkukuwentuhan naman tayo ng problema natin?  Bakit ganito ngayon? 'Wag mong solohin.  Baka makakatulong ako.  Gagawan ko ng paraan," Alyssa tried to control the sob coming from her voice.  She has to be strong for the both of them.

Sarah pushed herself away from Alyssa's hug, and wiped the tears from her eyes with her palm, "Madrama lang ako, Ly.  Di ba?  Maarte lang ako.  Wala akong pera, hindi naman tuloy-tuloy na pumapasok ang pera sa akin..."

"Pero bakit ganun kalaki?  At di ka naman siguro nawalan ng trabaho?  Kahit na part-time part-time ka lang, pero may trabaho ka pa rin, di ba?" Alyssa asked, trying to explain.

Then they heard a cry.  Like that of a baby.

Sarah looked  up, but didn't budge.  "Sa?" Alyssa is getting worried, nervous, and faint.  Sarah was just silent, unmoving.

Alyssa stood up and ran up the stairs.  She opened the room that used to be their bedroom-

A five-month old baby, on floor.  Alyssa hurriedly picked her up, and tried to comfort the baby.

Sarah was behind her, silent.  Alyssa was openly crying, her voice accusing.  "KANINONG ANAK 'TO, NA INIWAN SA KWARTO MAG-ISA?!?"

Sarah averted her gaze, just standing by the doorway.  "Tanga ka ba, Sa?!?" Alyssa hissed, "Bakit mo iniwan ang bata sa kwarto na mag-isa??!"

"What do you want me to do??!" Sarah hissed back, her face turning red.  "Wala akong... Hindi ko alam...," she was sputtering, "hindi ko ginusto ang mabuntis, at wala akong kaalam alam sa mga babies, okay?!!"

"Sarah, naman e," Alyssa was sobbing while rocking the baby who seems to be crying lesser now, "bini-breastfeed mo ba siya? Baka gutom na siya?"

Sarah turned to look for her bag.  She took out the feeding bottle and formula, and mixed it to give to the baby.  Alyssa laid her on the middle of the bed, tears still streaming down her face. 

Tears and dread is a bad combination.

"Kaninong anak siya, Sa?" she asked softly.

Sarah smoothed her baby's hair, "Ang cute niya ano?  Ang lago ng buhok, at ang itim-itim pa."  Alyssa touched the baby's face, tracing them gently, smiling when the baby looked straight in her eyes.  "Di mo pa rin sinasagot tanong ko," she said, smiling, looking only at the baby, "Sino ang tatay?"

"Does it matter, Ly?" Sarah shrugged, her voice small.

"Oo, Sarah! Oo," Alyssa lashed at her, and  Sarah was scared at the transformation.  She has never seen Alyssa this angry before!

"It doesn't matter... Not to me, or to Felicity," she whispered, touching her baby's cheek.  Alyssa gave her full attention to her, "Saan kayo nakatira ngayon?  Bakit di kayo bumalik dito?"

Sarah just shrugged, "Hindi... Hindi ako kumportable dito. I had to go away.  Gusto ko lumayo."

"What about... What about Baby Fel-" Alyssa stammered.

"Zitti," Sarah smiled, "She's Zitti."

Alyssa smiled, "Ang cute niya, Sa."  Her phone beeped, and she answered it.  "Yes, Th-," she replied but seems to be cut off, "Oo, 'wag mo na ipasok sa street namin.  Lalabas na lang ako... Oo, yung-... Ay, hinde.  Yung black na gate. Oo, sige... Ah, sige.  Okay lang."

Alyssa sighed, "Sa, if you need help sa baby-"

"Okay na ako, Ly.  Nagbayad ka naman, so may pera ulit ako," she whispered.  "Sa, mabilis maubos ang pera," she wanted to cry, feeling sorry for the sad state her cousin is in.  Sarah just smiled a small one, "I know.  But magsisimula na ulit ako magtrabaho-"

"Pero sino ang magbabantay ng baby... Kay Zitti?" Alyssa asked.  Sarah averted her gaze, "Siyempre, ako.  Dadalhin ko siya-"

Alyssa drew a deep breath, and sighed, "I'm sorry, Sarah.  Pero the father needs to know. Kelangan mo ng tulong from the father."

Sarah dropped her head.  And started to sob.
*****************************

Her room was dark.  Kiefer opened the lights of her bedroom to see her standing by the window, staring outside the dark night.

"Babe?"

Alyssa turned around.  "Congrats, Kief," she smiled, sadness brimming in her eyes, "you have a child."
*****************************