Thirty-five

Chapter 35

Bethany

“Being around Harry makes me feel like I’m in danger sometimes,” I admit to Mike. I run a hand through my hair, sighing. “But other times, he can be the sweetest person in the world. He’s—”

I’m interrupted by loud footsteps coming near the door. I look up and am met with Harry’s back facing me. “Harry? Where are you going?” I ask, scrunching my eyebrows together in confusion.

He freezes in the middle of tying his shoes. “Out,” he mumbles vaguely.

I glance worriedly at Mike, who looks just as confused as I am.

“Where, Harry?” I prod, and then add quietly: “It’s not safe right now.”

He turns abruptly, eyes a darker green than they usually are. “Out,” he repeats through gritted teeth.

I’m taken aback by his tone of voice and sudden change in mood, but I keep silent, watching him walk out.

“Where do you think he’s going?” Mike asks me quietly.

I shrug, still staring at the closed door. “Who knows?”

I tell myself that it’s nothing to worry myself about; that he’s just in another one of those moods of his. But something in the back of my mind tells me otherwise. I stand, wandering aimlessly into the kitchen. “Something doesn’t seem right,” I mumble to myself.

Mike stands as well. “I, uh . . . better get going. I’ve got to study for finals,” announces, toeing the carpet.

My phone suddenly starts ringing loudly in my pocket and I snatch it out, holding up my finger for Mike to wait a bit.

I can’t help but hope that it’s Harry calling; but when I look at the caller ID, my heart sinks a bit.

“Hey, Mike?” I make a decision quickly in my head. “Can you run over to Harry’s flat and ask him to come back, please?” I plead with my eyes to him, listening to the sound of my ringtone.

Mike hesitates, but eventually nods, taking his keys from his pocket. “I’ll be back in a few.”

I thank him with a smile, quickly rattling off his room number, then tap the answer button on my phone just in time.

“Zach?”

“Hey, Beth.” The voice of Sandy’s former lover fills my ear.

“What’s up?” I ask tentatively, knowing he only really calls me when it’s important.

“I . . . uh, have some news.”

“News?” I scrunch my eyebrows together. “What kind of news?”

Zach lets out a long sigh on the other end, then speaks again. “You’re not going to like it . . . they found Harry guilty.”

I gasp involuntarily, nearly dropping the phone. What? That can’t be possible. What evidence did they have against him? I fight to keep my composure.

“A-all he wanted was to protect me. H-he didn’t mean for this to happen,” I whisper, closing my eyes and pressing the phone to my ear.

Zach scoffs, and then mumbles a string of curse words under his breath.

I let myself sink down onto the couch, suddenly feeling utterly exhausted.

“He never wanted to protect you. He pretended to be gone that day so he could kill—”

My head snaps up. “Harry didn’t kill anybody,” I defend.

Maybe I’m just trying to convince myself as well . . . as much as I like Harry and want to keep him safe, somehow I feel there's something wrong here.

"You're kidding yourself. The police found proof that it was him who killed her!"

I stand up again, pulling my hair in frustration. The very hair that Harry had touched. The hair that Harry wanted to see in its natural color.

Harry. I shiver involuntarily.

"That's not true."

There's a pause between us.

"I don't know where he is," I admit, rubbing my throbbing temples.

The man on the other line groans loudly.

"Shit, Bethany."

I sigh. "I'm sorry. He got upset over something and he left-"

"Never mind that. We'll figure it out, okay? I'll find Harry," the voice says quietly, almost softly.

I nod, even though I know he can't see it.

"Okay."

Suddenly, the door behind me bursts open.

I whirl around, dropping the phone in shock at the sight before my eyes.

_____

(Don't let me go at the side)