Chapter 9 (Continued)

Camille sat in the lawyer's office and gripped her pocketbook in her lap as if were a shield. It had been two days since Michael had told her that he was giving her space and two days since she had been doing her soul searching. She had fallen in love with a man she had not known and that in her book was not really love. She had been dazzled by his looks and the fact that he had noticed her above all the other women around. She had wanted the perfect marriage and to her marrying Peter would give her that! She had married an illusion and was paying for it now. Michael had not called her and she had not called him back even though she missed him and missed the time they spent together. But he was right. She needed space to sift through the confusing emotions going through her.

Peter had called her and told her that he was out of the hospital and would be home for some time. Jerome had been charged with attempted murder. Peter had set up a meeting with the attorney for them to get things out of the way.

"Unless there is anything else I would ask you to sign the papers and this will be all over." the man peered over his spectacles and looked at them for a moment. Peter had been driven to the office by his mother who was staying outside in the lobby while they dealt with their business.

"I want to offer Camille some money," Peter said softly. He had lost weight and looked weary and sad. Camille could not believe he was the same man she had fallen in love with. Images of him having sex with another man flashed through her mind and she cringed.

"No please. That's fine." she bit her lip and willed the tears away.

"I insist," he looked at the lawyer. "Could you give us a minute Jeffry?"

The man hesitated and then nodded, getting from around his desk and leaving the room, closing the door behind him.

"I was not honest with you," He eased slowly out of his chair and faced her. It would be quite a while before he could go back to the hospital and he was planning on going away to Europe during that time. "I allowed my parents and the fear of being exposed for who I am to get the better of me. I should not have marry you Camille and you do not deserve what we put you through." He smiled a little grimly. "I guess I am paying for my sins. I love you as much as I can ever love a woman and I want to give you this money as a gift and to show you how sorry I really am."

"It's not necessary-"
"Take it," he reached out and clasped her hand. "Even if you say no I will be transferring it to your account. I want you to find love again and be happy. I am going to be doing some sorting out myself and I am going away for a little bit to do it."

"What about work?"

"It will be there when I get back. Are you going back?"

"No," she said decisively. "Both of us being at the same hospital will not be a good idea. Besides I am thinking of moving to New York."

"Are you- Is he-" he stopped abruptly.

"You are asking about Michael?"

He nodded. "We are giving each other space right now. Maybe it will work and maybe not. I was too eager to become a wife and I am afraid I lost sight of who I am. I need to find it back."

"Will you keep in touch?"

"Not right now Peter," she used her other hand to cover his. "I also need space from you."

                                                             *************************************

"I cannot believe that amount on that check! What are you going to do?" Diane asked her as they met for lunch following Camille's meeting with Peter and the lawyer.

"I am going to deposit it into my account and let it stay there for a bit. I am a free woman after being married a few months and I am still trying to wrap my head around it," she said with a sad laugh.

"Five hundred thousand dollars is quite generous honey even for what that man put you through."

"I did not want it."

"Are you nuts?" Diane stared at her friend in shock. "You deserve every penny for pain and suffering."

"You sound like a lawyer."

"I sound like a woman who believes that he got every thing he deserves." Diane told her heatedly. "What about Michael?"

"What about him?" Camille toyed with her hot chocolate.

"Honey that man loves even the air you breathe."

"And he told me he is giving me space. What am I supposed to do?"

"Do you need space?"

Camille shrugged. "Maybe."

"You need to get your as in gear and don't let that wonderful man slip away Camille. You were very determined to marry Peter and you did. It never worked out because he was not who he you thought he was. I know you are hurting and I will never be able to imagine the hell you have been through.Me? I would have probably taken a knife to his throat but you are a fine decent black woman who does not believe in violence." she added with a grin. "The point I am making is this: You have this gorgeous man who is not afraid to show you he loves you. He has proven to you that he is into women and you are laying down arms and refusing to fight? What the hell happened to you?"

Camille stared at her for a moment and then smiled. "I am scared."

"So be scared with each other. Relationships are risks honey but when the right person comes along it can be wonderful."

                                                       **********************************************

Camille stared around the empty apartment contemplatively. She had finally move out of Diane's place and had packed her bag and taken a plane and moved out. She had stayed at a motel for a couple of days before finding somewhere. She was going to take a few days before she looked something to do. But first she had something to take care of. It was approaching December and the place was icy cold. She was planning to visit antique shops to find things to put into the apartment but first things first. She dialed his number and he answered on the second ring. "Hi," she said softly.

"Hi yourself. How are you?" his deep voice sent shivers up and down her spine.

"I am getting by. I am in New York."

There was silence on his end for a while. "So am I. What are you doing here?"

"I just rented my apartment. I an no longer married and I am thinking of looking for a job in a few days."

"That's quite a bit of information," his voice was slightly hoarse. "Where are you?"

She told him. "What are you doing later?"

"I have a meeting at four but I am free after. What do you have in mind?"

"How about I buy a bottle of wine and we drink to my freedom. i have to warn you though there is absolutely no furniture in the place but I have rugs and throw cushions."

"That sounds about okay," he said huskily. "Camille what are we doing here?"

"You said you are giving me time and I am showing you that I am willing to take it slow. I can't afford to lose you Michael."

"There was never any chance of that happening." he told her softly. "I will bring the wine."

She hung up and closed her eyes. Then she flopped back onto the rug, a smile on her face!