Chapter 22

It's my eighteenth birthday.

My mother wanted to throw me a formal party and since she rarely spends time with me, I agreed and bonded with her as we're preparing it. I'm on the top of the stairs, waiting for my cue. The host is asking some people to describe me before my grand entrance.

The Only Exception played.

I'm seating on a throne in front of the guests. I chose not to have an escort because it's bothersome. There is a question and answer portion, speeches from my relatives and godparents, and of course, giving gifts by my friends. Then we go to dinner and I swear I look like a mess. I'm not really hungry so I just watch my guests. They are about 150. This is more than what I expected.

The last part of the program is the 18 roses. My father is my first dance. My other guy relatives follow him. I also included my classmates in high school and in current.

Just as the 16th guy gives my hand to Yugyeom, Chris Brown's With You plays.

I look at the sound system operator and he seems oblivious. I think Dessa is the one who made the playlist but who would've known that song would come up at the perfect time. Well, maybe Dessa knows. I can see her meaningful smile from where I stand.

Yugyeom holds me closer. My classmates before him held me lightly on my sides while now; his hand is practically snaking behind me. We've spun silently for a while now but looks like Dessa told the host to let us finish the whole song. I signal them to call the last one, my brother. As much as I love dancing with one of my best friends, the program has to end.

That night, my college classmates sleep over my place. Well, not really sleep since I wake up with them still chattering. Only Dessa remains sleeping even though she went to sleep beside me even before I actually fell asleep. I go to my classmates and saw Yugyeom awkwardly slumped on one of our sofas.

"Gyeommie," I tap his arm. I'm planning to tell him to sleep somewhere comfortable.

"Kiss him. He might be a Disney Princess," Mark, as always, teases me.

"Hey, Yugyeom, it's five in the morning. You said we're going to watch the sunrise," I remind him. We planned to jog by the lakeside before they go home. Even our classmates try to wake him up but no use.

"Boo," I try. My eyes widen when he groggily sit up after that. What the heck?

"I was awake," he quickly says.

"Well, good morning, Princess. We're going," I say before going back to my room to wake Dessa up.

As we watch the sunrise, I find myself smiling. I like sunrises more than sunsets. I like beginnings better. My life has been a series of beautiful beginnings. There hasn't been any happy endings. There were no sunsets to tell me that it's getting dark. Everything just ends suddenly.

I don't know when my feelings for Yugyeom actually disappeared. I just woke up one day without any remorse. What he did to me doesn't hurt anymore. Maybe I just got used to it, maybe I just learned to accept things. The point is, feelings come and go. And I'm happy that even though our romantic affair has faded, Gyeommie is still with me.

After they go home, my mother shows me the video coverage of my party. Before my entrance, the host asked three people to give a speech. Yugyeom was the last one.

"Y/N," he shyly scratches the back of his head and I can't help but laugh. "Y/N is... a very complicated girl."

"That guy seems to know you a lot," my mom comments.

"We always don't get along because she's quiet and I like bugging her."

I nod my head. That's how we've been ever since we made up.

"But Y/N is very approachable. You can talk to her anytime. She gives the best advises. She is always there for her friends even though she herself is struggling."

"Okay, I like him."

"Mom!"

"He's cute. I actually looked for him last night."

"What? Why did you do that?"

"Why shouldn't I? I just asked if he's the Yugyeom."

"What do you mean 'the' Yugyeom?"

"The ex. Shame, I actually like him for you."

"He's not my ex!"

"I added him on Facebook."

"What?"

I open my Facebook and see that Yugyeom sent me a message.

Yugyeom sent two photos.

One is my picture, the other is his

One is my picture, the other is his. But we have the same pose and background, the sky during sunrise. Coincidence? I hope so.

And he said I'm the childish one huh?