46

to live in this world you must be able to do three things: to love what is mortal; to hold it against your bones knowing your own life depends on it; and, when the time comes to let it go, to let it go

-in blackwater woods // mary oliver

__________

In the morning, Tyrion came to visit Amaris in her chambers. Daenerys had been kind enough to allow Amaris to stay in her old bedchambers from when she was a girl — a kindness Amaris is sure Tyrion or Varys had suggested to the Mother of Dragons. As Tyrion approached, Amaris sighed quietly and put aside her reading.

"This is my home," she said before he could speak. Her throat was tight, closing up with unexpressed emotions. "This is my home. I grew up here. I know these halls as well as I know myself. This is my home and I am a prisoner here."

"I wouldn't say you're a prisoner," Tyrion said delicately, hopping up onto the chair directly across from her.

The fire beside them was blazing, and the flames were calling out to Amaris. There was much she needed to see, but she refused to look. Her dreams, she couldn't control. But she could control this.

"You're free to walk the castle, the beaches, to go wherever you want."

"Except to my ship. You took that from me," Amaris hissed, feeling no need to stray into delicate formalities with only Tyrion present. "I cannot go home. Your so-called benevolent queen will not allow me to return to my family."

A moment of silence lapsed between them. And then Tyrion spoke, ever the diplomat. "I wouldn't say we took your ship."

"Then what would you say you did?" Amaris laughed lightly. "I'm not in the mood for silly word games, uncle." She stopped herself for a moment, closed her eyes and took a deep breath. "I know you don't believe me. Perhaps you even consider me a fool, but the Army of the Dead is coming. For all of us."

"My dear," Tyrion sighed, leaning in. His face was open but resolved. "What am I to do when I have a missing fleet and murdered allies? Do you have any suggestions?"

"You're making fun of me," Amaris snapped. "I don't appreciate that. I'm not a military strategist. All I want is for the people of Westeros— the common people, those who have no say over what the lords and ladies do to their lives— I want them to be safe. I'm sorry about your fleet and the lives lost, I truly am, but if you don't heed my words, millions of people are going to die."

Tyrion stared at her, unmoved. In all her time as queen, Amaris had never run into such ignorance and frustration. She wanted to hurl her book at the fire, or maybe ever Tyrion's face. How could she make him understand when it was so clear he didn't want to understand?

"Tyrion, you are a smart man. You rely on what you can see, I'm aware. And I'm aware of how mad it all sounds... If someone told me about the white walkers and the Night King I— I know I wouldn't believe it without proof."