Chapter 9

His parents were in the room when he got there.She had come straight from the airport and had arrived sometime in the afternoon. She was tired and emotional and missing Michael and she just wanted to curl up somewhere and sleep for a few hours. She had called Diane and told her she would come by after the visit.

The staff greeted her like a long lost friend and she wondered what peter had told them. It did not matter to her at the moment.

"He is bleeding internally Camille," Doctor Brightly told her sympathetically touching the girl's arm briefly. "We managed to stop the bleeding but his lung was punctured and the person just narrowly missed his heart. It is going to be a while before he recovers. He is unconscious at the moment but stable."

"Thank you." she made to leave but he held onto her arm. 

"Is everything okay?"

"Yes. Why?"

"He has not been himself for a few weeks now and you have not been around. What is going on?" Doctor Brightly had been there for her when her mother had passed away a few weeks after she had started working at the hospital and she had the highest regard for the kindly doctor but she could not share this with him.

"We have been going through something but we are sorting it out." she wanted to laugh at the absurdity of the statement.

"You can always talk to me my dear."

"I know."

                                                                 ********************************

"You have a nerve showing your face here," Daniel Grayson said as soon as he saw her.

"He is still my husband Mr. Grayson and you know why I had to leave," she told him scathingly, not afraid of him anymore.

"Peter is recovering and does not need the tension," Doris Grayson said hastily as she looked from one to another. "We need to be civil for his sake. Thank you for coming."
Camille nodded and went to bed to look down at him. he was so still and pale, she thought dispassionately. She still loved him, that much she knew but she was not crazy in love the way she had been before, thank goodness for that! he was so pretty! she brushed back the curls from his forehead, that should have given her warning!

                                                 **************************************

"Hey you okay?" Richard Shaw his assistant asked him carefully as he eased himself into Michael's office.

Michael looked up from a document he had been looking over. He had flown straight to New York and had come straight here. he realized that he looked like crap but he did not give a damn. "Why?"

"You look-" the man floundered at the hard look on the man's face.

"Do you have a specific reason for being here?"

"Yes!" he quickly handed Michael a report. "From accounts."

Michael opened it and scanned it quickly. "I already got this in my email Richard. You want to tell me why you are wasting my time?"

"Your mother called and asked me to see if you are okay," he admitted.

"You can tell her I said yes. Now leave and let me get some work done."

Richard hesitated and Michael looked up at him with an impatient sigh. "Are you going to be a pain in the ass?"

"She wants you to call her."

"I will in due time."

"If you don't she is going to send me in here to check on you."

"Goddammit!" Michael exploded. "Okay see I am reaching for the phone and I am dialing her number. Now please get out."