Chapter 13

Camille felt as if she was coming out of a very heavy fog. She tried to open her eyes but it was very difficult. She moaned slightly as she tried to turn her head. "Take it easy Miss White," a voice said to her. She opened her eyes slowly as the doctor peered down at her. "Welcome back." he said with a smile. 

"Michael?" she asked her throat scratchy.

"I sent him home to take a shower and get something to eat. That man has been killing himself ever since you had that accident." 

Camille's eyes flew to the corner of the room as the tall graceful woman got to her feet. "Adele?"

"Darling you gave us quite a scare." she nodded to the doctor and he left the room. She sat on the edge of the bed. 

"I am sorry?" she said with a slight smile. "What about my baby?" he hands flew to her stomach.

"Safe and doing well." Adele reached over and clasped her hands. "Peter Grayson came through for you."

"Peter was here?" Camille looked at her startled.

"He operated on you darling along with the other doctors. He basically saved your life along with the help of a Higher Being."

Camille looked at her puzzled.
"Michael prayed."

Camille smiled at that. "What did Michael say about Peter?"

"I almost had him kicked out," his deep voice said from the doorway. Camille's eyes flew to him and she felt tears at his tall ruggedly handsomeness that she had come to rely on.

He strode into the room swiftly and his mother made way for him. He had showered and shaved and was wearing faded denims and a light blue sweater. Adele looked at her husband. "Let's go get something to eat."

Michael knelt at the side of the bed and took her hand in his. "Are you trying to get out of marrying me?" he asked her softly.

"Not a chance, you are stuck with me." she used her free hand to touch his face. "You cut yourself,"

"In my haste to get back here." he kissed her hand. "Are you going to keep sending me over the edge?"

"I can try not to."

"Try hard Camille because I saw my life without you and I did not see a life." his dark blue eyes were intense as he stared at her. His hand holding her was trembling. "I am going to lock you in a box."

"Or tie me to you." she gripped his hand and it stopped trembling. "I never want to be without you."

"Good because you are stuck with me too."

                                                       *****************************************

She called him the minute she was alone. Even though Michael had said he was okay with it and was grateful to him she knew he was not quite there yet. "Peter it's Camille."

"Hey you are awake."

"Doctor Sullivan told me he already informed you."
"Yea you are right."

"Are you busy?"

"Aren't I always? But I am between surgeries now. I am actually in one of the on call rooms trying to take a nap but it is not happening."
"Don't you ever go home?"

"Not if I can help it. How do you feel?"

"I have a slight headache but it goes with the territory. I called to tell you thanks for saving my life."

"My pleasure."

"You left and came-"

"For you I would have done it again. You are the closest I came to ever loving a woman Camille and you know that. I wished things were different."