41

she wears power like the silks of her dress

the same iron from her sword
pulses through her heart

and spreads steel into her veins

-KINGSLAYER // k.k.

__________

Sleep had been hard to come by recently. Amaris' pregnancy had progressed, making it incredibly hard for her to get comfortable enough to drift off. And when she would finally manage to drift off to sleep, her dreams were overcome by blood and violence. It was starting to take a toll.

The sun had hardly risen in the sky, but Amaris had been standing on the battlements of Winterfell for quite a while. Jon found her there, draped in a thick fur, with rosy cheeks and snowflakes melting in her obsidian curls.

"You shouldn't be out here," Jon said, alerting his wife of his presence. "You'll catch a chill."

"I'm fine, Jon," Amaris assured him, leaning her head against his chest as he came up behind her.

His arms circled around the front of her, hands coming to a rest on the swell of her stomach. Amaris smiled as their son began tumbling in her stomach, kicking his feet out. Robb always became restless when Jon touched her stomach, as if he knew his father was there.

"Any day now," Amaris whispered, looking up at Jon and smiling.

"Aye," Jon said, nodded.

Amaris frowned. "What is it?"

Jon did not answer at first, but Amaris kept silent. She would not force him to share his worries with her. He pressed a small kiss to her temple before speaking.

"The Long Night is coming—"

"And the dead come with it," Amaris said, repeating the words she had heard Jon say so many times. "I know this, Jon. I know."

"So you understand why I'm worried."

"I do," Amaris nodded, turning to face him. "But here's what I know. There is nothing we can do to stop the dead from coming. All we can do is prepare for a fight. There is nothing we can do stop our child from coming. All we can do is prepare to lose sleep from our son's cries. Some things are inevitable. Some good things, some bad things, some awful things. We will do what we can and figure out the rest."

Jon merely nodded. Amaris smiled softly and pressed a chaste kiss to her husband's lips.

"I'm getting rather hungry. I promised Rickon I would read with him after I broke my fast," Amaris said.

Jon took her frigid hand and kissed it before leading her back inside. As his warm hand gripped her icy hand, he remembered how back at Castle Black her skin had radiated warmth. At night, it still did, but now Amaris spent her waking hours walking around with no cloak. She had been doing so ever since she found out the truth to her sister's death. She also prayed less, and cursed The Lord of Light's name whenever something went slightly wrong. Amaris was drifting from her faith, and Jon didn't know what to do.