CHAPTER NINETEEN

When we'd woken up, I had kicked Kyle out of the house, telling him that my mother would be home in a few hours. He whined like a little baby as he got dressed, wanting to stay longer.

"Just one more hour?" He pleaded, walking over to me after he'd slipped into his jacket.

"Byeee." I dragged the word, rolling my eyes playfully. When he reached me he grabbed my hand and pulled me up into a bear hug.

"I love you." He whispered. I smiled, hugging him back just as tight.

"I love you too. Now get out."

He laughed, grabbing his keys up off the floor. They probably slipped out his jacket pocket earlier. He reached my room door. One foot out, he turned back to me. "I'll call you tomorrow, okay?"

Sitting back down, I nodded while smiling like a girl who'd just touched her favorite celebrity's shoulder. "Okay."

One last look at me, he walked out of the room. I could hear his heavy footsteps. "I'm taking the last water bottle! And there's water on the floor, Riya!" I laughed. When I heard the front door shut close, I walked to my window to watch him pull off. I took notice of the goofy boyish grin on his toffee skin. My heart fluttered.

Monday came around and I felt like ignoring my alarm clock. Maybe skip today.. Sike.

When I get up in the morning, I'm groggy and discombobulated. I hear my mother's voice downstairs, probably talking on the phone.

I did what I had to do. Showered, did my hair, brushed my teeth.

When the time came for me to get going, I grabbed my red Florida State hoodie and threw it on over my black tank top.

As predicted, mother was still on the phone when I got downstairs, a laughing mess at seven something in the morning. I gave her a playful scowl. "It's too early for that, lady." And she rolled her eyes, shoving my shoulder jokingly.

"Girl, whatever. Have a nice day at school, okay?" She pulled the phone away from her face, smiling at me as I hugged her.

"I shall try." With that, I grab an apple from the refrigerator and leave the house with my bag and lanyard with my keys on it.

The walk to school wasn't bad, like usual. A few elderly people sat on their porches with cups of coffee, sending sweet smiles and small waves.

The school came into view. Students bustle into the building, chattering and laughing.

My eyes catch with a pair of familiar hazel brown and I groan. He's waiting, leaning against the brick wall a few feet away from the main entrance. The thought of walking right past him crosses my mind but is quickly dismissed when I go to do it and he grabs my wrist.

"Wait," he says, pulling me so that I'm face to face with him. I swat his hand away from me, crossing my arms over my chest.

"What?" My tone is clipped, aggravated. I didn't want to speak to him.

Zayn runs a hand over his buzz cut. He sighs. "I heard Kyle was back in town." And I scoff.

"And? You can't control him."

"Calm down. Didn't say I could. Obviously even if I tried the bastard wouldn't listen." And my anger began to bubble up.

"You," once again I find myself shoving a finger into his chest only for him to swipe it away again, "got some nerve calling Kyle a bastard, you dick!"

Zayn raises an eyebrow at me. Shrugs his shoulders. He toys with his lip ring, turning it with his pink tongue. The physical attraction I had towards him has simmered down a little, nothing but a small tug in my stomach now. He grunts as if in pain before he reaches up with his right hand to rub gently at the lip ring.

"Look, I don't wanna argue with you or anything. Just wanted to see how you were doing," was it just me or did this sound familiar?

"I'm fine. Kyle and I are fine. I don't need a check up, Zayn." I emphasize Kyle's name. I know they hate each three for reasons I don't know of.

He shrugs his shoulders, eyes shifting to a group of guys behind me. His teammates. Liam Payne makes his way towards us. When he reaches us, he throws an arm over my shoulder. "Ah, long time no see, eh?!" He falsely smiles at me and I scowl, shoving his arm off my shoulder.

"Fuck off, Payne." I grumble. My dislike for this kid started back in middle school. Eighth grade to be exact when he'd decided it'd be funny to put a big wad of gum in my hair. I still want to kill him for it.

Zayn and Liam share a glance. "Well," the bell rings, "I'll catch you around." Zayn sends me a smug smirk before himself and Liam make their way into the building with the rest of the team.

I roll my eyes and enter myself, heading straight to my locker.

-
*a/n

Do I use too many commas?