039 real life

i snuggled into the blankets as i slowly woke up, i flung my arm to the other side of the bed trying to find cole.  i open my eyes to look and see he wasn't in bed. i quickly pull my hair elastic out of my hair making loose pony tail fall out, i then brush my hair out with my fingers. i leave my hair to flow behind my shoulders as i get out of bed. it was my birthday , september 9th.

i walk to the kitchen still wearing what i had worn to bed, simply a bra and underwear. i see cole balancing a cup tray containing two starbucks cups and holding a take away bag from mcdonald's.
"hey," i smile looking at cole placing everything that he was holding onto the counter.
"hey, happy birthday," cole replies as he plants a kiss on my lips.
"thanks," i begin. "so, you went on an adventure."
"yeah, was supposed to be a breakfast in bed," cole laughs.
"i can go back to bed," i say pointing back to the room.
cole rolls his eyes and replies, "no it's too late now. the surprise is ruined."
"well, i am hungry so pass me some of that food," i complain playfully.
"wait a minute at the table, i'll be there in a minute," cole promised.

i took a set at out four seater dining table, i heard cole quickly running to our room and when he came back a soft, serene song came on, it was romantic and set the mood.
"okay close your eyes," cole requested making me shut my eyes.

cole fumbled around the room, rushing to finish, finally he says, "open your eyes."
my eyes flutter open, i see he had lit a few candles and set out food out as nicely as you can with fast food.
"thank you," i say looking around at the candles.
"it was the best i could do with the time i had," cole smiles.
"well, i think it's perfect," i swoon.

"so, now that we had breakfast i want to give your presents," cole says excitedly.
"sure," i reply.
"okay, wait here like 30 seconds," cole says getting up and going to the next room.

he quickly goes and grabs what he got her and comes back with a bag.
"okay, i'm going to give you this one first," cole say passing me a small package.
i open the box the was kept closed by ribbon, i pull the box open and see a set of playing cards. upon further gaze i notice that the cards have messages, i pick up the first card and it says, '#1 i love you because you have the ability to make anyone happy by entering a room." as i look through the card i notice there are twenty five each having a reason why cole loves me.
"cole, these are beautiful," i whisper as i look at them, my eyes are quickly laced with tears.
i look up at cole and he is just smiling as he looks at me.
"i have more," cole says as he pulls out another box.
this one slightly bigger but not by much. i pull the lid off carefully and see a jewellery box making me look up at cole with a thankful face. as i open the jewellery box i see a necklace, with a heart pendant. as i look at the pendant i notice writing engraved on it, 'friends turned lovers.'
"that's incredibly cheesy, i hope you know," i smile looking up at cole.
"yes, i know," cole laughs.
"i love you," i say reaching across the table to put my hands on his.
"i love you too," he says as he lifts my hand to his lips leaving a kiss on my skin with his soft lips.

i never meant to depend on you,
on anyone,
because i promised that i would never feel that way,
but now maybe i need you,
the way the earth,
needs the sun to see another day.

k.p.k