Twenty-nine

Chapter 29

Bethany

Harry lied to me. I trusted him and he lied to me.

I can’t stop thinking about it. How he led me on; making me think he was my friend. Making me think he had feelings for me, and I for him when he was really just using me.

Then bam. He hits me with this.

And he expected me to believe all that bull shit about his father. How naïve does he think I am?

Right after I exited the hospital doors-rather angrily, I might add-I start my now shattered car and warily check the premises for any sign of a black range rover. Finding the coast clear, I make my way to Mike’s house.

I would have gone to Zach’s place, but I don’t think he’ll want to see me so soon after the funeral. It might stir up unwanted memories.

So I spill my heart out o Mike, telling him everything that had happened. He listens quietly like the amazing friend he is, and even gives me some ice cream; even though it’s maybe three in the morning.

“Bethany,” Mike whispers when I finish my long rant over my melting ice cream.

I sniff, blowing my nose for what seems like the thousandth time. “What?”

He leans forward, resting his arms on the table in front of him. His blue eyes look tired, but also concerned for me. It’s then that I realize how grateful I am to have a friend like him. He puts up with me at three in the morning, listens to me rant and cry, and still likes me.

“Are you really sure with all your heart that Harry’s the one who killed Sandy?” he countered.

I stop and think. When I left the hospital, there had been no doubt in my mind whatsoever that Harry had done it. But Mike’s words ring in my ears over and over again, making me doubt my decision slightly.

And I find that, deep inside, part of me knows Harry didn’t do it. That month and a half we spent together proves to me that he’s innocent, and also a good person.

But the stubborn part of me still wants to believe that he’s guilty; that he just led me on and took my best friend’s life.

With the two sides of me arguing over whether Harry is innocent or not makes work hard for me that rainy day. It’s so hard to concentrate on anything, much less answering calls and taking messages. Harry seems to be hanging over my brain like the rain clouds that cover the sky.

And as I look up, I realize that my day was just about to get cloudier when the curly haired monster storms in the double doors of the building. He is soaking wet from the downpour, and looks entirely pissed. He runs a hand through his soaked hair and wrings out his shirt, leaving a small puddle on the shiny marble floor.

And then, what I fear most happens. Our eyes meet. I quickly turn away, frantically rearranging the papers that clutter my desk.

Subconsciously I hear him walking toward the elevator, dripping water as he goes.

Against my better judgment, I sneak a glance at him. He looks like he’s had a long day, and his features portray someone dejected and depressed. His shoulders sag and his eyes are cast down as he walks.

I chew my lip, realizing that the reason Harry’s like this is probably because of me.

You’re treating him just like everybody else has treated you. I tell myself, but quickly abandon the thought. It’s not my fault Harry’s like this. He brought it upon himself.

I jump, startled by the sudden interruption of the comfortable silence I had been sitting in. I freeze, staring at the staircase. Another similar sound drifts down to my ears, and this time it sounds like voices.

Without thinking, I get up from my chair and wander over to the base of the stairs. Straining my ears for the voices again, I hear whispering. I walk up a few steps, then a few more. Soon, I’m at the top.

I peek around the corner, and stifle a scream as the gleam of a silver pistol catches my eye.

___

damn that's short *cringes* im sorry for the cliffy :P but not

so did anyone hear about After becoming a movie?!?!?!?242??!?!122?!?! i dont like that fanfic but i would still watch the movie :D comment your thoughts on the movie below i wanna know what you think

comment what you think of this chapter too!! i love hearing what you guys think

im so tired. i had the longest day yesterday but nobody wants to hear about it so :P

(Monster by Dev at the side)