Chapter 12

"You are getting married."Diane poured the cream into her coffee and stirred it slowly. "You are a very lucky girl."

"I don't think of it as luck more like getting a second chance at life." Camille sipped her tea to settle her stomach. She had made the hour journey to meet with her best friend and to talk about the wedding. They had decided to have it in February.

"You had him right there and never noticed him. And still he waited on you until you found out that the man you were married to was not really a man." Diane sounded strange. "And just like that you landed a very rich man."

Camille looked at her strangely. "The money does not matter to me."

"Sure it does. Peter was wealthy and now to discover that you have landed one of the biggest fish in the sea."

"You make me sound like a gold digger."

"Women are basically gold diggers Camille or didn't you know that?"

"What's going on with you?"

"I am pregnant for a man who told me he was going to leave his wife for me. How gullible was I huh?" she ended bitterly.

"Oh Diane i am so sorry! What are you going to do?"

"I am going to have this baby with or without the asshole and I am not leaving my job just because he is a partner at the accounting firm I work. I made the mistake of sleeping with another woman's husband and I have to face the consequences of it."
"He is going to make it difficult for you."

"Well screw him!" she laughed hollowly. "Unless he does not want me going to his wife about it he had better leave me the hell alone."

                                                              *************************************

"You are quiet," Michael observed as she sat in the darkened room with her feet curled up underneath her. 

She jumped at the sound of his voice. "Michael I did not hear you come in." she got to her feet and put a smile on her face.

"Don't do that."
"Do what?"

"Try to hide things from me." he searched her face quizzically. She looked as if she had been crying. "Talk to me."

She let her hands wandered over his chest and helped him to take off his jacket and his tie. Michael did not like to wear shirt and tie but when he had meetings he was forced to do so. He tried his best to shuck the trappings of wealth but it showed.

"I am wondering if this will last."

"Why?" he asked her sharply.

She unbuttoned his shirt and let it slide off his shoulders. He worked out in the gym and even though she used the treadmill she was not as adventurous or as committed as he was but she would watch him she loved doing that.

"Marriages break up. I was married for less than six months and it did not last."
"And you know why." his hands gripped hers and stopped her wandering. "Where is this coming from?"

She looked up at him and sighed. "Diane is pregnant."

"Isn't that good news?"

"The man is married."
"And based on that you are wandering if we are going to last?"

She shrugged a little bit. "The guy told her he was going to leave his wife for her."

"And men say that to women when they want to get laid." he told her bluntly. "It is never usually true."