CHAPTER FOURTEEN

It was Saturday evening and I was currently standing in the kitchen, cooking some scrambled eggs. I was going to make myself an egg sandwich. For some reason, I'd gotten so addicted to the taste of egg sandwiches with extra mayo rubbed into the bread slices.

My stomach growled.

Chewy came up to me, rubbing against my ankles and I gently nudged him with my bare foot, laughing when he head butted the spot just above my ankle. He wanted attrition but I wasn't giving it to him. Not right now at least.

It didn't take long for me to finish cooking up my 'meal'. I'd toasted the bread and spread a lot of mayo into both slices before adding the eggs then squishing the other slice on top.

I grabbed a paper plate, making my way into the living room, taking a seat on the couch. The tv was already on so I just grabbed the smart remote and pressed the bottom to go to YouTube.

The feed was already filled with the videos I was looking for so I clicked on the first one I saw.

The song 'Bandit' by Justine Skye started playing and I smiled. I loved her voice.

I ate my egg sandwich in silence as the music coursed through the speakers hooked up to enhance the sound.

Mom was at work so I had the house all to myself. I thought about inviting my friends over for a sleepover. I picked my phone up to check the time.

Seven thirty. I chocked on my sandwich.

I was supposed to meet Zayn at six. I groaned. It was more than likely too late now, so what would be the point in getting dressed and having to walk thirsty minutes to the café.

At the thought, my phone made a ding sound and looked at the text message. It's as if he read my mind.

-
Zayn:
Soo...r u not comin? I've been sittin at this booth for 1 hour..
-

I bit my lip. We could always talk about this over the phone.

-
Me:
Lost track  of time. Jus call me..
-

-
Zayn:
Fine.
-

Not long after he sent that text did my phone start ringing.

I answered it after the third ring. "...Hello?"

"Thanks for standing me up, princess."

A shiver ran down my spine at the pet name. I clenched my jaw before answering him. "I lost track of time. My bad I guess."

He huffed on his end. I could hear shuffling like he was moving around. "We should FaceTime instead," he said after a while and I lifted a brow even though he couldn't see it.

"Why? We're just here to discuss why you felt the need to butt into my life the way you did." But as I said this, I found myself going to press the FaceTime call button. He answered quickly, that same smirk I wanted to slap off adorning his tan face. He was laying down, on his back. It looked like he was leaning against his headboard.

It was just now that I took notice of the fact that he wasn't in his car, or walking out of the supposed café he was sitting at. I'd ask him about it later.

"You look...comfortable." His hazel-brown eyes took in the fact that I was wearing a bonnet on my head. I blushed slightly, subconsciously tugging at the band of the bonnet. I'd forgotten I had it on. Usually when I FaceTime, it's with James or Emma so having the bonnet on didn't bother me when it was them. It shouldn't bother me now, but it did.

"Oh..." I forced a chuckle, "yeah. Whatever. Can we get to the point." I stood, grabbing my paper plate. Walking into the kitchen, I threw the plate away before going to the fridge to grab an Arizona juice. I popped it open and took a sip.

Zayn looked past the phone screen, probably at a tv or something before he spoke. "Well," he started, taking a finger and running his over his eyebrow, "let's start with why I wanted you to tell me about you two when we first started talking-"

"-You made me tell you, actually," I interrupted.

He rolled his eyes and continued, "as I was saying...I only made you tell me because I was concerned he was possibly forcing you into something. I may seem like an asshole but I have a heart, princess." He moved the phone so that it was lower on his top half, exposing the logo on his shirt. I ignored it though, my eyebrows raised in surprise.

"Really?" I asked him. I didn't believe him. He was a couple asshole and didn't care about anyone but himself. "I know you."

Zayn scoffed at that, glaring at me through the phone. I could feel the heat of his glare. I slouched back into the couch. Even on the phone he was intimidating. "You shouldn't judge a book by its cover... Especially since you only know me," he air quoted with his free hand, "through what people have told you."