Thirty-one

Chapter 31

Bethany

As I scream and struggle in Paul’s tight grasp, tears begin to blind me.

Harry is innocent; what he said to me is true; and I didn’t believe him in time.

I care about him so much. More than I’ve cared for anybody in my life. The feelings I have for him must be love, or as close as it gets because I’ve never felt this way before. If I’m not mistaken, Harry hasn’t had too much of love in his lifetime, and I’m the first; the first to see him as he really is and still love him. We can’t lose each other now.

Through the sound of my wailing, I hear a noise. Not the pop of Des’ silenced pistol, but the sound of someone walking down the stairs.

Everybody freezes, and I stop crying. A plan begins to form in my mind, making a sinister smile cross my face.

Des’ face pales and he removes the gun from Harry’s back, pointing it at the top of the stairs where the poor, unsuspecting person will soon appear.

Harry’s hopeful face turns towards me, and I nod with a smirk.

Before I have time to think, I thrust my foot backward into Paul’s crotch. He groans, not having expecting my sudden outburst, and crumbles to the floor.

Run!” I mouth to Harry, who wastes no time in grabbing my hand and breaking for the stairs.

Pops from Des’ gun chase after us, as well as his shouts for Paul to get off of the floor and catch us.

We keep running through the front doors and through the rain, and don’t stop until we reach Harry’s car. He fumbles with the door handle, yanking it open and ducking inside. Harry tells me to get in the back and keep my head down.

I do as he commands and watch as he quickly opens the glove compartment and pulls out a hand gun, shoving bullets into it.

My eyes widen. “Harry, we don’t have much time.”

By the sound of the shouts growing louder and closer from outside, I know Harry better drive or we’ll never make it out of here.

Making a quick decision, I push Harry aside and turn the key in the ignition. The engine roars to life, and I back out quickly.

Harry starts to protest, but I cut him off. “I’ll drive, you shoot.”

He nods just as I step on the accelerator. Glass shatters somewhere in the back of the car, but I keep driving.

“Harry, be careful,” I shout over the sound of his gunshots.

“I’ll try.” Our eyes meet in the rear view mirror, and he gives me a reassuring smile. But just as quickly as he looked at me, his eyes are back on the car behind us again, shooting out the broken window.

One last round of shots ring out from his gun, then it’s quiet again.

“Harry?” I call worriedly, not daring to look away from the road.

A moment of silence passes by, feeling more like an eternity. “I’m okay. I blew their front tires out,” he announces as if it’s the most casual thing in the world.

I let out a relived sigh. “So we’re safe now?” I ask warily.

He nods, sitting back exhaustedly in his seat. “For now,” he pauses, and then smiles a full-on dimpled smile. “You can stop driving like a maniac now.”

I smile, and then start laughing hysterically. Harry joins in after a while, face turning red in that adorable way it does when he laughs hard.

Our laughter dies down after a few minutes, and I wipe tears from my eyes. “Where’d you learn to shoot like that?”

He lets out a few more chuckles, shaking his head at our random laughter. “Where did you learn to drive like that?”

“Touché.” I grin at him in the rear-view mirror.

He pauses, holding my gaze as I stop at a red light. He turns serious and clears his throat awkwardly.

“I think I have some explaining to do.”

____

i thought i deleted this chapter but yAY I DIDNT. i woulda been hella pissed.

this chapter sucks and its really short sorry :/

idk a song for this chapter either so :P my internet keeps freezing -_- its really annoying xx