CHAPTER SIXTEEN

When Monday rolled around, I was happy to find that my mother was safely seated in the living room with her usual mug in her grasp as she watch the news. I kissed he head, sending her a wave on my way out the door.

The walk to school was the same. Quiet and cool. The dewy air around me made my hot flesh feel sticky. I cringed slightly, stopped where I was to shimmy my arms out of my hoodie and stuff it into my bag.

I'd slept with a good head last night, having pushed all my problems to the way back of my mind, hoping to keep them there as long as possible.

When the school came into view, my eyes glanced at the area where Kyle had parked his car that time ago when he'd randomly popped up at my house. I smiled but then frowned at the thought of him. I shook my head.

The gates were already open, students walking into the main building and loitering on the sidewalks and the track. People giggled and smiled amongst each other. I couldn't wait until I saw Emma and James.

I stopped by my locker first, grabbing my books for first period before heading to the cafeteria where I knew my two best friends would be waiting for me. When I saw them, my eyebrows shot up in slight shock. They were holding each other's hands, smiling and giggling in what looked like a flirtatious way.

Were they an item now?

I felt a little upset that they hadn't bothered to tell me, but then the thought of me lying to them for years popped up and I immediately pushed my feeling aside.

I walked up to the table, a bringer, genuine smile on my face.

They looked a little startled at my arrival, trying to quickly get away from each other. Obviously it was to late for that. "Ah uhn," my finger wagged in front of them, "I already saw. Can't hide it now.." Taking seat, I bounced up and down softly. "When?!"

When third period rolled around, I was seated at my desk already, books laid out in front of me and pencil being twirled in between my fingers. Half the class was already here, most of them up and out their seats, conversing amongst each other or in their seats and getting out the appropriate materials for class.

The desk behind me remains empty as the tardy bell rang. I let out a content sigh. Mr. Selfish wasn't here to annoy me today.

Speak of the devil, as the teacher stood to begin the lesson, the classroom door opened slowly. My breath hitched when he walked into the class, one hand stuffed in his pocket and the other closing the door behind him.

He definitely didn't look like that when we were on FaceTime last night.

He wore a white t-shirt, the dark ink of his tattoos noticeable under the thin fabric. His lower half he wore some simple dark jeans with small rips at the knees.

My eyes slowly glanced up to his head and my eyes winded slightly. Instead of his long hair he'd sweep back with his hands, there was just a slight buzz cut.

He had some hair, but it wasn't much. It looked good on him.

His left eyebrow had a slit in it, but I could tell it wasn't on purpose. As he neared to get to his desk behind me, I noticed the red scar going through his eyebrow where the hair was just last night.

What happened to him?

He glanced at me for a millisecond before his eyes darted elsewhere as he took his seat behind me.

I didn't bother to turn around and pay him anymore attention. The teacher marked him tardy on her attendance sheet, going to the smart board and writing out what we'd be doing. An essay about segregation.

Yay..

Zayn had stayed true to his word. Not once did he speak to me. We'd lock eyes every few minutes but other than that, the bastardized stayed to himself. He didn't talk to me in either of the two classes we had together.

I was surprised. Mostly because the last time I told him to fück off, he ended up finding my number sand tried making arrangements to meet up.

I was sitting at home in my room, the door wide open with Chewy laying in the doorway asleep. My legs crisscrossed over the mattress, causing the cool duvet to crinkle. I had my maths study guide in my lap, punching down on a textbook from History. The house was quiet, as usual. Mom was at work again . She'd left s note on the kitchen counter telling me she'd be out later and wouldn't be back until midnight hours.

The pencil in my hand was gliding across my paper as I worked out each problem. My bottom lip was captured between my teeth, my eyes squinted a little at the small front of the guide.

Before I had a chance to type something into the calculator school provided to all students of the high school- my phone rang.

Frowning, I set my work side and stood to grab my phone. I didn't look at the contact nine, just answered.

"Hello?" I spoke out softly. I was now stand in front of my mirror.

"Hey, Riyanna."

The sound of the voice had my face scrunched up in utter confusion and disappointment.

"Dad?" I squeaked.