Chapter 2

June fifteenth dawned bright; a day full of promises and a perfect day for a wedding. The sun was high in the sky with a few scattering of gentle white clouds indicating a clear day. The RSVP had come back in floods! The wedding was going to be huge far above anything Camille had wanted. The argument about her not working when she got married had been shelved and a uneasy truce had been drawn. 

She had given up her small apartment and moved her few personal belongings over to the large house that belonged to her fiance's parents because the mother had told her that she had no need to bring anything. She felt stripped of her independence for the first time in her life and on the wedding day when she was supposed to be so happy, a heavy feeling settled deep inside her stomach!

"You look lovely," Doris Grayson swept inside the room in her blue silk dress and up-swept hair as she stared at the girl critically. She had hired a stylist for the occasion and the man had done wonders with the girl's hair, pinning it on top of her head and securing it with pins, allowing a curl to drift down to her cheek. The dress was couture and dazzling white fitting her body closely and then drifting gently down past her feet. Doris handed her a diamond necklace. "A family heirloom," she said briefly as she helped her to put it on.

"Thank you," Camille put her hand over the stone and stared at herself in the mirror, barely recognizing the woman there. She was leaving the room as Camille White and coming back as Camille Grayson. it felt strange and terrifying! 

Doris glanced at her tiny gold watch. "It is time."

                                                               ********************************

Michael stood at the back of the church and watched as she marched up the aisle. he had told her that he would be leaving two days before the wedding but he had lied. He could not bear to see her and know that very soon she was going to be off limits to him! He had kept the hope burning inside his heart that something would happen to show her that he was not right for her. His heart twisted as he looked around the church and saw the crowd of people. He knew her well enough to know that she hated crowd of this magnitude. Surely if he loved her he would have known that she was a very simple girl at heart? It was a high society wedding and he recognized several politicians and people of means in the crowd. His eyes drifted back to the couple standing before the minister. She was exquisitely beautiful! But he knew that much. His hands clenched as Peter lifted her gauzy white veil and bent to give her a perfunctory kiss on her lips. How could he be so detached? If it was him he would be hard put not to tear the expensive dress from her and take her right there before everyone! He frowned as he looked at the man. He looked as if he was at a cocktail party and could not wait to be somewhere else. How could Camille not see that he was not into her? With a tortured groan he left swiftly knowing that he was going somewhere to get stinking drunk!

                                                   ********************************

"Are you happy?" Camille asked him dreamily as they made their way across the floor. They had eaten and pictures had been taken as well as the toasts that had been made. he had thanked everyone for coming out and he had said on behalf of himself and his wife. She was his wife, whatever qualms she had been feeling. She was finally Mrs. peter Grayson and surely everything would be fine. She had hated the crowd but had put on a very brave face.

He looked down at her for a moment and had to acknowledge that she was exquisite. "Yes," he said briefly with a smile. "Are you?"

"I am over the moon." she whispered. She could not wait for the time when they were alone so she could prove to him how much she loved him!

"I am glad," the song ended and he handed her over to one of the guys from the wedding party leaving her bereft. "I am going to the men's room." the reception was being held at a very fancy hotel and Camille had cringed to think about the cost of everything. She had been asked to sign a prenup and she had done so without the slightest hesitation. She did not care about the money she only wanted him.

"Hurry back."

Jerome followed him. They had been feuding for the past two weeks and had not been seeing each other much. Peter turned around as he came into the elegant men's room. he had just needed a space to be by himself and breathe.

"Not a good time Jerome," he said grimly.

"No time is a good time with you," Jerome said petulantly, his heart aching as he looked at the man he loved so much. His black tux was customized and fitted him well. His curls were brushed back and looked neat for the first time but he looked so unhappy and Jerome could not help but feel happy about that! "I need to see you tonight."
"You are already seeing me." Peter deliberately misunderstood what he meant.

"I want you to come to our apartment."

"Not possible. You know I am a married man and it would look strange if I left my bride on our wedding night." he said sardonically.

"Are you going to sleep with her?"

"My parents booked the honeymoon suite so I don't think it should go to waste."

"You would not do that to me. To us." Jerome was drawing closer to him, his hands clenched. "You don't love her! You love me!"

"I am wondering right now if I am capable of that emotion." Peter said wearily wishing he could be anywhere else. "Give me some time Jerome please."

"In the meantime what am I supposed to do?" He demanded stridently.

"Stay put until I get in touch with you." he made to pass and stopped touching the man's face lightly. "It is not over for us."

Jerome looked after him, his heart racing like mad. It sure was not! And he would make sure he was!

                                                       **************************************

Camille sat in the bathroom for a full ten minutes before slipping the silky white peignoir over her head closing her eyes as it slid over her skin like a whisper. It had been a gift from her best friend Diane and it hugged her body like a second skin. She had taken the pins from her hair and the heavy strands fell to her shoulders in thick waves. she used her fingers to untangle the curls and stared at herself in the mirror. he was waiting for her in the huge pink and white honeymoon suite and she was finally going to give up her prized virginity to the man she loved! So why did she feel as if this was a mistake? Shaking her head she took a deep breath before heading out. But she had waited too long.  When she got into the room he was fast asleep with one hand flung across the pillows and the other on his chest. He was fully dressed in light blue pajamas and his breathing had leveled out. Camille stood there at the foot at the bed not knowing what to do! Was this normal? A groom sleeping before he consummated the marriage? The reception had gone on at midnight and no amount of hints that she had thrown at him for them to leave had not been taken up and now she supposed they were both tired. With great uncertainty she climbed onto the bed next to him and went onto her side, her heart troubled.

Peter opened his eyes briefly to look at her admiring the white silk nightgown she had on. He had felt like a monster pretending to be asleep but after talking to Jerome in the men's room he had known he could never be with her that way!