Chapter 10 (Continued)

Camille answered the phone a little anxiously, wondering if it was Peter. She had not heard from him since they had spoken at the attorney's office.

"Hi my dear this is Adele. How are you?"

Camille stared in shock. Why was Michael's mother calling her? "Is something wrong with Michael?" she asked before she could help herself.

"No!" the woman laughed softly. "As a matter of fact I am calling to remind you about dinner on Saturday which is two days away."

"I am sorry. I thought he told you."

"Told me what dear?"

Camille sighed dejectedly. he had stormed out of her apartment and had not called her in two days and he had not told his mother that they were not speaking to each other! Typical male, she thought in disgust.

"We had a fight and he has not called me."

"That boy can be so stubborn and pigheaded." Adele said with a sigh. "I still expect you to come darling. Just go to the airport on Friday morning . I will text you the details. You are not spending Christmas all by yourself in the unfriendly city."

"What about Michael?"

"He can do whatever he pleases."

                                                                      *******************************

"I thought you were coming by me for the holidays?" Diane sounded disappointed when she told her that she had plans. She had told her about the fight with Michael and her friend had told her to give him some space. "It's an unusual situation honey and both of you need time to adjust."

She told Diane about Michael's mother and her invitation.

"Go for it. I am sure they will make you very welcome."

Camille hung up the phone and went into the bedroom. she sank down onto the bed and reached for the bag with the dress that had started the argument in the first place. Why can't he understand that she had had to take the money and she was not going to go into a situation where she takes money from him? Not right now anyway? "Oh Michael," she whispered tearfully. "Please call me. I miss you so much!"

                                           **************************************

"Darling you sound like you are hard at work."

"I am Mother. What can I do for you?" Michael said a little impatiently. He was grumpy and he had not been sleeping well. Several times he picked up the phone to call her and stopped himself.

"We are expecting you and Camille for the Christmas and I wanted to remind you."
He was silent for a little bit and then responded. "I am sorry Mother I should have called. We are not going to make it."

"And why not?"

"It's complicated."

"You two had a fight?"

"Something like that."

"Want to talk about it?"

"No. I apologize Mother for messing up your plans."

"I still want you to come darling."

"I will try."

"I will see you then."

Michael hung up the phone and stared at the wall. He missed her! It was like his life had ebbed from him and he had no idea how to get it back! "Dammit!" he swore softly and pushing away he got up and headed out. He needed a distraction and he knew exactly where to go!

                                                                           ********************************

Camille was determined not to feel down. She had been through so much in the past months that she felt as if she had lived a whole lifetime. she spent the time fixing up the apartment refusing to look at the rugs where she and Michael had made love when there were no furniture int he place. she was going to his parents and if he heard about it along the way then that was his problem!

                                             ***************************************

Michael sat in the darkened theater and watched the men pranced about creating havoc in their armors and swords clashing. He had watched the movie over and over again but felt that it was the only one that could get his mind off his problems. he felt when the person sat next to him but did not turn to look until she spoke. "Hi,"

He turned then and looked at the smartly dressed woman with sleek brunette bob and light blue eyes. She was smiling as if she knew him. "Hi,"

"I thought I was the only one who sneaked out during work hours to come and catch the movie." she continued.

He turned to look around and then looked at her pointedly.

"I know," she said with a husky laugh. "There are others like us. My name is Sophia Manuel."

"I am Michael." he said briefly.

"No last name?"

"Not now."

"Okay just Michael. What do you plan to do when you leave here?"

"Go back to work."

"Where is that?" she persisted.

"Why?" he asked her bluntly.

"I figured we could go by motel on third and lose ourselves into each other." she said softly as her hand touched his thigh.

He took it off and put it back on the arm of her chair. "Not interested."

"You are not gay are you?"

"Maybe I am." he told her sardonically.

"I don't think you are."

"Look lady. I don't know you and I don't want to know you. If I wanted to have sex i know where to go."

"I am right here."

he got up in disgust and strode out of the theater hoping she was not following him! When he got back to the office he locked the door and laughed for the first time in a days!

                                                           **************************************

"Darling I am so glad you came!" Adele hugged her tightly before taking her arm and leading her into the living room. It had been snowing when she left New York and it felt strange when she got to the airport in Fort Lauderdale that she had had to shed her heavy jacket. They had sent a car for her and she had settled back and closed her eyes for the ride. "Marcus look who is here!"

Michael's father got up and hugged her urging her to sit by the fire.

"How was the flight?"

"It was good."

                                              ***********************************

Michael let himself into the darkened house and stood there looking around for a moment. The last time he had been here it had been with Camille. He dropped his bag and wandered through the tidy rooms. his housekeeper had made her visits and the place was spic and span. He went into his bedroom and sat on the side of the bed. he could still smell her fragrance inside the room and he shuddered as he remembered how she had felt beneath him. He dropped back on the bed and grabbed his hair tightly trying to will away the pain of not seeing her. he had no idea why he had come to Florida maybe to get away from her and to give in to his mother's badgering to come. He reached for his phone and called her. "I will be there in the morning."

"Good," Adele hung up the phone with a smile. She just had to tell Marcus that they need to leave Camille alone and have breakfast somewhere else. it was time for her son and the woman he loved to patch things up!