Thirty-four

Chapter 34

Harry

The next morning I wake up with a strange weight on my chest. I shift onto my side, but then realize I’m holding something.

Or rather someone.

The first thing I see when I open my eyes is blue, and blinking a couple times, I discover that it’s Bethany’s hair. A blanket covers the both of us, and as I wake up a little more, I can see that we aren’t in Bethany’s flat. We’re in the lobby on the couch. The events of last night soon come rushing back to me, and a faint smile crosses my lips.

I shake Bethany gently, attempting to wake her up. Her arms tighten around my waist, but she otherwise doesn’t move.

“Beth,” I whisper in her ear, close to her earring. “Bethany.”

She still doesn’t move.

“Beth,” I say a bit louder.

She groans, fisting my shirt in her hand. “I can hear you, Haz. You don’t have to scream in my ear,” she mumbles without opening her eyes.

“I didn’t scream,” I pout.

Bethany ignores me and rubs her eyes. I can’t help but think how cute she looks when she does that.

“We better go back upstairs. I’m starving,” she says, crawling over me.

I smirk, grabbing the blanket and silently follow her into the elevator, which is thankfully working now. I’m not really in the mood to climb all those flights of stairs this early in the morning.

I always marvel at how amazing Bethany looks in the morning when she first wakes up. How can any human being look so angelic when they just get out of bed? It just doesn’t make sense to me.

Once we reach her flat, Bethany makes some scrambled eggs while I watch her intently from the table.

I know she feels guilty for kissing me, but I don’t. In fact, the only thing that’s been on my mind since she first kissed me has been kissing her again.

I feel this weird emotion for her that I haven’t had for anyone in years. I can’t put my finger on it, but this girl is definitely unique; and she makes me feel unique.

“Hey, Harry?” she turns to me, her electrifying blue eyes meeting my dull green ones.

I don’t deserve someone as good as her.

“Hmm?” I mumble.

“Mike is coming over later, that okay?” she asks.

I smile, ignoring my disappointment. “It’s your house,” I reply.

We eat in silence, and not too long later the doorbell rings.

I awkwardly stand to the side as Beth lets Mike in, talking quickly about something.

“Oh, Mike this is Harry, Harry this is Mike,” she introduces us.

I have seen Mike around the college a few times, so I know who he is, but I shake his hand politely anyway. I can’t help but notice the look he shares with Bethany, as if silently asking her why I’m here.

I chew my lip, trailing behind them as they walk to the living room. They sit down on the couch, and I feel immensely awkward staying in there.

“Uh . . . I think I’m gonna go make a few calls. It was nice meeting you, Mike,” I announce, extending my hand toward him. He shakes it and Bethany nods, giving me a curious look. I ignore her blue-eyed stare and jog into the bathroom, switching on the light.

In all honesty, I wasn’t really going to call anyone; who do I have to call? I don’t want to stay out there and act like it isn’t awkward. Maybe I was wrong about Bethany having feelings for me. I just don’t know what to think anymore. It almost seems like she invited Mike over to be a buffer between the both of us, though.

I pull my phone from my pocket, deciding to at least play around on it. There was no way I was going back out there again.

After pressing the power button on my phone several times, I come to the conclusion that it’s dead. I sigh, remembering that I left my charger at my apartment. I exit the bathroom and head to Bethany’s room. She has an iPhone too, so I could borrow her charger.

I stop, however when I hear my name mentioned in Mike and Bethany’s conversation. I hide behind the door to Bethany’s room to eavesdrop.

“. . . I don’t know if I can trust Harry yet or not. I don’t completely believe him when he says he didn’t kill Sandy,” Bethany says.

I scrunch my eyebrows together. She still doesn’t believe me after I told her about my mum and sister? It hurts that she can’t trust me; but what she says next nearly knocks me to my knees.

Being around him makes me feel like I’m in danger sometimes.”

The world stops; I can’t breathe.

But what makes it hurt even more is the fact that she’s right. Being with me could very well endanger her. And I fucking refuse to let her get hurt or killed because of me.

Blindly fumbling for my coat, I decide I’m going to do something about it.

____

okay so im going to double udate today since i havent updated in a while (sorry about that btw) and this chapter is hella sucksh D:

*not proof-read*

(no song for this chapter oops >.