Chapter 11 (Continued)

"This is a very happy moment!" Adele clapped her hand in delight. They had come back home at three to find them cuddled in the living room. Michael had given them the good news. "A wedding and a grandchild on the way. Oh Marcus!" she reached for her husband's hand as he stood next to her.

"We do not want a big wedding Mother," Michael warned her. He could not stop the smile on his face or stop from cradling Camille in his arms. Christ he loved her so much that it scared the crap out of him!

"I am sorry Adele. I hope you understand." Camille told her.

"Of course I do darling. But Michael knows that as the only child of ours, this is going to make the press. Unless he has not told you who we really are." Adele looked at her son.

"Mother,"

"Michael." she looked at her son for a moment and then at Camille. "We make the news darling and yes I appreciate why you want a small wedding but you are going to have to be prepared to have photographers vying to take your picture."

"I am not you and Dad. I keep myself from the limelight." Michael reminded her. "I don't care about all that Mother and if this is going to become a circus then your only child will run off to Vegas and get married there. I want to protect the woman I love at all costs."

Camille looked up at him in wonder. It was so different that she did not know what to feel. With Peter she had had to fight to get noticed. With Michael he wanted to protect her. "It's okay Michael," she reached up and touched his jaw. "As long as you are with me I can face anything."

He took her hand and kissed it tenderly. "I will always be with you." he looked over a this parents. "A small intimate wedding and that's final."

"Okay I will get Carlene to start planning." Adele said with a glowing smile.

"Congratulations," Marcus said with a smile as he looked at them. "You are good for him." he told Camille.

"He is good for me."

                                                                  **********************************

"Thanks for meeting me," Peter told her softly, admiring the stylish blush rose pants suit she had on and the way her hair curled softly around her face. She looked happy and relaxed. "You look good."

"Thanks." She sat in the chair he pulled out. It was January and the snow was hurtling down from the sky. He had called her while she had been alone at her apartment trying to sort out what needed to go and what she needed to get rid of. She was moving in with Michael at his insistence. Peter had called her while she was there and said he wanted to see her. She had felt guilty not telling Michael but she knew what he would say. "Why are you in New York?"

"I had a consult with a patient." he noticed the diamond ring on her finger. "You are getting married."

"I know it looks as if I moved on-" she began.

"You don't owe me an explanation Camille. You deserve to be happy and I never accomplished that." he told her softly.

Camille looked at the man she had thought she was in love with for so many years and saw the weakness about his mouth and the dissatisfied look on his beautiful face. He had lost weight but that made him looked even more elegantly beautiful. "What about you?"

He avoided her eyes for a moment. "I don't know who I am." he said with a short laugh. "I am into men, I know that but I hate it and I want to hide it. Jerome spilled his guts and now they know at the hospital what really happened. The nurses and doctors look at me as if they feel sorry for me."

"You need to be true to yourself."

"I keep telling myself that," he told her with a sigh. "My parents are still trying to hide behind the fact of who I am and keep telling me that I need to get back out there and find a nice young lady." he smiled grimly. "You were the one who came the closest." he leaned forward and took her hand. "He is a very lucky guy."

"Thanks Peter." she said softly and squeezed his hand.

                                          ********************************************

"I saw Peter today," she told him as he sat to take off his shoes. His blue eyes flew to hers as she sat there on the edge of the bed. She had agonized over whether or not to tell him but she did not want a relationship where she hid things from him no matter how unpleasant.

"I see," he got up and took off his pants and then his underwear leaving himself totally naked in front of her. He was not afraid to strip and he did not sleep in clothes making her still shy around him. "Why?"

"he called me and asked me to meet him."

"And you went running."

"It was not like that and I resent the implications." 

"He wrecked your life and when he calls you go running. Am I incorrect?"

"He was my husband Michael."

"And I wished I could forget that," he turned and went into the bathroom. She followed him.

"I am sorry about my past but I cannot help it. I am with you now and I love you." he was standing in front of the mirror with his hands braced against the counter.

"Why does he reach out to you?"

"Because we have a past." she came up behind him. "We have a future, you and I and we have a child on the way. You have no need to be insecure where Peter is concerned."

He turned to face her. "You think I am insecure over that prick?" he asked her insolently.

"Michael please don't do that," she lifted her hands and let them wander over his solid muscled chest feeling the warmth of him. "Please understand that in spite of what he did I feel sorry for him and I care about him. I love you."

He clasped her hand roughly. "I love you like you will never imagine." he told her tightly. "This is new for me. I am used to just being with a woman and then leave with my feelings intact. You make me vulnerable Camille and sometimes I hate that, I hate the power you have over me."

"You have power over me too but I love it and it makes me feel wonderful." she whispered.

"Dammit!" he muttered as he pulled her into his arms. "I cannot be mad at you for long."

"Good," she whispered as she closed her hands around his neck.

He lifted her suddenly and went purposefully towards the shower.

"Michael what are you doing?"

"Taking a shower," he stepped into the shower install and turned the pipe on.

"Michael I am still dressed!" she squealed.

"Not for long," he whispered as he pulled her sodden nightgown over her head. "Not for long." he went on his knees with the water pounding on his head and rested his forehead on her flat stomach for a moment before his mouth drifted further down. Camille trembled and moaned as his lips found its target!